Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so now that I have some expensive a$$ shoes on her and God knows how much other monies sunk in, it's time to buy some protection.

Anyone recommend an alarm for around $300-400 or less?

Also:
How much did you pay for it?
Where's the best place to get it?

How much should I expect to have it installed? Along with this, are there any places, maybe chains, that do a great install job that makes the set-up look like stock (hiding all the wires, same color wires as stock)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
personally, i'd recommend having the work done at a big box, like BBY or CC. you'll get certified installers, a warranty and insurance, if they do damage your car.

most big boxes include "basic" install with the price of the alarm. be prepared though to pay extra for functionality. i prefer Directed brands of alarms. most Directed brands, like Viper, Clifford, Avital, share a common architecture. so they are a pretty safe bet; you don't have to buy the most expensive to get a great alarm.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I don't like DEI (directed) at all, and would rather go with a Clarion Ungo.

That is what I have used for years without ever having a problem

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
it's all a personal preference. i've installed over a hunderd directed alarms/rs; i can only recall one bad brain. plus, i've got to support darrel issa.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
personally, i'd recommend having the work done at a big box, like BBY or CC. you'll get certified installers, a warranty and insurance, if they do damage your car.

most big boxes include "basic" install with the price of the alarm. be prepared though to pay extra for functionality. i prefer Directed brands of alarms. most Directed brands, like Viper, Clifford, Avital, share a common architecture. so they are a pretty safe bet; you don't have to buy the most expensive to get a great alarm.
[/b]

Excuse the ignorance, but who's BBY or CC and who are big boxes?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Excuse the ignorance, but who's BBY or CC and who are big boxes?
[/b]
Best Buy & Circuit City. a big box is a major national retailer. i.e. not a mom-n-pop shop.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have a mtx, so I think the remote start is out!! Unless they now make'em for the mtxers!

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
of course they do. i think you just have to leave it in neutral.

i have a buddy that has a 5.0 with a 5spd and he has remote start.
[/b]

Now we're talking!! I've always wanted a remote start, but with my last car, a mtx, is wasn't available. Does the viper everyone is referring to work with MTX?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
that i don't know. i'll ask my friend with the 5.0 and see what kind he has. the alarm is the shit, though. you can't shut a car door right next to the car without it making noises. after the third disruption, it goes off. and that shit is LOUD!!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
most shops out there will not install a RS on an MTX.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The Viper 791XV was the shit. I had it in my '03 M6....LOVED IT! Remote start? OMG, it was heaven. When I traded in the car, I didn't remove the alarm (prolly should of). Currently I have the Clifford Matrix RS 3.5 (also just as good as the Viper) but it's still in the box, I wanna sell it. No need for the alarm in my car now. Who wants in?

·
Registered
110 Posts
My kid brother had a Viper (700 series, i think - don't remember the exact model number, but it was from a year ago with a pager) alarm on his Civic and after a couple of months the remote went to crap on him.

He had a hell of a time getting a new one and I believe the new one died too after a little while.

He finally got frustrated and switched to the CompuStar 2W900FM-AS (around $600 Canadian with install) and he's not had a single problem with it, plus it came with two remotes (one pager, one not) instead of one remote (like Viper). I also have a couple of firends with CompuStar and they are all happy with it. Audiolines is a well regarded high-end sales and installation company in the Vancouver area and I believe they are big into ComputStar (if I am thinking of the right friend of mine). Suffice it to say, when I get around to it, I'll be going CompuStar, especially after my brother's issues. :thumbup:

Cheers, :cheers:

Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Car alarms are the dumbest idea ever. Think about it, how many times have u been at the mall and heard a alarm goin off. You think nothing of it do you. Its a huge waste of money i think, why not take that 300-600 dollars and put it torwards a usefull mod? Besides why would u want to know you car is getting broken into/stolen. If they really want it or something inside it they are going to get it, thats what car insurance is for!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i don't know. two years ago my clifford matrix alarm/rs prevented by shit from being stolen. the robber creep up to my car all shifty like, eye-balled my shit and decided to make it his. he broke out the passanger front window, the alarm went off and he ran- before my armed response could catch up to him.

mainly though, it's for the piece of mind. also check with your insurance carrier, they may offer a premium discount.

that's why i have an alarm, and a CCW.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any updates on this for me? I'm back in the maret again.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TTT

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
19 Participants
MrBucket101
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing