Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...recently i did the airbox modification including removing the tuba and covering the hole, taking out the tray, and removing the resonator. worst part of it all i got a CEL. I asked my boss at work about it and he told me to put back on the tuba. I did that and reset the car (UGH i hate redoing my stations!) but i havent started it back up since i replaced the tuba. Has this happened to anyone and does anyone have any advice on fixing it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went for a drive around my neighborhood and the CEL was gone, for now. I really dont want this to happen again though.

edit: BTW it came back driving to school...running lean?

·
Registered
859 Posts
The airbox mod shouldn't cause a CEL. You probably forgot to close the plug on that solenoid thing, the one with the green cap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (ydrone @ Feb 7 2010, 04:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1635391
The airbox mod shouldn't cause a CEL. You probably forgot to close the plug on that solenoid thing, the one with the green cap.[/b]
I have a 2008....our cars only have the MAF sensor and thats it...what if i just put duct tape over the hole that went to the resonator...im almost positive im running lean...

·
Registered
859 Posts
what does the CEL code say? Bring it to Autozone or something, they will read it to you for free. Write down the code and post it here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (ydrone @ Feb 8 2010, 11:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1635669
what does the CEL code say? Bring it to Autozone or something, they will read it to you for free. Write down the code and post it here.[/b]
alright...theres an advanced auto parts store around my school...that works too right?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so im back from advanced auto parts and they said that it is code P2177 and the def: is fuel system is too lean at off idle...i thought it was too lean....now what?

·
Registered
859 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha yyeaahh im not an idiot...its the black plastic box underneath it...its like a water collector by the front left tire held in by 3 nuts, 2 of which are very hard to get to

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah thats what i thought too

·
Registered
859 Posts
Just making sure ... you didn't touch the MAF or the hose that connects to the large box with the filter right? Maybe the hose got damaged or something ... it happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I certainly hope not. If i did then I would have to replace everything, reset my car again, and then take it to the dealership. I looked at all the connections for the MAF sensor and none of them seemed to be damaged whatsoever. I dont really know anything about the tube that comes from the intake however i dont think that it would cause it to run lean. If anything was broken it would be the MAF sensor. I think im gunna reset it today before i go to work and see if duct tape over the hole going to the resonator makes any difference

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also you kinda need to touch the MAF sensor but i was very careful with it and only unplugged it smoothly and but it back on. nothing more nothing less

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What if, by removing the resonator, it causes the MAF sensor to vibrate more and get a bad reading and is not infact running lean. Like the resonator is there to keep the box still, collect water, and reduce noise. That would be more sensicle than it just doesnt work all of a sudden, right? i guess all-in-all i still have to replace it huh?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, newbie on the forum. Just curious if there is a 'how to' link on removing the resonator and getting more sound from the airbox? I love the car (just got it yesterday...) but it is definitely too quiet for my liking.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
there isn't any working links i could find but its not that hard. Try to find one on this forum. It just takes some basic knowledge of the car. I dont know how much louder it gets but I'm sure it does.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts