Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i did the airbox mod a week ago and was pretty content. Yesterday while doing the coolant bypass and some tb alterations, my curiosity got to me.

There is a down pipe in the bottom of the stock tray that connects to a tube and box connected to the chasis. When I did the first mod, I just assumed that there was another inlet in this assembly that pulled air from the coolest spot possible which is about where a cai pulls from (close to the bumber). DEAD WRONG! This 2nd box has merely a pin hole in it!!!!!!! This whole assembly appears to be bolted in, but I found that it really snaps into place. Needless to say that whole 2nd box is sitting in my house with the rest of my car's guts. You have to remove that black flap on the bottom side of the bumper to get that extra baggage out of there. I cant tell you what kind of difference this made because I did some other stuff too.

Needless to say, it has to be worth doing. You have a ~3" hole that is connected to a box in one of the coolest areas of your engine compartment, and it only has a pin whole? That shit aint for me.

Discussion questions for the class:

I now have a gutted air box with 3 big ass inlets. Surely this causes turbulance, but then again it is all pre-filter, so it may get sorted out as it passes through the filter. I thought about putting the flapper back in there and not connecting the vaccum hose so that it stays closed. More air or less turbulence? I hope to get on a track or dyno or something soon to tinker, as these configurations take like to seconds to change around.

In closing, between this extra step, the tb coolant bypass, and the minor alterations i did to the throttle body I would reccommend anyone with a stock 6 to take a few hours to do this stuff. The overall gains from 2.5 hours of work were rediculous! :D

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
ja. its called the resonator.

what how to were you using? it should tell you to remove the resonator.... lol

its not the tuba dabears.. you silly little man.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
airflow. turbulence does not matter as much at that point.

you want to lower the pressure differential over the filter. more air helps that.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
and in regards to turbulence, the answer is to get a CAI. The airbox mod is nice in the interum before a CAI, but doesn't replace what a CAI will give you

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
airflow. turbulence does not matter as much at that point.
you want to lower the pressure differential over the filter. more air helps that.
[/b]

thats kinda where i was leaning with my thoughts too. i had not seen anything about the resonator previously btw. damn...i thought i was gonna be cool and bring something to the table!

and in regards to turbulence, the answer is to get a CAI. The airbox mod is nice in the interum before a CAI, but doesn't replace what a CAI will give you
[/b]

No denying that! I just kinda like the idea of it appearing bone stock, but having a few free goodies. for now anyway...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Actually if you go to the Dyno and Track part of this forum you will see where a fellow Mazda6 member has demonstrated that the air box mod is MORE effective than any mod outpowering or matching any CAI unit up for sale including the CP-E mod!!! If you read the thread you will see that even Crossbow did NOT dispute the findings!!! The air box mod is FREE and gains you MORE than any CAI on the market...no one wants to admit this because it will not be good for S A L E S of aftermarket products...

·
Registered
58 Posts
For all of you removing the tuba...ever notice that that hole sits right behind the left side of the radiator?

Dunno about you, but I sure don't want hot ass air getting thrown into the intake.

·
Registered
426 Posts
For all of you removing the tuba...ever notice that that hole sits right behind the left side of the radiator?

Dunno about you, but I sure don't want hot ass air getting thrown into the intake.
[/b]
Back when I had the airbox, I sealed that hole with some superglue and a sheet of plastic.

·
Registered
919 Posts

[/b]
That's why I left mine on when i did the mod. :yesnod:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
Ericzoom
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing