Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know about the gas mileage and the airbox mod? Does having the airbox mod take away any gas mileage? Gas is getting expensive so.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have noticed a slight decrease in milage but nothing worth mentioning. down to 26 from 26.5 give or take .5MPG in my 2006 6S.

I think its mostly because i like to hear my car roar so i shift later to listen etc.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Does anyone know about the gas mileage and the airbox mod? Does having the airbox mod take away any gas mileage? Gas is getting expensive so.....
[/b]
I haven't noticed any gain. I have a 6s MTX w/14,400 miles. Had the mod for 2 months. Sounds good. A deep growl when you hit the gas. Just looked at the air filter yesterday. I do think this mod causes the air filter to get dirtier faster, which means you are getting more air sucked in the engine. Next thing I am going to try is a K/N hi-flo filter. Maybe that will help alittle. Good luck.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I haven't noticed any gain. I have a 6s MTX w/14,400 miles. Had the mod for 2 months. Sounds good. A deep growl when you hit the gas. Just looked at the air filter yesterday. I do think this mod causes the air filter to get dirtier faster, which means you are getting more air sucked in the engine. Next thing I am going to try is a K/N hi-flo filter. Maybe that will help alittle. Good luck.
[/b]

ARRGGG die green text!! :irate:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sorry to dig up a old thread but I was about to post something about this before stumbling over this thread..

I did the Air-Box mod about 3 weeks ago.. and I am pretty sure that it has decreased my mpg alot...

I usually get 24-25 right now because of the winter. But now that I have the airbox mod done I am getting closer to 20mpg. I mean right now I am right around 1/4 tank so I will tell you the official results from this tank, Its basically my first complete fill up with the mod.

My set up right now is stock 2003 S except the mod and 16" steelies with 205/65/16s (the tires have been on all winter). Just hit 48,000 yesterday... I mean i do hear a rumble and did step on the gas a little harder the first couple times around but now its a new tank and just been using it to drive 10miles to work and back (on the highway ~60-70mph)

When I did the mod, the screw that you are supposed to put back in the flappers vacuum line felt a little loose when I first did it because of the stretched tube but it felt a little better when i reinstalled the airbox. I took everything out of the box, the flapper, the tuba and that bottom grate piece. The resonator below the box is still installed.

Any suggestions? I might reinstall the airbox junk if it does it on the next tank too because who knows maybe its just really bad gas.. :swearin:

·
Registered
820 Posts
anytime you make changes to the motor, you need to reset th ecu so the fuel trims reset. Then they will "re-learn" your current settings. You're still running the maps from the stock airbox. Also, are you sure your foot isn't getting heavier now that you can hear the motor better? That's usually the first thing to happen haha. and for sure remove the resonator, it block so much air from coming through to the box.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I took out the bottom resonator tonight and took off the negative again (must have not waited long enough before) and already I can feel the car runs better. Sounds smoother and more powerful. Thanks guys. Ill post my mpg next tank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts