Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After finally getting my car back from the shop today, I decided to test out the airbox mod several of our members created. Per Stretch’s suggestion I decided not to gut the whole airbox, basically I removed the airbox, took out the tray in the middle (WTF was that thing for anyhow?) and I removed the resonator. The tuba tube and the flapper I left in the airbox in there stock location. It should be noted that I am using the stock airfilter.

First the sound. I hardly notice it being louder than stock. Maybe V6’s just sound different then I4’s, but with these mods it doesn’t sound any different until after 4,500 RPM and even then it’s a pretty deep growl, it doesn’t scream like a banshee like a Civic or Integra.

As far as performance goes, I don’t notice much down low under 3,000 RPM, after 3,000 I think I feel a little bit more kick, after 4,800 RPM to redline I can feel a significant difference. It pulls harder in the higher RPM band, before above 5,000 RPM I felt like someone was strangling my engine, now you can tell it breaths better. The power band seems somewhat smoother, when I launch from a stop the VVT isn’t as noticeable around 3,250 RPM. I’m not sure how much my stock filter is hurting me here, how restrictive are they? In light of the kinda post from the gentlemen from Australia, I’m going to remove the plastic that covers the tuba piece this weekend.

One note that should be added to the sticky post about removing the airbox contents, I found that when removing the tray, that last large clip that holds it in is easiest to pop from inside the airbox, you can use a flat head screwdriver to pop the other three on the outside, and once loose, pop the last one from inside.

I would appreciate thoughts on my comments, especially the value of a K&N filter.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Airbox Mod Impressions'

Originally posted by Brillo
It pulls harder in the higher RPM band, before above 5,000 RPM I felt like someone was strangling my engine, now you can tell it breaths better.[/b]
I hear that! I feel the same thing without the airbox mod. And I think your butt dyno has been confirmed by the recent dyno plots. After 5K, its get extremely rich. Needs more air in there!

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Reading Topic: Airbox Mod Impressions

I did the airbox mod as well.. I did what the directions described I took out the flapper, tuba and the bottom tray but left the resonator in because the plastic screws that hold that mudflap thingy on are stripped! :(

Anyways... With what I have done I do notice a sound difference. But I only hear it past 3000 RPMs. It's just a louder growl that makes it sound meaner. As far as performance goes... I want to say it increased perofrmance in the "torque curve" (3-6k RPMs); but in reality I don't think it did.

I will try to pull the resonator out and see if it increases anything else. Just need to figure out a way to get those plastic screws out! Another member mentioned heating up my screwdriver and melting the plastic to mold a phillips, but wonder if there's another way.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Airbox Mod Impressions'

Originally posted by Absolut

Another member mentioned heating up my screwdriver and melting the plastic to mold a phillips, but wonder if there's another way.  [/b]
That was me... you might also use a Dremel or other cutting tool to cut a slot across the head and turn em with a flat-head screwdriver...

Since the heads are recessed, only way I can see to get em out is create a new head of some sort (at least it's plastic); or drill em out and replace em...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Remember they are not screws. It is a pop fastner, DO NOT USE A LOT OF PRESSURE. If you press down the head can not pop up. Insert the tip and just a twist will pop up the head.

If you have rounded it off, try using a small straight blade.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts

I did these mods and ever since i noticed my AMB temp display will be very high when i start my car like it got all the way up to 132 one time and eventhough i live in vegas its not that hot here the temp here has been around 100 not much more if higher any ideas?

·
Registered
272 Posts

Mine said 94 degrees once but it was actually only about 75. It does that sometime.

·
Registered
652 Posts

My AMB seems really low (no mods done yet).

I live in Phoenix, and it was 110 yesterday, when I got in the car it said 92. It was parked in the sun all day. Odd.

·
Registered
272 Posts

I noticed I need to give it at least 5 minutes for it to display the temperature correctly, but I figured it was normal. Mine seems to work ok.

As for the airbox mod, I think I am going to do it this weekend so I will let you know what I think of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts