Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had just bought my AEM intake for my '06 6i. When I installed it, it threw a code. I have been in contact with AEM and they want to gauge the amount of people with this issue. The issue can be "the check engine light", "water damge" (water sucked into the engine and siezing because filter is to low), "instructions being wrong", anything! AEM is thinking about making a MAF customizer for there system and hooking us up with it. PLEASE RESPOND and flood this with your problems so they can see. Moderators please spread the word or put this post where it needs to be. I will be updating this periodically with AEM's answers.

killa
-Tom

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
To be honest, this is nothing new. With few exceptions, every intake that does not have the ability to manipulate the MAF signals will throw the CEL.

AEM and Injen have been aware (from reading this board) of CEL illumination with the Mazda 6 since they released their products back in 2003.

You need to get a hold of a code scanner if you haven't done so already and find out the trouble code displaying relates to the intake.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest, this is nothing new. With few exceptions, every intake that does not have the ability to manipulate the MAF signals will throw the CEL.

AEM and Injen have been aware (from reading this board) of CEL illumination with the Mazda 6 since they released their products back in 2003.

You need to get a hold of a code scanner if you haven't done so already and find out the trouble code displaying relates to the intake.
[/b]
I did get the code, and I know it's nothing new. When I was talking to AEM today they said they were going to look into making a MAF customizer and give it to us poor schmo's who got a code. I'm doing this to get enough people involved so they will finally step up and take care of the problem they had in 2003.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
If they actually tested the product on a real car for more than a few months they would have known the problem to start out with. Putting a MAF sensor calibrated for a 2.5" tube into a 3" tube is going to throw off the MAF readings. I seriously doubt they did any real engineering analysis on their Mazda6 CAI products before putting them up for public sale. This is the same level of development you or I would do in our garage, they just have a nice tube bender and some annodized pipe.... :sarc: (Actually, I measured the MAF and made a special tube before creating my CAI....) :nana:

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
If I were you custom, I'd demand AEM buy back the product from you and take your cash back to buy an intake that actually works on your car properly.

We all screamed at Injen and AEM back in 2003 and nothing happened. They both continue to sell their intakes for the 6 unchanged.

If you can round up the troops enough to get a change, I will tip my hat to you.

I just wanted to let you know some background.

Good hunting!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, but nobody seems to care and support this. I guess they don't want their car done properly, looks like i'm going against AEM alone. lol If people actually started responding maybe we could do something about this, haha. ALLWELL.

·
Registered
567 Posts
There is already a solution. A good company made a GOOD intake system for our cars. The company is called CPE.

We do want our cars done properly, that is why you haven't seen a person post about buying an AEM or Injen intake for a long time now. CPE has a MAF customizer out to retrofit the Injen intake, and I don't know if it will properly compensate the AEM one or not. Worth investigating, though. But for the money, I'd throw the AEM into the trash and buy the whole CPE system.

·
Registered
456 Posts
it took almost 4 years of nagging to get a f'in dash kit that worked for our cars, you really think AEM is going to stop production of a cai just so they can stop a code from being thrown, it would take a lot more than a fucking army of mazda 6 owners to get them to do that.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It is also important to note that CPE didnt design a intake that didnt throw a cell, they made a box that keeps the cell from showing up. Their intake would throw a cell as well if not for the box. Not saying it isnt a good product, I just want the newbies to understand the facts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts