Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ha,Seiya is fine. He just worried about too much. We are all ZOOM ZOOM fans. Installation date will be Sep 2 afternoon since I'm waiting for fog DRLs. The customer would like to clone my car.LOL. I will post many pictures to help you figure out how to install headlights on Sep 5.
BTW, you don't need to remove the whole bumper. I have an easy way. Coming soon!!!
Yeah, I know you don't have to remove the whole bumper. I posted a video of the AKD guys changing the headlights without removing the whole bumper and of course, @Byakuya closed my thread.

All you have to do, based on that video I saw is remove the fasteners on the wheel well and maybe under the bumper, and you can literally, pull the headlight out. Here is the video. It seems absurd to remove the whole bumper just to swap some headlights. Unfortunately, this video does not show in detail how to do it.

http://vodcdn.video.taobao.com/player/ugc/tb_ugc_bytes_core_player_loader.swf?version=1.0.20170327&show_share_button=false&tplanguage=english&vid=59842989&uid=233298142&p=1&t=10301&rid=&random=6666

·
Banned
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
@titamiumvt

If you want to copycat the GT, at least the exterior, you have to copy the same year, so if you have a 2014, that's the one you copy.

You need

- GT style headlights
- LED tailights
- moonroof
- spoiler
- painted wheels
- fog lights

If you have the touring tech, is even easier to copy. Now, those LED fog lights are nice, but if you want the GT stock look, you have to get simple fog lights or better yet, the OEM ones. OEM ones are overpriced and unless you live in area where fog is common, yoi are better off going aftermarket.

Same for the spoiler, you can get that painted ebay spoiler for $100 and it looks good, but is probably now as good as quality as the OEM one, but the OEM costs $350. You could say it may be worth it since the paint would be better quality.

You can always add the fog light chrome eyebrow accent that the 2016 GT has, but it would look off since you don't have the restyled bumper.

IMO if you buying these GT style headlights, you don't need the LED fog lights.

Same goes for the wheels, it is cheaper just to plasti dip them black. They will pass as a GT owner who plasti dipped them.

Problem is the tailights and moomroof. Would you be willing to install aftermarket GT styled taillights and risk they may not function when you need them the most. What if they stop working and someome rear ends you. You'd be the one at fault for having aftermarket tailights.

Same for moonroof, is too expensive, we are talking about $2000 easily and it will never be as good as stock. Also, how long would it last? How long till water starts getting inside. I've read of several people having this happened to them with their aftermarket moonroof and sunroofs. Not to mention, is another point of entry for a thief. Imo, is too expensive.

What I plan to do is get the headlights, aftermarket fog light, ebay spoiler, plasti dip wheels. It will never look like a GT, why would you want to anyway, the whole point is mod your car and make it different. I may even add the chrome fog light eyebrows, they look good and make the car look more luxurious especially with the GT headlights.

Considering is never gonna look exactly like a GT, you are better off going aftermarket with the spoiler and fog lights.

The interior is almost the same with the touring tech 2014 except, some blank buttons, the seats, leather gear shift and of course the moomroof.

If you want to go crazy, you can always get some stickers for the buttons or oem buttons and replace them. They'd be dummy buttons. You can always get katzkin and have a leather boot customized to your gear shift.

·
Registered
492 Posts
@titamiumvt

If you want to copycat the GT, at least the exterior, you have to copy the same year, so if you have a 2014, that's the one you copy.

You need

- GT style headlights

- LED tailights

- moonroof

- spoiler

- painted wheels

- fog lights

If you have the touring tech, is even easier to copy. Now, those LED fog lights are nice, but if you want the GT stock look, you have to get simple fog lights or better yet, the OEM ones. OEM ones are overpriced and unless you live in area where fog is common, yoi are better off going aftermarket.

Same for the spoiler, you can get that painted ebay spoiler for $100 and it looks good, but is probably now as good as quality as the OEM one, but the OEM costs $350. You could say it may be worth it since the paint would be better quality.

You can always add the fog light chrome eyebrow accent that the 2016 GT has, but it would look off since you don't have the restyled bumper.

IMO if you buying these GT style headlights, you don't need the LED fog lights.

Same goes for the wheels, it is cheaper just to plasti dip them black. They will pass as a GT owner who plasti dipped them.

Problem is the tailights and moomroof. Would you be willing to install aftermarket GT styled headlights and risk they may not function when you need them the most. What if they stop working and someome rear ends you. You'd be the one at fault for having aftermarket tailights.

Same for moonroof, is too expensive, we are talking about $2000 easily and it will never be as good as stock. Also, how long would it last? How long till water starts getting inside. I've read of several people having this happened to them with their aftermarket moonroof and sunroofs. Not to mention, is another point of entry for a thief. Imo, is too expensive.

What I plan to do is get the headlights, aftermarket fog light, ebay spoiler, plasti dip wheels. It will never look like a GT, why would you want to anyway, the whole point is mod your car and make it different. I may even add the chrome fog light eyebrows, they look good and make the car look more luxurious especially with the GT headlights.

Considering is never gonna look exactly like a GT, you are better off going aftermarket with the spoiler and fog lights.

The interior is almost the same with the touring tech 2014 except, some blank buttons, the seats, leather gear shift and of course the moomroof.

If you want to go crazy, you can always get some stickers for the buttons or oem buttons and replace them. They'd be dummy buttons. You can always get katzkin and have a leather boot customized to your gear shift.

I don't see the point in spending money to make the car look like a higher trim.

Might as well just spend money to make it look different than every other un-modded 6 on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Who doesn't want their car to look more luxurious? We have the touring, because we couldn't afford the GT at the time. Many have paid off their vehicles or very close to paying it off, so selling it and getting in debt for GT is out of the question. The GT has those "extras" to make it look more luxurious than the other trims. IMO is the headlights that make it stand out the most. You mainly see those type of xenon headlights with LED drl's on luxury cars. The Infinity Q50 has similar headlights and LED drl's as the GT. Same goes for the tail lights.

Lots of people from Russian and Saudi Arabia who have the GT have swapped their headlights for the AKD ones that have a different style. Not a good decision imo, because they already had nice headlights to begin with, but to each its own. It is all what you want, if you want to make it look different, just swap the wheels and get a body kit.

I mainly want the GT style headlights, fog lights, spoiler

I may lower the vehicle and get some new wheels, which will make it different than any other 6.

All of this will cost money, but is still cheaper than getting debt for a GT and you still stock then.

Aftermarket moonroof, Katzkin leather, etc are too expensive to justify. If you can get the same look by getting aftermarket fogs and ebay spoilers, no reason to go OEM. You can get some $50 fog lights and the painted spoiler is $100, that's $150 versus $700 for these two OEM parts.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Who doesn't want their car to look more luxurious? We have the touring, because we couldn't afford the GT at the time. Many have paid off their vehicles or very close to paying it off, so selling it and getting in debt for GT is out of the question. The GT has those "extras" to make it look more luxurious than the other trims. IMO is the headlights that make it stand out the most. You mainly see those type of xenon headlights with LED drl's on luxury cars. The Infinity Q50 has similar headlights and LED drl's as the GT. Same goes for the tail lights.

Lots of people from Russian and Saudi Arabia who have the GT have swapped their headlights for the AKD ones that have a different style. Not a good decision imo, because they already had nice headlights to begin with, but to each its own. It is all what you want, if you want to make it look different, just swap the wheels and get a body kit.

I mainly want the GT style headlights, fog lights, spoiler

I may lower the vehicle and get some new wheels, which will make it different than any other 6.

All of this will cost money, but is still cheaper than getting debt for a GT and you still stock then.

Aftermarket moonroof, Katzkin leather, etc are too expensive to justify. If you can get the same look by getting aftermarket fogs and ebay spoilers, no reason to go OEM. You can get some $50 fog lights and the painted spoiler is $100, that's $150 versus $700 for these two OEM parts.

The gt lights don't look luxurious to me at all. Just a xenon system with an led. I'd rather just retrofit dual projectors in my sport housing than pay that price for "gt" style lights that look like every other car on the road.

Stock spoiler ? Haha. I can't fit a stock spoiler on my car.

·
Banned
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The gt lights don't look luxurious to me at all. Just a xenon system with an led. I'd rather just retrofit dual projectors in my sport housing than pay that price for "gt" style lights that look like every other car on the road.

Stock spoiler ? Haha. I can't fit a stock spoiler on my car.

Do you have a 3rd gen? 3rd gen can fit the spoiler and is only $100 painted. Many people have done it here and it looks good.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks Seiya. I'm not trying to replicate the GT (e.g., retrofitting leather, sunroof, etc. Spending that kind of money instead of just buying a GT would just be crazy...Like most, I just like the GT headlight design.

When the 2014 Mazda 6 first came out, the GT headlights were one of my favorite features. Like a lot of others, I wanted the Touring model for the manual transmission, but I coveted the GT headlights. Now...I could go either way. The Touring headlights have grown on me, and with a HID or LED upgrade, they're awesome. The GT lights look mean, but the Touring lights look "brighter" (because...more chrome). It's a gorgeous car in both trims.

·
Banned
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Thanks Seiya. I'm not trying to replicate the GT (e.g., retrofitting leather, sunroof, etc. Spending that kind of money instead of just buying a GT would just be crazy...Like most, I just like the GT headlight design.

When the 2014 Mazda 6 first came out, the GT headlights were one of my favorite features. Like a lot of others, I wanted the Touring model for the manual transmission, but I coveted the GT headlights. Now...I could go either way. The Touring headlights have grown on me, and with a HID or LED upgrade, they're awesome. The GT lights look mean, but the Touring lights look "brighter" (because...more chrome). It's a gorgeous car in both trims.
Even after installing a moonroof and leather, which may all come out $3000-4000 is still cheaper than a GT. If you own your 2014, depending on the miles, how much do you think a dealer or a private owner would give you? My car has 26k miles and is the touring tech, Id be lucky if I get 14000 for that car. A 2014 GT with similar mileage (it woild be stupid to get it with more miles than my previous car) costs around 20k now. Assuming you will be financing, it may be higher after everything is said and done.

If you still financing your 2014 and trade it in for a GT, you are in a even worse financial debt than if you had own the car.

Either way, it would be absurd to get a GT just for small featurea, especially when it doesn't come with more power.

I've been thinking about it and did the math and is not financially smart lol so yeah whatever, I'll just get the headlights down the road, spoiler, fogs and forget about it.

It still looks better than lots of cars on the road

The GT does look nice but having no car loan is a lot nicer

·
Registered
492 Posts
How long does it last? Is it wrap or plastidip

Plastidip. It last until I decide to change colors. Which will happen after winter.

I don't see the point in spending money on a wrap. Cost a lot and then you are stuck with it. I was quoted at 2k+ to wrap my car. I can do 6-8 different dip jobs for that price.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have an aftermarket sunroof on my 17, and it's great. It's installed well, has a great warranty and doesn't leak at all. It also has a perk of closing when the car turns off. Just depends on who does it I guess.
@etbis what year is your car? I'm wanting to install the same fog shrouds and I'm not sure how they're supposed to fit the fog lights in as there's no brackets for them

·
Banned
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have an aftermarket sunroof on my 17, and it's great. It's installed well, has a great warranty and doesn't leak at all. It also has a perk of closing when the car turns off. Just depends on who does it I guess.
@etbis what year is your car? I'm wanting to install the same fog shrouds and I'm not sure how they're supposed to fit the fog lights in as there's no brackets for them
Is it webasto? How much did it cost you total? Links to the model?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts