Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car with Nav but no sunroof as it was the last one on the lot that had black leather and not the white and black, they had a GT with Nav and a sunroof but I passed on it. I've seen adds for $800 they install a pop-up (not electric) sunroof, wondering if anyone has done this or thought about it. Obviously I've got the other power issues to deal with first, but when it comes back from the shop was considering it. Had it done aftermarket to a 1995 explorer I used to own and it worked fine, no leaks and I got what I wanted - sun on my face when I drive. Anyone done this to a MS6?

Thoughts?

PS called Premier Mazda and they won't deal on a Mazdaspeed CAI while it's in for service so looks like I'll be calling the dealership in AZ for the $281 price!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I think you should just leave it. Also having a sun roof adds to the cars flex.

·
Registered
475 Posts
one thing i would worry about is moisture, every after market sunroof ive ever seen atleast seeps in moisture, if it doesn't just out right leak! :( but i guess you are in texas, maybe that won't be the case for you.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you should just leave it. Also having a sun roof adds to the cars flex.
[/b]

PDX, sweet, I used to live in Tigard and Beaverton for years. Love the city, hate the rain. And what happened to my Blazers?????

On topic, I'm not so sure a small cut in the roof (the pop-up moonroof I had installed in the exploder was only 1' x 3' and dead middle of the roofline) would that really cause more body flex. Think it would? Look at the factory installed moonroof, now there's a gap in the structural integerity :)

one thing i would worry about is moisture, every after market sunroof ive ever seen atleast seeps in moisture, if it doesn't just ou

surprisingly the aftermarket roof I bought for the exploder never leaked, though it was always a concern. With the drought we're having here, I'm not too worried about it, though :) Not to disagree with you, but I'd still like some real-world data, has anyone done this? What was the result?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Personally, I think sunroofs serve little purpose and I wouldn't pay for one if it didn't come in the car from the factory. Little benefit for the money. It also adds unwanted weight to the vehicle.

However, my previous car had an aftermarket sunroof that was dealer installed and it had no problems at all.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally, I think sunroofs serve little purpose and I wouldn't pay for one if it did come in the car from the factory. Little benefit for the money. It also adds unwanted weight to the vehicle. Just my $.02
[/b]
Overall, I'd tend to agree with you (and if that Cherry Mica didn't have black and white seats I'd be driving it now), but actually I think I'd lose a few pounds in weight. These pop-ups sunroofs are basically a piece of glass with a water impermiable seal, consider what they cut out to make it fit; metal. I'd bet it's be a pound or two lighter, maybe more...

Just my 2 cents

Still haven't heard, has anyone done this????????????????????

·
Registered
493 Posts
Waste of money. Unless you REALLY want it. But if you really wanted it you'd probably have held out for a sunroof equipped model.

If you plan on selling the car anytime soon - 3-5 years, an aftermarket sunroof that underperforms the factory sunroof is a liability.

For comparison sake, I only paid $500 for the factory roof.

·
Registered
661 Posts
hey man - chicks dig 'em - 'nuff said.

seriously though, if it didn't come from the factory, don't bother.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
seriously though, if it didn't come from the factory, don't bother.
[/b]

Yeah, more I think about it, the more that's right. Even with the hot-babe factor added in :) the plusses don't out weigh the minuses...

Thanks for everyone's input!

·
Registered
358 Posts
The MS6 factory moonroof SHOULD have a one touch open button.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I have an aftermarket moon roof(panoramic), which ie made by Webasto, which manufacturers the majority of factory roofs. I have had no issues after nearly 2 years, so pretty much the choice is yours to make.

·
Registered
201 Posts
During the mid-90's I was a sunroof installer for a company. We used both ASC and Webasto roofs and primarily dealt with cars straight off the showroom floor (ie. before customer delivery). We dealt with mostly new Honda's, Toyota's, Mitsubishi's, Ford Explorers and Lincoln Town Cars.

I must say that after doing it for 3+ years I would never subject one of my personal cars to this. If you have ever had an aftermarket roof installed and have had the opportunity to pull your headliner down and look behind it... it would scare the hell out of you. And speaking of headliners, since the new aftermarket roof requires an entirely different headliner than the one that is on your car now, your new headliner becomes a patchwork quilt essentially. It will usually need to be redone every 5 years or so.

I disagree with anyone who says they will leak... because that generally is not the case when done by a reputable shop. It is the rest of the problems you should worry about. Oh yeah... did I mention RATTLES?

Buying a sunroof straight from the FACTORY is an entirely different story.

Don't do it aftermarket. If you want one that bad trade your Speed in on another one.

My $.02

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I have an aftermarket moon roof(panoramic), which ie made by Webasto, which manufacturers the majority of factory roofs. I have had no issues after nearly 2 years, so pretty much the choice is yours to make.
[/b]
The company that did my interior also does webasto sunroofs and have done thousands of installs with no problems. They do most of the dealer installs here in San Diego

·
Registered
856 Posts
The MS6 factory moonroof SHOULD have a one touch open button.
[/b]
No shit right? I agree completely. 4 one touch up/down windows but not the roof?!?

Anyway, I'd hate to have my roof cut up like that.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I added an aftermarket moonroof to our '06 WRX. Designed by Webasto (the same company that designed the complex folding top for either the new Volvo C70 or VW Ios..can't remember which) & installed by a reputable company.

power sliding & tilting, one touch operation, sliding sunshade...installed for $900. I've had no leaks, rattles or other issues. I've had a moonroof in every car I've had..but wasn't willing to spend $2500 for the smaller factory roof in the WRX Limited (which also added leather).

·
Registered
649 Posts
I added a sunroof to my 6, a webasto spoiler style. It has never leaked and is beautiful. Truth is a good number of cars that leave the dealer with sunroofs didn't leave the factory with them. Call your local dealer, ask who they use and go to them. It's not a big concern anymore. Just make sure you maintain it. (i.e. cleaning the seals once a year)

·
Registered
900 Posts
:nono: I would avoid getting an aftermarket roof like it was the plague! Seriously, I've been in the service end of the car business for years. Eventually something will happen to that aftermarket roof and no one will be able to fix it!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I spoke to my pal who owns a body shop......I asked him this same question about my Speed6 Sport. His reply was that when a OEM sunroof is installed, they run lines between the outer layer of the roof and the inner layer that carry water into the A-Pillars or fenders in front, and out into the quarter panels in the rear. He said that most aftermarket sunroof installers cut the hole, mount the sunroof with the associated perimeter channel, and hope that what water gets in the channel finds a way out the A-Pillar or Quarter panel on its own. He says it is nearly impossable on most cars to get lines run from the channel to the quarters or fenders without cutting the car up completely. He says that because of this and the associated rust out liability...his shop will not install a aftermarket sunroof under any conditions. He would rather you go down the street and pay Joe-Blows auto body to do the job...and let Joe-Blow deal with any issues that most likely will arrise down the road. I respect Bill's honesty and ethics and I personally will not be second guessing his sound advice. He owns Dons Auto and frame in Morgantown WV, he is not a fictional character, but a 20+ year body man and now owner of the shop that he has been working at for years. We all make our own decisions, and I dont expect everyone to agree with my opinion, or with Bill's. But just take it into the thinking.......where will the water go if it passes the outer seal and gets into the channel? OEM hoses running the water out sound nice and warm...like a blanket on a cold evening. Water running around my cars inner sheet-metel trying to find a way out sounds like 1970's american cars with rotted fenders and what-not after 5 years!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
As far as Webasto, you have to be trained by them in order to even sell the product, let alone install it. Again, I have had no issues with leaks, drainage, headliners, etc. The roof is guaranteed for 50, 000 miles, again it depends on if you do your research and check out the companies prior work.

Mine was done by a reputable company in Cleveland, that has been in business for well over 35 years. In fact Webasto Corp. highly recommended them. No regrets, none at all!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts