Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So cool. Are the gauges as simple as the rest or are they more complicated to swap?
There is many SMD leds, quite easy to chance those , but desoldering lcd is a little hard. I think you can bend it without soldering but i dont recomend that.
Just changed all leds to gauge today. All to blue except needles, those have white leds.
pictures later.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
here is pic2 . btw.. I'm selling this gauge and mod my original one. mileage is 265000km.
$170+shipping. if someone is interested ..write pm to me
Later I'm selling midlle console plastic with stereo etc buttons in blue.
And middle lcd in blue.
Why? because I first mod practice pieces and then my original ones and don't need 2 sets

Attachments

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Man! So slick! I am so impressed with the level of detail you are putting into the project. It looks factory! Have you found a solution for the pointers? They don't look out of place in red, but they would really finish up the job in blue.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Man! So slick! I am so impressed with the level of detail you are putting into the project. It looks factory! Have you found a solution for the pointers? They don't look out of place in red, but they would really finish up the job in blue.
First of all, my phone camera makes this look uglyer than it is :)
Yeah, needles are a bit of orange because I used white leds. Now I have to deside do I use red leds so I get deeb red needles or do I just sandpaper that red away from needles, paint needle bottom to white and get white needles.
Hard decision, red, white or blue. I think blue needle isn't so good looking. but still it looks awesome with those orange too :)
I try to find time, to do those last instructions from this project soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Sorry for not posting here nothing for along time. I will finish this .. led project is finished :) I just have to post pics to you ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Finally I got some time to do this text. so

Pic1,pic2

Remove lcd from middle console, open 4 screws and open whole lcd

Pic3,pic4
Remove lcd board from bottom plastic(there is many clips). Desolder metal surrounding and remove it.
Cut 3 pcs plastic things (see arrows) . Now you can gently start bend lcd legs and remove red plastic slice and plastic surraunding behind it.
This is easier than desoldering whole lcd.

Pic5,pic6
Desolder led board. Be carefully because cylinders inside leg holes can detach from board.

pic7,pic8
I used cylinder model 3mm blue led, so the light isn't so dot style. Change button leds too, from both side.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Pic9, pic10
Resolder led board back, Cut some white and blue plastic slice, I found out that best was blue binder plastic and white milky plastic is behind from disassembled LCD monitor :)

Pic11, pic12
put plastic surrounding back to it place and glue white plastic to top of the leds and another white plastic top of plastic surrounding. (in pic I have removed LCD, you dont have to do that)

Pic13,pic14

Put blue plastic between lcd and white plastic and put all back together.

Pic15
Result. Little hard but done :)
only thing is that if you press dimmer button lcd goes allmost black. It is becouse resistor in led board is too big for blue leds, so if you want that dimmer button works quite normal you have to also change resistors to smaller ones. I didn't do that because normal ligthning is just fine and never have to use dimmer button

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
This is really awesome, I know it would look amazing but I also know I do NOT have the patience to do any of this lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Always wanted to learn to solder like this. I cant even tin wires. I need to watch more how to videos. This would be cool to do for my daughters car.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts