Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this SRI on Amazon: High Performance Parts Short Ram... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VR6FK34?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I had it installed by my mechanic of over 10 years - I don’t attribute this issue to neither the mechanic nor the part maker. Ever since the intake was swapped, if I try to idle the car or come to a complete stop at a light, it just shuts the engine off and only battery runs. Driving at 30 mph or below is atrocious with the constant misfire. We followed the instructions for resetting the battery as provided in the instructions. I have DrTuned tuning kit on the way, but I need to figure this out before I jump into that. Any idea what the problem might be? Did I not reset the ECU correctly? Is the ecu relearning? BTW, I just ordered the Corksport 2014 Non-Turbo 2.5 SRI. I hope that fixes the problem, but I’d send someone $100 on venmo at this point to guide me how to resolve this before I have to drive downtown tomorrow for work. No error codes on the scan, so no clue what’s up. 2014 Mazda6 Touring. Any help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
18,272 Posts
Hey @blackonblack6 - Sorry, for some reason the forum wanted me to approve this thread first. Free bump for your troubles.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
I bought this SRI on Amazon: High Performance Parts Short Ram... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VR6FK34?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I had it installed by my mechanic of over 10 years - I don’t attribute this issue to neither the mechanic nor the part maker. Ever since the intake was swapped, if I try to idle the car or come to a complete stop at a light, it just shuts the engine off and only battery runs. Driving at 30 mph or below is atrocious with the constant misfire. We followed the instructions for resetting the battery as provided in the instructions. I have DrTuned tuning kit on the way, but I need to figure this out before I jump into that. Any idea what the problem might be? Did I not reset the ECU correctly? Is the ecu relearning? BTW, I just ordered the Corksport 2014 Non-Turbo 2.5 SRI. I hope that fixes the problem, but I’d send someone $100 on venmo at this point to guide me how to resolve this before I have to drive downtown tomorrow for work. No error codes on the scan, so no clue what’s up. 2014 Mazda6 Touring. Any help is appreciated.
Um... based on that paragraph, you might be better off to stop effing with your car cause you dont know what youre messing with or messing up. And dont let that mechanic touch your car again.

To fix this, you need to put the stock aribox back on and stop wasting money on overpriced CS parts. This is a known issue, a lot of aftermarket pipes are too big, so the MAF cant accurately count the air properly and the O2 sensor sees the lean condition and the ECU start freaking out trying to fix it.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Grand Touring
62 Posts
New intake with basically no R&D in its design, poor quality, filter is far too close to the MAF in my opinion, probably a crappy quality filter, and probably nothing to stabilize the flow of air and remove the turbulence before passing over the MAF resulting in extremely erratic MAF readings. Looks like you probably have a big vacuum leak too. Buy a properly sized honeycomb airflow straightener from Treadstone Performance and a quality air intake like a AEM unit instead of that amazon garbage. Most of Corksport's stuff is re-branded stuff last I remember checking so its basically almost the same as all the other entry level stuff you find on amazon and fleabay. Buy right or buy twice.

The intake isn't even close to the right size. Look, he put your factory accordion over the coupler for the crap intake to make it work because the intake coupler probably didn't fit correctly into the throttle body.. or he didn't even take that off to check and see if the silicone coupler from the amazon intake fit the throttle body. Or he has no idea what he is doing and probably needs help putting his pants on the right way getting ready every morning..

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Remove it and put the stock airbox and filter back on. Fire your "mechanic" who knows nothing about these engines. There is no material airflow restriction on the factory system and thus you can't improve upon it performance-wise, but that "air filter" on what you bought will likely ruin your engine the first time you get into any sort of dusty conditions.

These engines will not run at all or run VERY poorly if they don't like the MAF values they're getting. A screwed MAF reading can actually prevent a START on these engines, which is extremely unusual. That is probably why you're having the issues you are running into.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have ran a CS short ram in the past and it worked perfectly fine without issue other than little acceleration hiccups here and there. I also had a OV tune that smoothed it out more. This is all in the past though, I have since went back to stock tune and intake for about 4 years now, as it may or may not have hurt the engine doing so. Engine still runs strong other than what sounds like a light knock that has been around for 4 years now, seemingly getting worse VERY slowly. All the problems my 6 had was always caused by something aftermarket.

However, I did have the car do the same thing you mentioned about a month ago with stock intake and all, the car would stall going to a stop. I noticed when I went into manual mode that the car did not downshift past 3 gear slowing to a stop and stall itself, I was able save it dying by downshifting myself. I feared it was a trans problem but it didn't have a trans light but it did throw the engine light for bank 1 rich. I left it alone for a week as I was too busy to deal with it and just drove my other car. weekend comes, I attempted to drive it again and this time it died as soon as it turned over, only way it ran was giving it throttle, smelled rich as hell, died as soon as I let go of the gas pedal. Plugged in a OBD reader and it threw a bunch of MAF codes this time. long story short the MAF failed. I stole the MAF off my parents CX5 (identical drive train) and car ran like new again. not saying this is your problem, but the MAF being out of wack rendered the car completely undriveable.

If you still haven't fixed it its probably the sketchy no brand intake. If you try the stock airbox and its still bad could be the MAF sensor going bad or damaged. If you installed the CS intake and it worked, great, your car, your choice. I did like the louder intake noise. but other than that it doesn't add power unless you tune the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts