Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'v been reading about the airbox mod on here, but can't find a link with full instructions on how to do it. If there is one can someone post it. And yes, I have tried searching for it but all I can find is people saying they have done it. Thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...6&hl=airbox

the link for the mod is there. the instructions at the link are for 03-05. for 06+ it looks like the corrections following the link in the same post are right on.[/b]

I did the mod to my 6i back in the beginning when I got it. I did a whole comparison between sound and performance and yes, I firmly believe you can hear and feel a differance.
Good mod. That and the throttle body grounding mod. Now if only they'll come out with a stage 2 for the 6i! :(

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
So there are no bad side effects that this can cause?

I am weary about messing with stuff under the good because on my old car I messed around with the intake and it caused all types of problems.[/b]
nope, no bad side effects besides a dirtier air filter. just make sure all the hoses are plugged back in.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Rest assured, you won't harm your car doing this mod. You're still leaving the stock air filter in, all you're doing is allowing it to breath a little better and removing most of the sound baffling. If you forget to reconnect the green solenoid or vacuum hoses, you could get a CEL and fail inspection, but that's about as bad as it can get

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well I tried and I failed. I got as far as step 16 where I could go no further.

While trying to take out the tray, the pretty much destroyed one of the clips. But it is safely still in place.

Cant figure out why this was the only clip I was unable to remove.

Maybe in the future I will give it another go and the clip will be more cooperating.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Ya, I had problems w/that clip as well. Go ahead and dremel it off if needed. You really don't need that thing anyway.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I had the same issues with that clip. I just broke the damn thing. I did the entire mod in the span of my luchtime at work (45 Min)

Give it another try, you'll be glad you did when it's all said and done

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well I gave it another go today, took me a whole 10 minutes since I already knew what I was doing. Sounds awesome, only thing is he hole where the tuba was, that is huge. Since it is summer and really hot, wont all that hot air do more harm?

I saw some people covered it up, what did you guys use and some people just put the tuba back in. Im probably going to put the tuba back in until further notice.

·
Registered
919 Posts
QUOTE (Project 6 @ May 30 2008, 12:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1358617
Well I gave it another go today, took me a whole 10 minutes since I already knew what I was doing. Sounds awesome, only thing is he hole where the tuba was, that is huge. Since it is summer and really hot, wont all that hot air do more harm?

I saw some people covered it up, what did you guys use and some people just put the tuba back in. Im probably going to put the tuba back in until further notice.[/b]
That's what i did on my car. I left the tuba on when i did this mod.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I feel like a retard, but I forgot to disconnect the battery when I did this and my friend told me I was supposed to.

Also, when I floor it from a stop, I get no wheel spin as where before I did the mod I got wheel spin. You guys think it has to do with the fact that I didnt disconnect the battery when I did this?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
QUOTE (Project 6 @ Jun 3 2008, 08:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1361575
I feel like a retard, but I forgot to disconnect the battery when I did this and my friend told me I was supposed to.

Also, when I floor it from a stop, I get no wheel spin as where before I did the mod I got wheel spin. You guys think it has to do with the fact that I didnt disconnect the battery when I did this?[/b]
i don't think it really matters if you disconnect the battery or not for the airbox mod. i didn't disconnect and the mod turned out fine, no CEL *knock on wood* and still going strong. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The most/only beneficial aspect of this mod is removing the resonator. The other parts of this mod just allow more HOT air into the box. (Known to be bad for performance, especially in the summer months... :nono: )

·
Registered
429 Posts
QUOTE (twowheelin @ Jun 4 2008, 03:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1362056
The most/only beneficial aspect of this mod is removing the resonator. The other parts of this mod just allow more HOT air into the box. (Known to be bad for performance, especially in the summer months... :nono: )[/b]
I never thought about it until now, but if you put some PVC or metal duct from the resonator hole in the air box down to where the resonator used to be, you could feed cooler air from in front of the wheel (where a typical CAI sits) to the air box. Might help with the hot air problem.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
And like this:

I did end up taking it off because I was not able to custom fab the foglight cover like twowheelin did, but the car did sound noticeably louder after.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts