Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the service manager finally got back to be. There are NO ADJUSTMENTS for camber and caster on the front of a 6. Toe only.

The rear can be adjusted for camber and toe.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Reading Topic: Alignment

If I am understanding this, then it means its like my old truck (And most Ford trucks and vans) it has non-adjustable camber and requires camber adjustment bolts designed for a certain degree of change. Camber kit plus $35.00 per side at Pep Boys plus the fact they probably won't have the kits or even alignment specs for another year.. fun..

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replying to Topic 'Alignment'

Originally posted by 84FordMan

If I am understanding this, then it means its like my old truck (And most Ford trucks and vans) it has non-adjustable camber and requires camber adjustment bolts designed for a certain degree of change.[/b]
Looking at the front suspension with the double link lower wishbone, I'm not sure how easy "crash bolts" will work. I pestered the service manager for over two weeks before he could get this info, but he finally got hold of a factory service manual. Guess I will have to try bugging the parts guy to let me browse thru the parts book (screen).

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Speaking of camber, has anyone else noticed that the rear wheels have a slight negative camber, but the fronts don't? I thought it might just look that way because of the sport package, but even looking from the rear, I can still see it.

·
Registered
205 Posts

You will not need an allignment if you install the Eibach springs. I am sick of hearing people say this and that when they dont even have the mods installed. I can tell you that the Eibachs work great, work excellent with the stock shocks, and you will not need any type of allignment after installing them. This is from me and my Mazda tech at my dealer who happens to be really kewl about helping me mod my car.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Originally posted by pa8ntballrob

You will not need an allignment if you install the Eibach springs.  I am sick of hearing people say this and that when they dont even have the mods installed.  I can tell you that the Eibachs work great, work excellent with the stock shocks, and you will not need any type of allignment after installing them.  This is from me and my Mazda tech at my dealer who happens to be really kewl about helping me mod my car.[/b]
while I agree that he eibachs probably won't throw the camber off much if at all, I stand by the idea of always getting your alignment checked when you change the suspension...thats like what $40-$50? Hell, if your installing the springs yourself thats nothing, especially since we are talking about your suspension here, screw that up and your looking at $$$$ worth of work. $50 is nothing for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

Just FYI...

it's common for a double wishbone suspension of the specific type* found in the 6, to not have camber or caster adjustments.

(* The type of suspension where the upper wishbone is mounted in the very top of the wheel well. A design that is also found on the VW Passat, and most Audis, and was made popular by Honda.)

I don't know much about the 6 suspension details at this point, but I will share with you how it works on VWs and Audis with this setup. On those cars, the only way you can adjust the camber is to actually move the suspension subframe laterally (side-to-side) in relation to the chassis. This subframe is one piece that supports the lower control arms for both left and right front suspensions. As you may have surmised, this only allows you to adjust the camber "relationships." In other words, if one side of the car had positive camber, and the other side negative, you could balance them by moving the subframe laterally until their both at zero (or whatever the factory spec point is).

It is regrettable that modern suspensions systems seem to have less and less adjustability all the time. But, obviously, the car makers feel that the rigid subframes, and chassises, should hold up well, and significant adjustments shouldn't be necessary. (Unfortunately, this still totally removes the ability for the tuner, or racer, to customize the suspension calibrations to his needs.)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

Speaking of camber, has anyone else noticed that the rear wheels have a slight negative camber, but the fronts don't?  I thought it might just look that way because of the sport package, but even looking from the rear, I can still see it.[/b]
Yes! I noticed this about a month ago and now I see it all the time when I'm at the correct angle. Wondered about that myself.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Originally posted by kyler13

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

Speaking of camber, has anyone else noticed that the rear wheels have a slight negative camber, but the fronts don't?  I thought it might just look that way because of the sport package, but even looking from the rear, I can still see it.[/b]
Yes! I noticed this about a month ago and now I see it all the time when I'm at the correct angle. Wondered about that myself.

[/b][/quote]

Good, because I thought I was going crazy! I guess this might effect the handling or whatever.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts

has anyone taken their car anywhere besides the dealer for an alignment? There was a comment about garages not having specs for the car yet... my dealer is far away compared to a local garage i always used to go to... plus i can get it done cheaper locally. I am with brillo and the whole piece of mind thing... every other car i put eibachs on always had to get an alignment... just want piece of mind

·
Registered
28 Posts

Hi guys, I'm new to this board but quite familiar with alignment settings on double wishbone cars. Thought I would chime in:

Most double wishbone suspension does not have camber adjustability. But even without this adjustment, the camber would most likely be off no more than 1.5 degree, which is pretty acceptable. As long as the toe setting is STRAIGHT (zero toe); there should not be ANY tire wear problem.

As for increasing camber for enhanced cornering ability, double wishbone allows the wheel to GAIN negative camber as the suspension compresses. This dynamic camber gain is good for cornering - when you need it in corners; and good for comfort - when you don't need it in straight line driving.

When you upgrade to stiffer springs, you sacrifice the dynamic camber gain (suspension compresses less in corners); so you need to increase the static negative camber to accommodate the loss. That's why we see double wishbone race cars with 1000+lbs springs run ridiculous camber because their suspension hardly compresses in corners.

Based on personal experience, you can run up to -2.5 camber without worrying about abnormal tire wear. As long as the toe setting is zero. Toe is what chews up tires the most.

HTH!

·
Registered
28 Posts

Oh one more thing, for other double wishbone cars, aftermarket upper A-arms with sliding ball joint are available (aka camber kit) so that the owners can adjust camber by sliding the ball joint around in the lateral direction.

Although for the Atenza, I don't think camber kit is available yet....

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

Originally posted by mazda6forum

Hi Chris, thanks for letting us know how VWs and Audis alignment work too. I had no idea that the suspension subframe could be slide around.[/b]
I think I remember reading that you have to have a special tool from VW/Audi to be able to do it.

VW/Audi _loves_ making special tools for things. One reason is probably to discourage unskilled mechanics from screwing stuff up. But it certainly makes life more difficult for the knowledgeable DIY mech, and means that a VW/Audi tech has to cough up the dough for the tools!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.