Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An idea I have seen on other cars and I would love to see something made for mine...Anyone that has a CAI or a SRI can agree that the vents on the driver side inner fender well may not be enough to get cold air directed to the filter. Also all 03-05 sport and non-sport Mazda 6's do not come with fog lights on the bumper because it is integrated on the headlight system. So it leaves us with a plastic cover on the bumper that is virtually useless because even though it has mesh, it is completely sealed to provide lower engine temps.

I believe it will be a great idea to have an Air Duct system to direct air to the filter whether you have a CAI or a SRI and possibly a vented one on the opposite side to lower engine temperature. Here is some sample pictures for one made for a Honda Civic and another example made on a Mazdaspeed 6.

This is the example of the air duct for a Honda Civic and a great example of what I visualize to be made.

Mazdaspeed 6:
He removed the fog light and ran an air duct from the fog light hole straight to the filter.

and this is up to the intake filter:

·
Banned
538 Posts
I have seen a similar set-up on "TRUCKS" were they did something to an El Camino.
Definitely gets at cold air. I like when people get creative and innovative.
Real mechanics sometimes have to think "out of the box". If it doesn't exist, make it.
:cheers: :bulb: :thumbup: :dmetal:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have contemplating doing this. I have fogs in my car so i was just going to run it from my lower grill behind the mesh in the corner straight to the filter. What are the chances of water getting up in there or would it be a good idea to get a filter bypass (pre-filer)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The chances for water to go up there are highly doubtful considering gravity. Also I wouldn't connect the tube directly to the filter....I will leave space just like in the mazdaspeed 6 pictures in case water does travel high enough

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ill show a picture of what I did, I am half way through my build on it. So really its half assed so far. All I need is a oil funnel (i will be blackening this funnel to blend with the car) and brake air ducts (right now I am using home depot dryer (yes dryer for your clothes) exhaust). I dremeled a good 2.5 inch hole right next to the fog light housing, right now it looks ragged and edged up close, but from far you can't tell.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't even know where that is Derick? Product proposal? I found a air duct perfect for 16 dollars, from Summit racing lol, I am just going to dremel it to perfection next. I will be posting pictures of my half ass job today. FINALLY I AM ON SPRING BREAK FTW!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts