Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I did the Airbox mod Friday night! Here are my thoughts.

First! The sounds is Incredible. Nice from 2500-3000 RPMS and a nice groul when accelerating above that point until redline. The best part is unless you are accelerating hard or above 2500-3000 RPM's its almost as quiet as it was before. Plus when you are on the Highway it is quiet as a mouse like before. Best of Both worlds. Let me tell ya it sounds sweet when you open it up.

Second! Power. It is definitly less restrictive. Without a doubt. It requires much less pedal on the highway to accelerate not to mention the take off from an idle is way better and throughout the whole power band. Watch out the first time you slip it into gear after you do this because the amount of brake required to hold the car from rolling is alot more with the air box mod than before.

Third! I think it will yield lower gas milage. I have noticed it stays in gears longer and wont upshift as early as before. for instance. it wont go to 6th until about 45 or so(ATX 2006) and 5th until about 35. I used to be able to get it into 6th under 40 in D. I dont expect much worse milage. I got 140 on my top quarter but that was all highway.

Fourth! Shifting is smoother and WAY quicker under WOT.

Final Impression. It is a MUST DO. DO not waist you time. It took me 20 minutes and is easier than the instructions make it look. Good luck and enjoy this mod.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Congrats on doing it.

That said, we don't need YET ANOTHER thread saying the same thing about the same mod.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Congrats on the mod too...glad you like it! Since this is posted in the newbie section!! I see no reason for that comment dabears!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
i finished mine this afternoon and am also pleased with the results. i'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to mods...i'm surprised how easy it was.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i've it done for several months now, I did not remove the resonator and I added the tubar back on after 2 weeks. I did not notice any change in gas mileage outside of my pre-mod mpg variations.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I took off the VAD, Took out the tray, Took out the tuba, Took off the resonator and then sealed off all of the openings from the tray clip holes and sealed off the largest hole near the radiator. I now take in the coldest air near the fender wall ONLY. Also in conjunction with this mod go ahead and add the K&N drop in filter. This should pull a bit more air than stock and adds a unique hollowness to the box allowing even more cool sound. The latest rumer about the forum is that Mazda Corporate has somehow "tweaked" the latest ECU flash. The latest flash lowers the redline (don't know much about it other than that) and *in cunjunction with air box mod somehow gives a synergy effect that actually allows us to MATCH the dyno numbers of the CP-E...so in essence I am saying that the CP-E company's computer enhancement ma be "outdated"...Is this really the case??? I don't know - I was thinking of getting new fresh flash to find out...my car was manufactured Aug 2004 and I have NEVER had a re-flash...C6

·
Registered
113 Posts
I took off the VAD, Took out the tray, Took out the tuba, Took off the resonator and then sealed off all of the openings from the tray clip holes and sealed off the largest hole near the radiator. I now take in the coldest air near the fender wall ONLY. Also in conjunction with this mod go ahead and add the K&N drop in filter. This should pull a bit more air than stock and adds a unique hollowness to the box allowing even more cool sound. The latest rumer about the forum is that Mazda Corporate has somehow "tweaked" the latest ECU flash. The latest flash lowers the redline (don't know much about it other than that) and *in cunjunction with air box mod somehow gives a synergy effect that actually allows us to MATCH the dyno numbers of the CP-E...so in essence I am saying that the CP-E company's computer enhancement ma be "outdated"...Is this really the case??? I don't know - I was thinking of getting new fresh flash to find out...my car was manufactured Aug 2004 and I have NEVER had a re-flash...C6
[/b]
In my previous posts in the dyno section about the air box mod and my dyno #s, the question of recent flash updates, it has been pointed out that my car is slightly leaner than most peoples dyno runs. While still excessivly rich, I am unsure of the calibration level of my car specificaly, but I have verified a 7000rpm hard rev limiter, with a soft limiter coming in at around 64-6500rpm, where timing is pulled to reduce power in anticipation of the 7000rpm limiter. It apears that many people are saying that the newest calibration has the hard limiter moved closer to 6500rpm rather than 7000rpm.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What the hell is wrong with you, Dabears. Take that pole that's shoved up your ass out and calm down. You jump on everyone just because you think they should all know as much as you. At one point i bet you didnt know anything about this car also. This is the noob section anyways.

·
Registered
233 Posts
What the hell is wrong with you, Dabears. Take that pole that's shoved up your ass out and calm down. You jump on everyone just because you think they should all know as much as you. At one point i bet you didnt know anything about this car also. This is the noob section anyways.
[/b]
That was awsome

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i feel like an idiot, where can i find this airbox mod thread so i can read about it lol.

·
Registered
405 Posts
airbox sound (the growl) will get louder /deeper over the next week or two as your ecu adjusts to your style of driving.

im wondering tho... i had my car in for warranty work (new TB among other things) and mine is a 2006. I dont think they did any ECU update. Too bad you cant download stuff yourself and install the software for your ecu wirelessly thru bloothtooth or something, lol.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
someone help me out i'll even let you refer to me as the Mazda 6 club village idiot for a while and not act offended lol. i just need a link to how to do this mod.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
someone help me out i'll even let you refer to me as the Mazda 6 club village idiot for a while and not act offended lol. i just need a link to how to do this mod.
[/b]

·
Registered
168 Posts
[/b]
simply conduct a search for "air box mod", it really is that easy to find the link.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
WOOOO OWNIN Dabears, seeming to become a common trend.

grats on the airbox mod. if you have a 05 with a stock tune, i think it produces more power than the earlier ecu tunes.

thats why sweet35th has such a good performance gain.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
well I just finished doing it to my speed6 and took it for a spin....don't hear a difference....I didn't take it on the highway but I did go through some gears quick and hit 60mph on a back road....I don't think it really made it any louder...not noticably anyway...I took off the tuba and the bottom plate.....does it not work was well on the speed6?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts