Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice on the USA Mazda 6 there's an option for an "Alarm Shock Sensor Upgrade" for $60.

Anyone know exactly what this is?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Alarm shock sensor upgrade'

Yes, it adds a shock sensor to the alarm system.

Usually a car alarm has different kinds of sensors:

* motion sensor
* hood switches
* microwave sensors
* glass break sensors

etc.

The shock sensor's purpose is to detect shocks applied to the body of the car (or impact).

·
Registered
514 Posts

Yep. Otherwise, all we get is permiter detection. Meaning, the thief has to phsyically break a window (maybe not, if there is not a glass break sensor) or open a door/hood/trunk for the alarm to go off. Personally I want my alarm going off way before that happens.

-Alt

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Ah, thanks. So this is the gadget that makes your car alarm go off until the battery dies when you have an accident. :)

Seriously, though, well worth the $$$. Kinda ridiculously nickel-and-dime that they don't just include that automatically.

·
Registered
514 Posts

I agree. It seems like a weird "option"... what the hell use is an alarm if it doesn't have shock protection? I don't want to wait till my window is broken for the alarm to go off.

And, as long as it's properly set up you should have falses. Being a factory unit, it's probably tuned for the car. 99% of all falses are caused by improperly set shock sensor sensitivity.

-Alt

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Standard alarm is perimeter. which means somebody has to open a door or trunk. Never had much faith in alarm systems after I saw a demo where three guys broke into a car disabled the alarm system and stripped it bare in under 6 minutes.

If a pro wants your car, it's gone.

·
Registered
514 Posts

True... but that isn't enough argument for me to not have the basics installed to deter the amateurs.

As far as pros... yep there's nothing you can do about it other than maintain intelligent parking habits.

-Alt

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

.. or get the automated version of the Flamethrower option :D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I have other measures to keep my car in my possession also...

I have etched my car's registration numbers on every window of the car. This means it will not be stolen by any professional. Exchanging every window is a 3000 US$ deal that would have to be done prior to selling the stolen car.

In Sweden, however, we have the problem of stolen cars being shipped to Russia...they don't care about that either...:sarc

So...I keep my car in my garage, which has only one entrance: the car door. And it has no handles and can only be opened via a special coded remote... Oh, and the garage has its own alarm too if anyone tries to tamper with it...:D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Here in the US, it's not the whole car they want. The seperate parts are easier to sell and hard to trace.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Yeah, the etchings are worthless in the real world, because the thieves part them out at a chop shop anyways. However, insurance companies usually give you a relatively large discount if you have the etchings, sometimes 10%. When I'm paying $4400/year USD for full coverage and a window etching kit is $40, I'll be saving 10x that amount in the first year alone.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by Entropism
When I'm paying $4400/year USD for full coverage .[/b]
Whoa!!!!!!!!! $4400 a year!!!!!!!!!!!! Then I saw NYC and understood.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yeah, that's a major expense... But I think my 600 US$ a year for full coverage is more than enough...:sarc

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

Yeah, that's a major expense... But I think my 600 US$ a year for full coverage is more than enough...:sarc[/b]
PS: I like NYC. Much. But I guess I wouldn't like to drive there...:D

·
Registered
657 Posts

Keep one thing in mind: I JUMPED on the $4400/year like it was a pair of hot lesbian cheerleaders. On my old car ('98 200sx SE-R, or Primera for the Euros) I was told I'd be paying $10,000/year full coverage, because it was a sports car. Keep in mind, this is a 140HP slowpoke that couldn't outrace a stock Civic. My costs will come down in May, as I have ONE accident on my record, and May is the 40 month mark, I should go down to about $3000/year after that. And yes, I feel LUCKY paying that little. :(

But yeah, the insurance was a major reason I got the 6. I was looking at the Saab 9-3, and the Mustang Mach anniversary edition. But they wanted $7500/year for those, along with $6700/year for the Acura RSX-S.

·
Registered
514 Posts

OUCH!!!! Are you serious?!?! I pay $1800 a year for my 400+ HP 300ZX! I think you may be getting ripped out bigtime... even for NYC. How old are you if you don't mind my asking? I'm 24 with no accidents, no speeding tix, and consistent "good student" discounts throughout college which I'm sure helps a lot but still... $4400?!? That seems ridiculously high even for someone with prior accidents.

-Alt

·
Registered
657 Posts

25 years old, no tickets, one accident, and trust me, I'm not getting ripped in NYC. I only wish I were. Because the price is so high, I jump companies a lot, trying to get the lowest price, so I miss out on the loyalty discount here. Also, a LOT of companies have started to bail on the NY/NJ market, because of the rampant fraud abuse. It's gotten to the point where major companies like Hartford, Progressive, ect have gotten out of the market completely, and the better deals have been the mom & pop places. Even the 25 year old discount has been all but elliminated, moving up to 30 years old. It was a LOT easier when I was living in Florida, and trust me, I'm not happy. But I need to drive, so.... What am I going to do? :(

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Yeah, insurance in our area sucks. As was said, it's so bad, companies are jumping out of the area left and right. As if it wasn't bad enough, options are getting fewer and fewer.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by Entropism
I miss out on the loyalty discount here.  [/b]
Trust me, there is no such thing as a loyalty discount when it comes to insurance companies. If you don't take quotes every year, you get ripped off, I promise. It's a hard, hard world (and expensive!):sarc

·
Registered
514 Posts

Wow... I feel bad for you guys. Our insurance agent is a family friend. She's constantly on the lookout for better deals for us... she just calls us up and says "we'vegot a better rate for you if you do this, this, and this."

Moral of the story: make happy with your insurance agent! :)

-Alt

1 - 20 of 36 Posts