Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going back with everyone who had the intermittent lack of power. Before I got the reflash I would get that nice surge of power, and then the 'not so much power at all'. After the flash things are smoother but no nice surge (I'm hitting V-tec yo! lol JK), and the car feels slow sometimes.

Those who had these concerns, was it remidied with an AP flash? My biggest beef is the throttle being restricted. 91 octane and JUST went to the NGK 1 step colder, will see how that goes, battery reset.

Like most before this the car really pulled in all gears, stupid fun. Now it is a bit lamesauce. Still fun to drive but I been beaten off the line from a newer Lincoln something :angry:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, no AccessPort yet. Thinking of getting it though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
reflash as in at the dealership?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, had the dealer do the emissions recall reflash. They had also done the recall for the VTCS flapper.

·
Registered
663 Posts
you're gonna need the AP to feel that surge again. Really wish I never took my car to the dealer for the emissions flash many moons ago.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
you're gonna need the AP to feel that surge again. Really wish I never took my car to the dealer for the emissions flash many moons ago.
Yeah, I never would. The only possible outcome from an "emissions flash" is less power. That sucks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear ya. I might create another post as I have confirmed why:

Throttle plate only opens up about 1/3! Even after disconnecting the battery :S I have a video with they car on and key in and testing with the accelerator pedal. On my older 6i, I did this and was able to see the plate open up all the way once the accelerator pedal was pushed down all the way (WOT).
GRRRRRRRRR

Would explain why I boost fine, just not fast at all as before.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I hear ya. I might create another post as I have confirmed why:

Throttle plate only opens up about 1/3! Even after disconnecting the battery :S I have a video with they car on and key in and testing with the accelerator pedal. On my older 6i, I did this and was able to see the plate open up all the way once the accelerator pedal was pushed down all the way (WOT).
GRRRRRRRRR

Would explain why I boost fine, just not fast at all as before.
Well throttle duty cycles are based on both abs load and rpms. So, if you're doing this in neutral (obviously), then you're not going to hit high enough abs load values to see it open much. The stock mapping has it set to max out at 80, as in the table below. Some people crank it up to 100, but I left mine at 90 because Smoker6 said he saw zero difference between 90 and 100. I'd ask him, because he knows more about this than I do.

However, I remember coming acrosss another video that showed the throttle plate not opening fully, but I don't recall if it was opening to about 80 or what. So, double check this, maybe with someone on msf. I haven't done much with these tables, so I can't be 100% on it.

Sorry for the small pic, but I'm at work, and I don't have Photoshop to crop it, and blow it up. Whatever is holding you back, I'm sure it can be fixed by tuning with the AP.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've owned my speed6 since new in April of 2006. Before the flash it felt like this car would eventually tear itself apart do to the strain on the AWD system. It was wicked quick. I really enjoyed it.

Then the "required" emissions flash, the power down low was trimmed out and the band was made more linear if you can say that about a motor that runs out of breath after 6000rpm in stock form.

I had a cobb AP and it was great. It brought that feeling back with massive gobs of power, even with no other engine mods.

In an effort to "save" this car as an everyday reliable daily driver (the 911 is my serious toy) I sold my AP. I am sorry I did.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Here is the vid I did last night to confirm.

Throttle movement video by MaverickX3 - Photobucket

and another showing that the computer will open the plate the entire way (throttle body works properly)
Throttle movement video by MaverickX3 - Photobucket

I half feel like calling the steelership, but I bet there isn't another flash to be had..
That's crazy shit. How did you get it to open with your computer? You should just drive around with your laptop, LOL. J/K, Sending that over to you in a few here.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Images sent and link to download ATR helpfile so you can get a jump start on tuning before you pick you your AP.

Reactions: MaverickX3

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Well throttle duty cycles are based on both abs load and rpms. So, if you're doing this in neutral (obviously), then you're not going to hit high enough abs load values to see it open much. The stock mapping has it set to max out at 80, as in the table below. Some people crank it up to 100, but I left mine at 90 because Smoker6 said he saw zero difference between 90 and 100. I'd ask him, because he knows more about this than I do.

However, I remember coming acrosss another video that showed the throttle plate not opening fully, but I don't recall if it was opening to about 80 or what. So, double check this, maybe with someone on msf. I haven't done much with these tables, so I can't be 100% on it.
There's a big thread by superskater I believe on MSF. Here it is:
if you're using ATR your throttle plate is not opening 100!!!!!!!!! - Mazdaspeed Forums

I found no difference between 90 and 100 when I tested it myself, and so I don't think it matters much regardless of which you do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts