Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone checked if there is a way to help the car breathe easier? What I am referring to is there an air box restrictor on the 6 that can be removed to allow less restricted airflow? I have had Mustangs of various years and since the mid 80's you could gain 2 - 5 hp by removing their "airbox". In addition has anyone tried a aftermarket air filter? I don't see that K&N has one yet.

Thanks,:)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Reading Topic: Air box restrictor???

I'd like an answer to this as well. Not only would I like a hair more power, I'd like to hear the engine a little more than I do right now. Maybe I'm just used to my '89 Honda growling like a bit demon when I stomped the gas, but the 6 is almost too quiet

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

K&N does have a drop-in replacement, at least according to the guys at ATS Performance in Columbia, they told me they would have to order it, about $40 in all. Should ring them up, they always know where to find performance parts.

Speedmax Racing in Columbia also is slowly getting into the M6, they already have a source for the Eibach drop springs, which are cheaper than any place I've seen linked to on here. The guy there told me $245 for the Eibachs and some off brand for about $190. Speedmax is moving from their Two Notch location though, they are finally getting a garage like ATS, and they told me they can do nearly anything you want, they will custom fab a CAI and custom fab turbos.

ATS Performance
(803)786-7766

·
Registered
383 Posts

Be careful taking things out of the oem air intake. I did a mod on my F-150's 4.6 intake which caused it to make an iritating whistle during cold weather. Had to put on an Airaid aftermarket intake to fix it...darn...;-)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Air box restrictor???'

Originally posted by Arcanlaw

I'd like an answer to this as well.  Not only would I like a hair more power, I'd like to hear the engine a little more than I do right now.  Maybe I'm just used to my '89 Honda growling like a bit demon when I stomped the gas, but the 6 is almost too quiet[/b]
Nothing that can't be solved with a power drill and a hack-saw :D A little hole in the firewall and you'll hear all kinds of stuff!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks 84FordMan for the information. When I checked the K&N site their applications page did not list a filter for the six - at least not the V6.

By the way where did you get the name? Do you currently own a Ford (I mean beside the Six)? I have always owned a Mustang until now. In fact I just sold my baby - a 25th anniversary GT Conv. But hey I needed more room for the kids.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
55 Posts

I have done this mod. Can't really say if I actually gained power, as if I dit it was likely only 2-3 HP, but it sounds like I did, so I am very happy. I am just waiting for a intake to come out and I had to mod my car somehow to cure my impatience. It was a slight pain in the a$$ to snap the restricter out, I broke one of the little tabs of the restricter, nothing super glue wont fix if I need to put it back in.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

Originally posted by steelsix
By the way where did you get the name?  Do you currently own a Ford (I mean beside the Six)?  I have always owned a Mustang until now.  In fact I just sold my baby - a 25th anniversary GT Conv.  But hey I needed more room for the kids.

Thanks again,[/b]
Before the 6 I had a 1984 Ford F-150 XLT 4x4 with the 300 cubic inch inline-6, I had done a couple of modifications to it (Holley 4160 600 CFM 4-bbl carb, Offenhauser C-series intake manifold, Ford Racing Cobra air intake, 2.5" dual exhaust with Ravin mufflers, cats removed). From 90 RWHP to 117 RWHP and finalizing the torque at 198 ft-lbs. Sadly though, in February the lifters started tapping and the oil started blowing past the pistons (Just replaced the engine two summers prior to that); lesson learned, never buy a remanufactured engine remanned by Recon.

So I traded it in, along with my sound system in it, for the 6. I am going to get the truck back again one day and finish out that project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts