Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was installing my new filter and modding the airbox when I ran into two problems.

Everything went perfectly per the tech forum's instructions until it came time to put the screw in the airhose that came off the flapper assembly. The hose was too big. The screw falls out if the hose shakes. Realizing that this would be a bad thing while the engine is running, I put the flapper back on until I can find a solution. So my question on THAT problem:

What do I do? I was thinking of using duct or electrical tape to hold the screw in, but I don't know if that will provide enough of a vaccuum seal on the hose.

Then...the tray wouldn't come out. Son of a GUN that thing is on tight. Couple of the latches wouldn't budge, and I don't want to break them, so I left it for now.

How much of a difference will the tray make to sound quality?

I have the tuba off and notice no difference whatsoever in the sound, so if I can't fix the other two problems, I may just put Mr. Tuba back on to keep it cleaner in the box.

The box was FILTHY, btw. Sand, gravel, grass, paper...all kinds of shit under the filter. Here's a pic of the filter itself. Last changed 20K miles ago. Colorado tends to be a bit dusty. :) I got the box cleaned out nicely, though I couldn't get under the tray.

It looks to me like the tray just sends air out through the stinking tuba...is that the case?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No CEL problems with that, then?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
So I was installing my new filter and modding the airbox when I ran into two problems.

Everything went perfectly per the tech forum's instructions until it came time to put the screw in the airhose that came off the flapper assembly. The hose was too big. The screw falls out if the hose shakes. Realizing that this would be a bad thing while the engine is running, I put the flapper back on until I can find a solution. So my question on THAT problem:

What do I do? I was thinking of using duct or electrical tape to hold the screw in, but I don't know if that will provide enough of a vaccuum seal on the hose.

Then...the tray wouldn't come out. Son of a GUN that thing is on tight. Couple of the latches wouldn't budge, and I don't want to break them, so I left it for now.

How much of a difference will the tray make to sound quality?

I have the tuba off and notice no difference whatsoever in the sound, so if I can't fix the other two problems, I may just put Mr. Tuba back on to keep it cleaner in the box.

The box was FILTHY, btw. Sand, gravel, grass, paper...all kinds of shit under the filter. Here's a pic of the filter itself. Last changed 20K miles ago. Colorado tends to be a bit dusty. :) I got the box cleaned out nicely, though I couldn't get under the tray.

It looks to me like the tray just sends air out through the stinking tuba...is that the case?
[/quote
I had the same problem with the screw so i found a larger one in the tool box. As for tray, I got it out but it took some work and patience. I had it done for a week and got tired of the sound and put it back together with the exception of the tray. Here in the valley is very dusty as well, I was concerned about good filtration so I think i'll skip the airbox mod, afterall it's just for sound.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I am kind of concerned about taking the tuba off. Leaves a big ole hole where I'm afraid dirt and debris will get in....

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WOuld covering the tuba hole eliminate sound gains?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
WOuld covering the tuba hole eliminate sound gains?
[/b]
Actually, when I had mine done, I taped off the opening from the tuba to eliminate hot air from the engine bay getting into the box. Like I said though, after a week of listening to what reminded me of an exhaust leak, I put everything back together until I can purchase a CAI.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I did this yesterday and ran into the same problem--the screw wouldnt stay in the hose. I used a spare license plate screw I had laying around and it plugged it up perfectly.

As for the tray, I dunno...mine came right out...Although I used the hammer/screwdriver/shop rag method.

I thought it sounded so good, I went ahead and took the resonator off too. I've put about 40 miles on the car, and no CEL. This will hold me over until I get the CPE system!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll give a larger screw a try tomorrow (now how many times have I said THAT in my life?), and try again on the tray. If I like the sound, I'll keep it. If not, I'll put the pieces back!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Removing the tray is easier than it seems. Use a rag over a flat-head screwdriver to loosen the smaller tabs on the bottom of the box. You can also try to loosen the bigger ones on the sides a little, but they're almost impossible to pop out with a screwdriver. Then just put the air box on the ground, reach inside and grab underneath the tray and pull hard. It will pop right out.

·
Registered
305 Posts

[/b]
My screw didn't fit either. I took some electrical tape and ran it over the thread of the screw a couple times to boost the size up, then it fit fine.

As for the tray, work on the tabs/latches one at a time, either clockwise or counter-clockwise. Try to keep those that you already popped out from getting back in. I think the write up said something like, "you'll wish you had extra hands at this point," and it was right. Just keep pulling and working on the tabs in a circular motion.

·
Registered
123 Posts
lol, i just ran into the same problems friday. Accept i couldnt get the damn cover off, the hose on my 6i was making it real tight. You have to push down and forward to unlatch the hinge. Well i busted the damn thing. Piece went flying, no clue where it went.

I got the tuba off, and removed the tray. I had to wrap some tape around the end of the screw so it would fit tighter. And i taped up the hole in the front. Everything went back together just fine. Even though i broke a piece off, that damn hose holds that suck on tight. Plus the 2 clips up front so im not worried.

Now i just need a CAI, and i wont have to worry about anything anymore. To bad i cant find a damn air filter at Wal-Mart, or Auto Zone in the meantime. Guess i have to go to the Mazda dealer...

·
Registered
431 Posts
What hoses are you guys hooking back up? When I did the mod I did not put any screw in vaccuum hoses. I just pulled out that green/white bulb and reversed it. It plugs that vaccuum line if its backwards from stock. None of the other hoses need to be attached after the mod.

·
Registered
826 Posts
What hoses are you guys hooking back up? When I did the mod I did not put any screw in vaccuum hoses. I just pulled out that green/white bulb and reversed it. It plugs that vaccuum line if its backwards from stock. None of the other hoses need to be attached after the mod.
[/b]
What he said. The green/white bulb is a check valve - if you reverse it, it will block the vacuum off completely. No need for a screw...

·
Registered
990 Posts
the tray was a huge pain in the butt to take out....just keep trying. That was easily the worst part.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Funny -- my dealer's service manager said that this mod can cause damage to other parts and would void the warranty if done, but that it does NOT necessarily allow more dirt into the engine.

It wasn't my normal service manager, though, so I an dubious about the info.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
chances are i've dont this mod about a month after getting the car new...the mod was great nice little throaty sound when you really hunker down on the throttle.....

basically they're never gonna realize that you've even done anything to the airbox....take out the tray man...i took everything out except the resonator...and it sounds alot better love the sound...but i can't wait to get my hands on a cp-e...damn i gotta get a job!!!!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, she had NOTHING good to say about CAIs, either. Said they DO cause damage. I'm not sure she had a clue.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Ask her to explain why. She will not have an answer. You are simply allowing more air into the engine. It would be done at the factory for easy hp gains, but noise doesn't really suit the needs of some 6 owners.

I did it a month ago. The sound is nice (until I can afford a CAI) and it balances out the exhaust note.

Either the previous owner did the airbox mod, or I am a mechanical genius because I had no problem getting the tuba or tray out. I'll keep thinking its the latter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
12 Participants
Stealth01
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing