Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
i just reread this post... now for my parada spec II tires 225/40/18 with a load index of 92

On my tire it says something like... don't exceed 40psi and something about "bead" I'm sorry I can't quote exactly, but it has this warning on it.

So, if i were to inflate to 38 psi... isn't that getting kinda close to that 40psi max??? especially when my tires heat up? I know you've answered a lot of my questions already, but its a tricky subject and i just want to be safe on the road.

Many many thanks.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The warning is actually for the tire installer not to exceed 40 psi to seat the beads. Many tires have max air pressures above 40 psi, but for seating the beads, the tire could potentially explode. There is much less risk once the beads are seated. Your Paradas should have 44 psi max, so 38 is well under the max.

Also consider that the air chamber in the 18 inch tire is smaller than the 17 inch and the higher air pressure is needed to maintain the same load characteristics as original equipment. The tires are designed to hold the extra air. Better to be a little overinflated than underinflated. :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
bumpity bump. resurrecting an old thread that should be pinned. it's about that time of year when the temp drops again, so everyone should check their tires!

·
Registered
56 Posts
i would like to thank you for this information i didnt know i should have increased the pressure on my tyres i allways thought the were under pressure after having read your guide i found am well below cheers from across the big pond

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wish I would have read this before my stock tires wore out @ 15k miles. Mazda tells me to run 32 psi in my stock 225/25R18's. I had my car aligned thinking it was out and the shop told me to run around 40-45 psi. I thought they were a bit nuts at first, as the MANUFACTURER told me to run 32 .... looks like they're not so crazy after all.

·
Registered
405 Posts
25 series ..

stock 18's are 215/45. Mazda pdfs spec 35 for na, 38 for the turbo.
[/b]

ah ok, cool. I was gonna ask about the p zero nero pirelli's (stock 18's) pressure cuz i dont have my manual on me and the front tires seem pretty low and screech a lot when making turns.

35 it is.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Use nitrogen.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'm somewhat confused.

I have a Speed6 - just upgraded to 18x8 wheels with 235/40/18 Toyo T1-Rs.

Since it's technically a lower profile tire, however the overall diameter of the tire is practically the same as the stock 215/45/18 tire, should I be running higher pressure than stock?

The tire installer filled them to 35lbs with nitrogen - I live in CA so temp changes aren't really an issue.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm somewhat confused.

I have a Speed6 - just upgraded to 18x8 wheels with 235/40/18 Toyo T1-Rs.

Since it's technically a lower profile tire, however the overall diameter of the tire is practically the same as the stock 215/45/18 tire, should I be running higher pressure than stock?

The tire installer filled them to 35lbs with nitrogen - I live in CA so temp changes aren't really an issue.
[/b]
Doesn't it say 38 psi on the door post?

Keep in mind I wrote this before the Speed6 came out. Here is more detailed information regarding sizes and air pressures:

Click me!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It does - I'll start there. Thanks.
[/b]
38 was bad. 40 was bad. 45 was bad. 50 was bad.

Dropped it down to 32 and it's good now.

Seems like the T1-r's like lower pressure rather than higher pressure.

EDIT: Spoke with Toyo and they said that the Speed6 requires 38lbs due to the weight of the car, and if a tire failed and caused an accident/injury/death/etc. that I would be responsible for underinflating the tires. Soo....sending the T1-R's back and getting RE-01R's at a signifigant jump in price :(

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
38 was bad. 40 was bad. 45 was bad. 50 was bad.

Dropped it down to 32 and it's good now.

Seems like the T1-r's like lower pressure rather than higher pressure.

EDIT: Spoke with Toyo and they said that the Speed6 requires 38lbs due to the weight of the car, and if a tire failed and caused an accident/injury/death/etc. that I would be responsible for underinflating the tires. Soo....sending the T1-R's back and getting RE-01R's at a signifigant jump in price :(
[/b]
the oem 93-xl rated tires at 38 psi have about the same load rating as 91-sl tires at 35 psi. Going with sl (standard load) type tires would be an option for running lower pressure. I think a 93 sl would allow 32 psi at same load rating as oem's at 38 psi.

Toyoguy, euro/japan load corrections for pressure are not the same as for pmetrics sold in US.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
ive been running 38psi on my 18x7.5 225/40/18 and when i went to have new wheels put on today the guy at discount asked if i wanted 42 psi. i told him 38 is fine but he said 42 is recommend for my size tire. which is more perferred?i know 42 is obviously give you better gas milage which he kept insisting but for ride/handling/safety which is best?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
ive been running 38psi on my 18x7.5 225/40/18 and when i went to have new wheels put on today the guy at discount asked if i wanted 42 psi. i told him 38 is fine but he said 42 is recommend for my size tire. which is more perferred?i know 42 is obviously give you better gas milage which he kept insisting but for ride/handling/safety which is best?[/b]
What's the load index on your tires?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
26 Participants
KevinK2
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing