Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently out of town and my wife back at home tells me after two weeks of my car sitting without being ran the panic alarm started going off at random times without her pressing anything. The car did this numerous times so she took it for a drive and noticed that there was no service/ warning lights saying nothing was wrong on the dash display. The car started and ran normally. She says the car was fine for two days after running it then it started again suddenly the alarm going off randomly by itself. She then had a neighbor disconnect the battery since she didn't know what else to do.
I read around the net and think its probably just the intermittent alarm battery in the car which is low.
Anyone have any other ideas ?

I am trying to get a good idea since I am arriving back home this week then the next day I am planning on driving my 6 to Fl for a visit so I'll be short on time .....

·
Super Moderator
16,781 Posts
Almost sounds like something's shorting out or drawing power when it shouldn't be, thus setting the alarm off.

I don't know enough about when the alarm is designed to go off, but I do know that when I unplugged my tail lights and put them back in once the alarm went off. I was checking to see why my reverse lights weren't working, and when I plugged the cable back in the alarm went off several times....

From what i've read, these cars have some poor wiring in them, and I feel like that might be the cause of your alarm issue... but I could be way off :lol:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply. Yeah this is the first issue Ive ran into yet. I've talked to a few others who say the same thing about the wiring in these cars.
I sure hope its an easy fix and nothing serious.

·
Registered
402 Posts
troubleshooting - you have a shock sensor?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I do not have a shock sensor but I think I have narrowed it down to what was causing the problem now that I'm home. I think the fact that the car was sitting for three weeks without being ran drained the battery, therefore caused the alarm to go off since I know it will when the battery does not give enough voltage. I tested everything and everything looks normal as far as readings and voltages....... It did go off once yesterday but I think I could have bumped the panic button since the keys fob was in my pocket.......Glad it was nothing since my wife had me worried for a bit there....

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have/had the same issue with both my 2009s (both JDMs), and I know of at least two other people who have/had the exact same issue: the car starts honking on its own at seemingly random times, for 30 seconds at a time.

The first car spent a couple of months at the dealer last year, and they narrowed the problem down to a faulty remote key sensor right behind the glove box, and the problem was gone.

The second car wasn't so lucky, though; they replaced the same sensor but the car still honks for no apparent reason. Some days are better than others; it might do it for seven or eight times in a single day or night at times, or it might go for a week or more without issue.

I'm still on this. I'm probably going to have the sensor replaced again next week and see what happens. I'll report back with any changes.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Same thing happens to mine annoying as hell and it's sporadic I was thinking I was hitting the button by mistake that wasn't it or maybe my switchback led bulbs I installed but they are installed correctly with resistors and have never given me trouble but now hearing that sensor behind the glove box could be the problem how easy is that to replace?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey srt4jake,

I just started having the same issue! My car goes off all the time during the day at work. I leave it unlocked so I dont have to deal with it at night in my garage. I called the dealer and they keep saying I have a aftermarket alarm and will charge $140 just to even look at it. What BS!!!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hmm the battery makes sense! It's been about 5 years since my car is an 09 but was made in 08 another weird thing that happened I was driving and had my music blasting pretty loud and I got a door open light on the dash and the interior lights were turning on and off def gonna look into that though thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Actually, you might want to do this first before replacing battery.

1) Go to autozone to test your battery (free).
2) If battery is good, go home, disconnect the Positive cable from the battery and leave it alone for 20minutes. Then reconnect. (you will lose all your saved radio station)
3) cross figure that it fixed the problem. So far, I have not heard it today..... I'll give it another week.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I had a similar issue with mine, except mine would only go off if I tried to lock or unlock it, and then a few times extra.
It would go off when start the csr also and after a few days the key fob stoppwd working all together, I coild still start the csr however
After replacing the battery to no avail I re synched my key fob and now I got no problems

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
614 Posts
+1 battery. In the time I worked at the dealership, saw 8 of these things come in with this complaint, after about 2 weeks with the first one, we realized that the battery was @ 11.99 volts (should be 12.0-12.1) which technically is a good battery, and that it was putting out like 22 cca less than it needed to. Moral of the story, out of the 8, 7 of them were batteries that were just a touch weaker than the factory battery, and 1 was the module behind the glovebox. My recommendation, spend 140 dollars, buy a duralast gold battery from autozone and install it. It's so far above the recommended cca that you'll never have the issue again. We actually stopped installing mazda batteries in the m6 and started installing the duralast golds because they were the only battery with significantly more juice than necessary and it eliminated the problem.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Troubleshooting another problem I thought it was I usually leave my car charger plugged into the arm rest slot and that's always on wondering if its drawing too much power from the battery is that even possible with that small charger not plugged into my phone I also always have an aux cable there too but that's not the case since it went off today when I had it unplugged

·
Registered
439 Posts
Negative terminal had some corrosion on it so i disconnected and cleaned it then got out my voltmeter and tested the battery 12.5 V off and 14.5 V at idle so the battery is good but the alarm is still going off so my last resort is bringing it to Mazda so they can hook it up and get a readout what's triggering the alarm which should cost $100 off the back this is rediculos already

1 - 20 of 86 Posts