Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I put this in the right place, but the mods can take care of that :yesnod:

Anyways, my car is due for service @ Great Neck Mazda on Saturday, and I need to reverse the airbox mod.
When I did it the first time around, it was a bitch and a half to get the airbox back in the engine compartment, cuz the hose on the left kept on getting in the way... It literally took me an hour just to put it back in..

Are there any other strategies as opposed to trial and error?

·
Registered
990 Posts
what are you having done at the dealer? I've taken mine in twice since I did the mod & never put it back. Chances are the techs won't even notice.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Don't even bother. I doubt they'll notice. Prior to getting the MAFci, I had the my airbox modded. I went in for maintenance service and they didn't notice it. Nor did they notice that the car was lowered.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Don't even bother. I doubt they'll notice. Prior to getting the MAFci, I had the my airbox modded. I went in for maintenance service and they didn't notice it. Nor did they notice that the car was lowered.
[/b]
Yea i went about three times and they haventh said anything, now i think if your going to ask them to service something that has to do with the airbox itslef whether directly or indirectly, then you should put it back in but if theyre gonna change your oil then no biggy..

They change my oil and told me that i needed a new filter which they installed and stilll didnt notice...

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I've had my car serviced 3 times at my dealer and they didn't notice anything.

However, they did notice the Magnas.. :D

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting them to look for the cause of shitty gas milage.

I've been averaging 10-13mpg per tank. I refill when the tank is 1/4 full (till the pump stops), and it'll last me about 150-180 miles.

aaaaaaaanyways, does anyone think they'll try and jerk me around because of the airbox mod? I'm only asking because it seems like no one really has had any extensive work on their cars, just your basic oil changes.. Which they're also doing on Sat.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Not sure if I put this in the right place, but the mods can take care of that :yesnod:

Anyways, my car is due for service @ Great Neck Mazda on Saturday, and I need to reverse the airbox mod.
When I did it the first time around, it was a bitch and a half to get the airbox back in the engine compartment, cuz the hose on the left kept on getting in the way... It literally took me an hour just to put it back in..

Are there any other strategies as opposed to trial and error?
[/b]
typically frank, the service manager there is a good guy. the shop foreman is a dick. but more then likely they wont notice. i highly doubt they will give you any problem. dont worry about it.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
typically frank, the service manager there is a good guy. the shop foreman is a dick. but more then likely they wont notice. i highly doubt they will give you any problem. dont worry about it. [/b]
lol another one from LI?
What part are you from?

FWIW, no one gave me any grief abuot the air box mod. However, just in case I ever do have to reverse it, can someone answer my first question? lol

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
10-13mpg on a 4 banger..... Holy fuck thats absurd. I was getting 30mpg on mine all the time before I sold it

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
10-13mpg on a 4 banger..... Holy fuck thats absurd. I was getting 30mpg on mine all the time before I sold it [/b]
mhmm.

It could be lots of different reasons. My campus is about 2 miles away from my house, and my job is about 1.6 miles away from my house as well. I travel between all three rather frequently, and idle every now and then, waiting for a parking spot... Not to mention the spirited driving.

They said they were going to perform an "engine flush" and whatnot (I forgot what exactly they said- my dad knows), and that it was probably because of a "dirty" engine.. Whatever.

The day after that, I refilled my gas tank to the tip-top. $29.93, 13.25 galons, and 142 miles on that tank.. I averaged about 10.71 mpg. Since then, I've changed my driving style COMPLETELY. I haven't gone over 3k RPM, etc.
So far, I've gone about 43 miles, and my needle is a hair over the 3/4 full mark..
I drive 100% city, mainly to school, home, and work a few times per day, and my 3/4 of a full tank will last me about 150 miles.. 193 miles if I go to my sis' place, which is about 45 miles away, getting there via highway. I don't understand why this is happening, but I can't afford to keep pissing my money away.

Also, is it normal to see your gas needle fluctuate? Sometimes when I start my car, it'll rise by the next time I look at it, usually when I get to my destination.

And, I know this isn't the place to post this, there are 586354 threads on gas milage, but I felt the need to share my situation.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Have you ever messed with your gauges at all. Also do you notice a lot smoke coming out of your exhaust, Sounds to me like your car is running extremely rich. Its eating 2 times the amount of gas it should

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you ever messed with your gauges at all. Also do you notice a lot smoke coming out of your exhaust, Sounds to me like your car is running extremely rich. Its eating 2 times the amount of gas it should [/b]
I bought the car used at 30k miles, but I know I've never touched the gauges.
There's never any smoke coming out of the exhaust, unless it's really cold out, which is normal. Sometimes, in the morning (assuming I'm paying attention) there's a light smell of gas towards the rear of the car, but my friend's tC does the same exact thing, and he gets around 300 miles per tank. Mind you, he pushes his car like hell. His car is bone stock, and so is mine, but he's significantly faster.. Does this show a powerloss, or are stock 6i's always slower than stock tC's (assuming both are ATX)?
I haven't done anything to the engine except the airbox mod, which should HELP milage if anything. At the moment, I'm directly on the 3/4 mark w/ 50 miles.
How big are the '03 tanks? I've seen some specs say 16.9 gal, and others say 18 gal. The most I've ever filled was 16 gal, which was when the gas light came on..
When I first got the car, back in July, I kept putting in 89 oct, but then I found out that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference, so I eventually moved on to 87.
btw, 1st tank on the car gave me 8mpg lol

Also, the car was sitting in the lot for about 10-12 months, untouched, never turned on.

have you ever tried using a gas treatment or tried changing you fuel filter? [/b]
What kind of treatment do you mean? And, how would I go about changing the filter?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Getting them to look for the cause of shitty gas milage.

I've been averaging 10-13mpg per tank. I refill when the tank is 1/4 full (till the pump stops), and it'll last me about 150-180 miles.

aaaaaaaanyways, does anyone think they'll try and jerk me around because of the airbox mod? I'm only asking because it seems like no one really has had any extensive work on their cars, just your basic oil changes.. Which they're also doing on Sat.[/b]

im pretty sure i remember reading about the warranty that pretty much the only way something voids the warranty is if it causes a problem with the car, ex: if you added a system to your car and the wiring messed up something in the dash, that would void it. thats something they wouldnt cover. i actually had an 05 malibu and touched 2 of my sub wires together and it shorted out my entire speedo cluster, but i didnt let the dealer know that happened, i just told them the gauges stopped lighting and they replaced the entire cluster, a $400+ job... hopefully mazda is similar.

·
Registered
359 Posts
do you have auto climate control? it shouldn't be that big a difference.

but it is chicago winter(albit rather warm). Yet with the Auto climate control on I would be only getting about 270miles to the 1/4 tank mark. I turn off the Auto climate control on this tank of gas and now I'm reaching 310miles. about 2mpg difference.

I'm not sure why, but I think the climbate control is running the AC all the time to dehumidifi the cabin or something

I will know the exact numbers once I get a fill up

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah donno what is wrong. I have an ATX Auto and just got 425 miles on a tank just as my fuel light went on. How are the plugs? Maybe they are gunked up or bad.

Any way to spit out coded on the 6's????

·
Registered
603 Posts
Also, the car was sitting in the lot for about 10-12 months, untouched, never turned on.[/b]
Thats not good, though I'm sure they must have turned it on a couple of times. Generally it's not good to let a vehicle sit for that long. My car was on the lot from 4 to 5 months (only because of its higher than msrp price). There didn't appear to be anything wrong with it until I had to get the 15,000 mile service done two weeks later. They found a large rat nest in the pass air box.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts