Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the 2006 6i 5-door has front a-pillar airbags? Reason for asking is for gauge pod reasons.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If it does, I'm pretty sure that it says SRS on it.

The reason that I cannot say for sure is because my pillars have been wrapped for so long that I honestly can't remember. I know that the C-pillars are labeled though.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm assuming that if it does, it's not a good idea to put a gauge pod along the pillar lol

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
The airbag doesn't actually blow through the pillar. Instead, it pushes it out about an inch and then blows out in a downwards direction to cover the window area.

Think about it, if the pillar actually blew off in a crash...it would smoke you in the side of the face.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
wasn't it covered a while back that it was side curtain airbags, not IN the a pillar? though, even if it was just curtains, it would pop off the apillar cover with quite a bit of might.

...just try not to get in an accident and you'll be fine!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
QUOTE (MrTea @ Feb 16 2010, 05:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1637416
wasn't it covered a while back that it was side curtain airbags, not IN the a pillar? though, even if it was just curtains, it would pop off the apillar cover with quite a bit of might.

...just try not to get in an accident and you'll be fine![/b]
Yup, you've got it correct. Sorry it I wasn't clear in my explanation. The side curtain airbags are NOT in the pillar...they are screwed into the roof of the car. So the pillar itself has nothing to do with the air bag deploying.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i would imagine keeping any pods as low (close to the windshield) as possible would at least limit any damage done when the top part flies off? might screw up the windshield and/or gauges, but typically that would be the least of your worries if you have all your bags deployed.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I am pretty sure that it does since my 05 6i 5 door does. Really be sure just take off the pillar and if there is a airbag viola.....yeah i would not want to pods on there for the fact if the wires that run to the gauges interfere with the airbag then that would not be good.....also this is coming from me who's current setup the airbags are off due to new seats.....

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ummmm just a thought... how about mounting it in the center of the dash? Or is it a pod that is location specific?

B

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I personally got a lotek pod over the pillar pod but it's all personal preference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts