Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was usng the directions from the airbox mod on dreamhaven.com and i realized about 5 min into it that the airbox on that car was much different than the one on my car. not only is the big tube almost impossible to get off, but there arent even 4 clamps onthe airbox cover! there are only 2 on the right top and bottom sides. the left side has 2 hinges which cannot be removed and do not allow for the top to be removed at all. can someone please give me an updated link or instructions on how to do the mod on a 2006 6i. also, has anyone encountered an airbox like this on their cars?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think the pics you were looking at were for the v6.

Anyway, the big tube comes out. It's held down by 2 clamps- one on each side. The clamps you loosen by turning the screw on them. Then just twist the tube to loosen the seal and it slides off.

Edit: buy me a cross country plane ticket, and i'll come do it for you. No charge!

·
Registered
251 Posts
well i was usng the directions from the airbox mod on dreamhaven.com and i realized about 5 min into it that the airbox on that car was much different than the one on my car. not only is the big tube almost impossible to get off, but there arent even 4 clamps onthe airbox cover! there are only 2 on the right top and bottom sides. the left side has 2 hinges which cannot be removed and do not allow for the top to be removed at all. can someone please give me an updated link or instructions on how to do the mod on a 2006 6i. also, has anyone encountered an airbox like this on their cars?[/b]
I did the airbox mod in mine long time ago, and it was a piece of cake. Actually the 2 hinges on the left that you cant remove are not gonna come off too easy if you dont take the whole airbox out. What you have to do is unplug the big rubber hose from the airbox, make sure you disconect the green plug on the right and the maf sensor, and then just pull the whole box out. After thta you'll see how easy it is to take the top half off, once you open the box completely it might even fall off since it's not screwed in or anything. If you got any more question let me know. First time you usually do everything pretty careful and stuff but next times all will be a piece of cake :drive:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just did this (I have an 06i like you) and you're right about the two left clamps. What I did was remove the hose clamp, then pulled the hose off the top of the airbox. Make sure that at this point the vacuum hose, and the two wires are disconnected, then pull the entire airbox out of the car. You'll see that the two left hinges come off very easily, and you can do the rest of the mod. I suggest you take out the resonator too, what I had to do was remove THREE nuts, not just one. Let me know if you have any issues.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
It's WAY eeasier to work on the airbox with it out of the car. The accordian tube is a little stiff but if you loosen both of the clamps you can pull it all the way off to get it out of the way. As mentioned, disconnect the hoses and the VAD (flapper) connector from the airbox and tug it straight up and out of the engine bay. The top of the 2.3L airbox comes unhinged once you release the clips on the right and open it up past 'straight up'.

Might want to put a rag in the TB to make sure no junk gets in there while you're working.... :eek:

·
Registered
37 Posts
In fact, I did the airbox mod and put at K&N filter at the same time... and I drove up to Berkeley and back to L.A. I checked the filter, and it looked brand new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.