Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2nd gen 2008 GH Mazda 6. I recently took it to a dealer to get the airbag warning light diagnosed (solid constant light - no flashing) and was told that my airbag module was dead and needed to be replaced at a cost of over $1600 AUD to me. I am pursuing this with Mazda Australia on the grounds that a vital safety component such as that should last the life of the car and am looking for some assistance from them.

My questions to this community: How common is a failure in the airbag module on a 2nd gen Mazda, and/or has anyone heard of this part being faulty from factory? I am really just looking for anything to add weight to my argument so I can cut the cost of this repair. Precedent of this repair being done in Australia under goodwill warranty would be my best case scenario obviously. :)

Thank you for your time

·
Rally Racer
1,976 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2nd gen 2008 GH Mazda 6. I recently took it to a dealer to get the airbag warning light diagnosed (solid constant light - no flashing) and was told that my airbag module was dead and needed to be replaced at a cost of over $1600 AUD to me. I am pursuing this with Mazda Australia on the grounds that a vital safety component such as that should last the life of the car and am looking for some assistance from them.

My questions to this community: How common is a failure in the airbag module on a 2nd gen Mazda, and/or has anyone heard of this part being faulty from factory? I am really just looking for anything to add weight to my argument so I can cut the cost of this repair. Precedent of this repair being done in Australia under goodwill warranty would be my best case scenario obviously. :)

Thank you for your time
Welcome and sorry to hear about your dilemma. I have never heard of one failing but with electrical components who is to say.

It is possible to reset many devices after they have been triggered. I paid $50 for my control module to be reset after a front airbag deployment. The module came out of a 2004 with front and side airbags and I wanted to add curtain and bolster bags to my GY wagon which came only equipped with front bags.
Ask around to some of your body and repair shops.
Replacing it is really easy. If you could find one in a salvage yard that died of drivetrain failure that would be ideal. Make sure all power is disconnected when servicing and make sure it is bolted in place and plugged in before connecting any wiring.
Good Luck.

You can see the module on the right side. It lives behind the center radio climate controls bolted to the top of the center tunnel. Note the yellow plugs. At least that's where it lives in the 1st generation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Damien
I have a Mazda 6 GH 2009 and I am experiencing the same problem, I have opened a case with Mazda and they said will not fix because my car is 2009, the cost to replace the module is $1495,00 in Sydney. I have a newborn baby and have no condition to pay that now. I don't know what to do.
If you had any solution please share with me.
Thank you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts