Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with tint recommendations. I'm picking up my 6s next week and want to have it tinted. I've never put tint on a car before and want to avoid making mistakes. Any recommendations for things to look for when selecting the right tint and the right installer? How much should I expect to pay?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Reading Topic: Aftermarket Tint

You doing the whole car? If so around $185. Thats the avg I've gotten from 4 different installers. Im just doing the back, and the rear windows for now. Price for that- 80 bucks for 5%. But thats from a friend that is "retired" from the install racket. Owes me a favor and does excellent work. "So I got that goin for me."-Carl the Greenskeeper(Caddyshack)

·
Registered
878 Posts

I Currently have 20% front windows and 5% rear windows. Looks really nice and should help keep the heat down this summer. Cost should run you under $200.00 depending where you go.

Edit...don't forget to ask about a lifetime warranty

·
Registered
341 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Aftermarket Tint'

I had a huge post on the C&D forums about this that I was just going to cut and paste, but now I can't find it....oh well. Here's the shorter version.

Most major tint manufacturers are very comparable in quality. I have personally dealt mainly with LLumar (which I really like) but I understand that Solargard is another very good film. 3m and Madico also make films, but I don't know of their quality.

The primary thing to ensure you're doing is to select a metallized film, NOT a dyed one. The metals sputtered into films nowadays ensure that the film will not fade or turn purple, and additionally they reflect more of the solar energy. Contrary to popular belief, metallized does not mean mirrored. Check out some tint swatches at the installer to pick one you like. Personal opinion, the "smoke" or non-reflective films tend to look good on darker cars, and the reflective tints will look better on lighter cars. Both types will have similar amounts of energy absorption.

One thing I would recommend against is having your film installed at a FormulaOne dealer. They typically charge a premium over the LLumar films even though they are made by the same company (CPFilms). I was never able to get any of the CPFilms reps to explain the difference between the films...they just said it was a "different market proposition." Well, interpret that how you will, but my interpretation was to keep buying LLumar since it had the exact same solar energy absorption/warranty/available shades.

·
Registered
237 Posts

why not get it done with you mazda6 dealer?

I know here, my dealer goes out and does it with an australian company, but the dealer provides a life time warranty on it.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

why not get it done with you mazda6 dealer?

The dealer I bought from in Houston quoted $250 to do the tint. I figured I could find a better deal elsewhere.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any ideas on how to find authorized LLumar or Solargard dealers in Houston? Their websites are not helpful and do not have a dealer locator feature....

·
Registered
205 Posts

Originally posted by cgam99

I need some help with tint recommendations.  I'm picking up my 6s next week and want to have it tinted.  I've never put tint on a car before and want to avoid making mistakes.  Any recommendations for things to look for when selecting the right tint and the right installer?  How much should I expect to pay?[/b]
Umm Honestly CGAM99.. you can't go with the prices we are giving you here on the forum. It really depends on where you live. You being in Texas.. Like the other guys, they said from PA=$185, and MA=under $200... I live in NJ and I paid $200 for mine, but it should have been $265 for other people.. Now it also depends on what type of film you get. I got the highest film on the market, which warranties from cracking/bubbling/ or the installers' installation of the tint it also hasUV protection so the sun won't ruin my inteior. I also got a ONE WHOLE back window piece meaning... Some places get two pieces of tint to cover the back windshield, which yes it's cheaper, but if installed bad or with time you can actually see where the 2 pieces of tints meet up,which is right in the middle of the back windshield...Me on the other hand got a whole piece back windshield, which covers the whole window with a big one piece tint film.. costs more because of the hard labor to get it installed... Another helpfull tint is the smaller the % number of the tint, the darker it is and the higher the % number, the lighter it is.. I have 15% back windows and 35% 2 front windows.. During the day you ca kind see a difference but it still looks nice. At night it all looks the same darkness.. I would have gone with all 15% but in NJ the law prohibits the front windows being tinted, and I've gotten stopped quite a few times befoee with my 99 Accord.. So umm.. it depends on thos factors and also if you know people that'll hook you up with a good deal....Since I knew a guy there, he hooked me up with all the best for $65 cheaper.. Wish you luck and hope this helped you out

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

There's a place here in MD that uses Solar Gard and charges about $150 for a sedan. Had my Supra done there a couple years back and the quality of the film over the 3 years I had the car was top notch. Never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
455 Posts

Are the do-it-yourself kits from good tint manufacturers worth the cheaper price? I have never tried to apply the tint myself.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

Everyone I've seen that use the DIY kits that we sell at work, it looks horrible, because most of them don't know what they are doing. For something I'm going to look at everyday, I want a professional to do.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Originally posted by Bantha

Are the do-it-yourself kits from good tint manufacturers worth the cheaper price?  I have never tried to apply the tint myself.[/b]
Honestly the DIY tints suck.. they really do... They turn purple in a matter os maybe months in the hot streaming sun.. and they look stupid.. start bubbling and peeling.. thats because they didn't install them correctly.. But my friend who works at a shop and has been doing this for more than 8 years now.. Installed this DIY tint on another friends car (he's really a cheap bastard) bought it a Pep-Boys. anyways.. my friend installed it very very nice and good.. but honestly. I would say 9 months.. always going out, beach and having the car outdoors.. the tints turned purple and shades of brown... NASTY... but the installation was still in perfect condition. what i say is.. you get what you pay for. and if it has to deal with your vehicle (your pride and joy) better make it something you pay for.. not some cheap shit.. good luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts

i got my tint for all my windows exept my windshield for $150 limo in the back and 35% on the passenger and driver windows

·
Registered
262 Posts

Atenza2003, have you gotten pulled over yet for having your front windows tinted 35%? As you can tell, I'm from NJ as well. My brother tinted his windows on his 2000 Golf (which is totaled now) a few years back the exact same way as you, but he got pulled over approx 4 times on account of his front window tint.

·
Registered
100 Posts

I also live in NJ and I'm considering tinting my windows. Does anyone from NJ know the max legal % tint I can get away with?

·
Registered
683 Posts

most states dont allow any tint on the front driver and passenger windows..

·
Registered
262 Posts

Originally posted by mike6758

I also live in NJ and I'm considering tinting my windows.  Does anyone from NJ know the max legal % tint I can get away with?[/b]
Tinting laws in NJ allow any percentage of tint on the rear window and rear passenger windows, but none on the front driver/passenger side. You are also allowed to have a strip of tint on the top of your front windshield, but it cannot extend more than 3" down.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Originally posted by robgtaasc

Atenza2003, have you gotten pulled over yet for having your front windows tinted 35%?  As you can tell, I'm from NJ as well.  My brother tinted his windows on his 2000 Golf (which is totaled now) a few years back the exact same way as you, but he got pulled over approx 4 times on account of his front window tint.  [/b]
Honestly when I had my old car,...1999 Honda Accord, which I totalled. I had the same % tint on it. I had gotten pulled over for them 2 times in a matter of 2 years.. then I totalled it.. So far.. knock on wood, I didn't get pulled over with the 6 and I've had it for 2 months now...

MIKE6758.... in New jersey you can have any % tint on the back windows.. The front windows CAN NOT have anything.. not even the lightest tint of anything.. It had to be clear dry like factory.. In my opinion and Like I have on my car, I would go with 35% on the front.. Not too dark and not that light.. If you iffy about tickets and escpecially with NJ, I would go with 30% front, but then I would go with 35% back windows.. My mado is get the same color tinit all the way around, or if not get them 1 level % different don't go with 5% limo on back and then 30% on front it'll look too obvious of the color change Get me? LOL

Hope that helped
:) :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Aftermarket Tint

ROBGTAASC..... I heard from cops around me that the legal strip on the front can not exceed 6" down...

Oh yeah by the way more info for you other guys.. I don't know about other states but here in NJ.. You cannot have mirror/silver...blue...red...or even yellow tint on your car anywhere front or back windows the only tint you can have is the old fashioned black. As for the stripe on the front windshield, that can only be black also.. My best friend got pulled over because he had a white stripe on the front.. He told the cop, " It's the legal size, nothing wrong with that" then the cop said "Yeah it's legal size but it can't be any color.. It has to be see through.. meaning it only could be black tinting.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Aftermarket Tint

Yeah, all that info (color, how far down in the front window, etc) is in the link I provided above for EVERY state. Even has the year of the law for each state. But MOST importantly, it tells for each state whether the law applies to the combined light transmission of the tint and glass, or just tint (or if the language is vague). This is important because most auto glass will cause you to lose some light transmittance. That means if you put 35% on and the law says 35%, an inspection may result in less than 35% transmittance! You would be illegal!

1 - 20 of 115 Posts