Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2004 Mazda 6i since it was new.
The car has a manual A/C system. I have recently noticed that the recirc button for the A/C no longer lights up when depressed. I have also verified when pushing the button, the recirc door does not move.
I have also notice that when the A/C "on" button is not depressed, the A/C compressor is kicking on when the HVAC system is on (fan is at speed 1 or higher) This is occuring when the mode selection is in either floor or vent. I know that the compressor will automatically kick on when the mode is selected to defrost.
Initially, I thought that I may have a bad actuator for the recirc door. However, with the A/C compressor continually on when - I think there maybe another issue. The car is stock and no modifications have been made to the dash or radio.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
May have an answer to my question

Discussions with others seem to indicate that the recirc door actuator has failed. The actuator is an on/off type with electronic feedback system. If the actuator has failed, with the feed back system, it has the capability to stop the power going to the actuator motor to prevent further damage. Also, the fail safe position for the recirc door is "fresh air" to prevent window fogging. Not sure if this will also correct the A/C compressor continually running, but it appears to be worth a try. In a couple of weeks when the part comes in, I will do the repair and hopefully that will cure the issue.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
the heck is a "manual A/c system"?

do you plug in a fan and put a bowl of ice in front of it?

As far as i know, there are different modes that lock out the A/c from recirc'ing -- defrosting windows is a famous one.

Sometimes the system will change modes on you as well if you have the climate control enabled.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For those who may have encountered the same issue, Mysteriously - it started to work normal today after several months of not working. :lol: I did test the recirc. actuator some months ago and it tested OK. I figured I would just leave it as is.

For the person who sent the response of a "manual A/C" and the comment about Ice. His reply was incorrect. An automatic A/C system is a system where you set the temperature and the A/C system will automatically adjust the temperature. A manual A/C system is one where you may have to keep adjusting the temperature to adjust to the outside climate (sun load/temperature). I thought this was a forum to get answers to questions. Evidently, I was incorrect.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
just ignore, but the "manual A/C" uses a cable to operate a blend door to manually control the amount heat and/or cold air coming through the vents.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If your air position selector is ON front windshield defrost or front windshield defrost + floor, the recirc is locked out and the A/C compressor will be ON to help the defrost.

If you try it with the position selector to the normal vents, do the recir work and the AC compressor stop?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issue and wondering if anyone has found the true problem. I have a 2005 and the recirculation button does not work, i.e. stays in the outside air mode. The A/C is always on when selector is set for dashboard vents, floor vents or combination of the two. With the outside temp so high right now the A/C system struggles to cool. Is there any good way to fix?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
When troubleshooting, are all "modes" being tested? If the HVAC is set to floor,
does the air push out of the bottom? I would think if the HVAC is stuck in Defrost,
the A/C compressor is going to run all the time. If the air is switching as the HVAC
is put into different modes then the actuator would be working, right?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Recic button does not work.....

I also have the same problem, I had purchased the recirc motor/actuator and found it was not that at all. I had found a tsb (technical service bulletin) for my car 06' for replacing the fresh air/ recirc switch Assy. Where the radio assy has to come out and be replaced from the backside. I checked the price at a Mazda dealership and it is around $80.00. Unfortunetly I cannot return the actuator that I spent $50.00 on. :mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got an interesting one,manual a/c/heater system on a 2004 mazda 6 3.0l.when heater is turned to defrost when on full hot it begins to blow cool. When floor or panel vents selected it blows hot air.Weird or what?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts