Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017.5 Mazda 6. I purchased an aftermarket Trunk Net (by TrunkNets, Inc) in December 2018 from Amazon for $24.95.
. The kit is specific to 2014-2018 Mazda6 cars. It is not a generic kit. The package came complete with everything I needed, and the 5 page instructions are Mazda 6 specific, well written, and were surprisingly good. The instructions take you step by step through removing the required parts in the trunk culminating with the black plastic trim piece on the inside of the trunk below the trunk lip. This plastic piece has push pin retainers attaching it to the wall of the trunk. The kit replaces the push pins with well nuts and T-Anchors. The T-Anchors are what the trunk net attaches to. Here is the only problem that I had with the kit, and it's a big one. The kit instructions tell you to use a 7/16" drill bit to enlarge the four holes for the kit supplied well nuts. A 7/16" drill bit is pretty large and long, particularly when including the length of the drill. The clearance on the left side top is approximately 7" and my drill and bit were closer to 12". Not even close, not even at an angle. Even if I had a right angle drill, I think the clearance would have been too tight unless I cut down the drill bit. I ended up using a dremel and a metal grinder bit to slowly enlarge the two upper holes. This worked well and was fast. Perhaps 2 minutes per hole. Note, don't go too fast, if you make the hole too big the well nuts won't fit and the old push pins won't work anymore. You'd really be up a creek if you make it too large. Just take your time and grind a little at a time and then try the well nut till it slide in. The holes weren't as round as a drill bit would have made, so I ended up applying a small amount of epoxy glue to all 4 well nuts for extra holding power. I suspect that lateral torsion would have been enough holding power without the epoxy. After letting the epoxy cure for a few hours I re-assembled the trunk and installed the trunk net. I'm super happy with the installed product. It's high quality and the installation looks completely factory. The width is perfect leaving it just taught enough, but not too taught. We have a Honda Accord with factory trunk net, and a Nissan Maxima with factory trunk net, and this is at least as good or better than they are at a remarkably low price. I would buy it again, and would recommend it if you are comfortable with the irregular method of drilling the well nut holes.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,540 Posts
Not sure where you get a wagon from looking at the pics...

Looks pretty damn good, just like OEM. Helluva lot less expensive too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts