Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I am new to the site but i have had my 2005 6s since last July. i am now ready to do some moding to it. i just read about the AirBox mod and was wondering if it was worth my time doing. Will it sound any different or will i gain any power out of this seemingly simple modification? Any help would be nice.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Ah this is for you DaBears....

You know you could always try to search...., but to answer your question.

Yes it is worth your time If you plan on doing even more things to the intake system like adding a CAI to it. The sound I must say is awesome, and you will gain an un noticable 3hp increase...Trust me once you do this mod, you will want to add a CAI.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hey, I am new to the site but i have had my 2005 6s since last July. i am now ready to do some moding to it. i just read about the AirBox mod and was wondering if it was worth my time doing. Will it sound any different or will i gain any power out of this seemingly simple modification? Any help would be nice.
[/b]

The sound will be TONS better. Also it will give you about the same amount of power as a normal CAI. If not as much it definatly is not 200 dollars short of it.

I did the airbox mod and just recently put on the Injen CAI, but did not have time to do the Air/Fuel customizer install from CP-E, and I cannot notice a difference really. But I am sure once the CP-E MAF fix is on I will notice the gains.

I would suggest the MAFci CAI system from CP-E...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yes it is worth your time If you plan on doing even more things to the intake system like adding a CAI to it. The sound I must say is awesome, and you will gain an un noticable 3hp increase...Trust me once you do this mod, you will want to add a CAI.
[/b]

OK thanks alot!

·
Registered
470 Posts

[/b]

You will only want to add the CAI if you get the CP-E MAF fix or CP-E CAI MAFci system

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok.... should i wait to do the airbox mod until i have the intake system to put in it or can i do it now with out putting a new intake in? i just dont want to hurt the engine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
A new intake system will replace the stock intake and its airbox. I would definitely try the airbox mod to see if you like it before dropping the cash for a new intake. The performance gains will be minimal, but the new sound will be similar to most intakes you would purchase.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
It will not hurt your engine at all to do the airbox Mod.....

Just make sure you put the filter back in after the modification.

·
Registered
470 Posts
ok.... should i wait to do the airbox mod until i have the intake system to put in it or can i do it now with out putting a new intake in? i just dont want to hurt the engine.
[/b]

If your short on cash now, then do the airbox mod, its free...But IMO i would not buy a CAI until you can afford to also get the MAF fix from CP-E.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I had the airbox mod did before getting my CAI, and after I installed the CAI it sounded the same but the power was definately better. I didn't really notice that much more power with the airbox mod over stock, just the better sound.

Does anyone else experience the same thing as me?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had the airbox mod did before getting my CAI, and after I installed the CAI it sounded the same but the power was definately better. I didn't really notice that much more power with the airbox mod over stock, just the better sound.

Does anyone else experience the same thing as me?
[/b]

I noticed minimal if zero gains. However I have not installed the fix yet so that should change in 12 hours

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
You should have notice something with the Injen even if you don't have the fix. I have the M'Speed one and I felt the difference and the Injen makes a little more power than the M'Speed.

·
Registered
470 Posts
You should have notice something with the Injen even if you don't have the fix. I have the M'Speed one and I felt the difference and the Injen makes a little more power than the M'Speed.
[/b]

Minimal...IMO not worth 200 bucks. Glad I bought the CP-E fix

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did the airbox mod.
It was fun to do (did it with a friend).
It is no louder, but the sounds is gruffer, more sporty and less camry.
The engine revs alot quicker now.
I'm not going to make comments on horsepower gain, but it does make for noticibly more spirited / fun driving.

Absolutely worth the time it too to do it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok well then it sounds like it will be something to do, thanks for all the input guys. im new at this whole mod thing. havent really had the money to do anything and now finances are starting to ease so i figure what the hell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it possible and worth it on a 2,3 4-cylinder version also?

excuse my english

regards Micke

·
Registered
412 Posts
Is it possible and worth it on a 2,3 4-cylinder version also?

excuse my english

regards Micke
[/b]
definitely possible on the 4 cylinder version. As for worth it, well, it's free, so... the benefits at the least will be a slightly more responsive engine. THere may not be any hp gains, but it can't really hurt things AFAIK.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just came in from doing the mod on my car. Sounds a lot better, might not give you any noticeable hp gains, but a good starter engine mod for me.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Congrats on the first mod! With how long I had my car I should have done this a lot longer ago, but I did it only about one week ago. I have been so used to the Injen Exhaust that I didn't really hear to much of a noticable sound difference, although my grandma and girlfriend noticed. It feels a little more spirited. Worth the time, only took 10 mins.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts