Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased my 6S (glacier silver, sport package, bose audio package) and was wondering if anyone had any information regarding the release of aftermarket performance parts for the 6. i have found lowering springs, but thats about it. is there any cold air intake systems or turbo/superchargers for the 6 yet? if so, please direct me to their website. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: aftermarket performance parts for 6S

Serach the site :D
There is tons of info on this around here. Start by looking in the Duratec Performance part of the forum.

And please add yor location in your profile :) You do this my clicking the myhome link in the blue bar under the Duratec Add.

Cheers!

·
Registered
229 Posts

I have seen Greddy put together a turbo kit on the 6i. It looks good and simple. But that's on the 6i.

·
Registered
78 Posts

6s has headers,intake avalible rite now more coming soon...i should have an safc up and running and i'll let everyone in on how to wire it up

·
Registered
68 Posts

If someone can answer that for me I don't understand.

1) if redesigning some headers can improve performance, why isn't it standard if it is that easy? Does mazda put a limitation on themselves? if so, why?

2) why isn't it legal to add 20 or 30HP by using different headers, or cold intake. I understand about the CAT (gas emmission and all); but why not other mods?

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

About the second question - I think that the §-people think that if you add more hp then a certain % of the stock ones, the brakes will fail and the other systems in the car will not keep up... You would then kill everyone that comes in your way...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'aftermarket performance parts for 6S'

Originally posted by kellis

1) if redesigning some headers can improve performance, why isn't it standard if it is that easy?  Does mazda put a limitation on themselves? if so, why?

2) why isn't it legal to add 20 or 30HP by using different headers, or cold intake. I understand about the CAT (gas emmission and all); but why not other mods?

Thank you.[/b]
From Bob Hall's

Speed Costs Money. How Fast do You Want to Go?

"Unlike an owner modifying his own car, the manufacturer will have to take into account the possibility that some nimrod will get in over their head with more power than they can safely handle and take a course deviation into the countryside. If this individual feels so inclined, he could call any attorney running ads between infomercials at 3:30 in the morning and decide to go after the deep pockets car maker. The guy who bolted on the instant 50hp forced induction kit doesn't have to worry about suing himself unless he's completely schizophrenic.

There's also the emissions minefield manufacturers get to walk through which individuals can evade. A user may have to go through the agonies of unbolting everything when he has to run the car through an emissions test, but a car company wanting to actually certify something has to invest a lot of time (something between 150 and 200 days) and money to certify each powertrain combination. The costs of which get factored right into the car's price."

As for self-installed mods, you can do anything you want. It's your problem to get it by whatever local/state regs you have, if any.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

I completely disagree with the first point. HP sells. This is the manufacturers main motivation. Have you ever heard of someone suing because their car had too much HP from the factory? No.
Emissions, yes.

Substitute the first point with cost. Granted it costs less for a manufacturer to substitute headers than aftermarket does, but the penny pinchers decide how much HP they want out of a car versus how much it will cost in each vehicle to get to that cost. For example, the original Duratec design was 3.0 and had around 250HP N/A. Designers decided they didn't want to stretch or change the Contour's front for clearance, hence decreased the bore 2.5L (not sure, someone can confim the difference between the two if they like) to save on cost. Strap emissions equipment to it and it was only pushing 170HP. The Duratec now comes 3.0 with 219HP (with OR with out the S/VT) and we all know its capable of near 250HP N/A.

Mazda could make it go to 240HP to match the Accord, but then the price of the V6 option would be driven up to the same or more than the Accord. Is everyone still going to buy it? I say YES, YES, YEEESSS! But the decision makers disagree!

·
Registered
68 Posts

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

I completely disagree with the first point.  HP sells.  This is the manufacturers main motivation. Have you ever heard of someone suing because their car had too much HP from the factory? No.
Emissions, yes.  

Substitute the first point with cost.  Granted it costs less for a manufacturer to substitute headers than aftermarket does, but the penny pinchers decide how much HP they want out of a car versus how much it will cost in each vehicle to get to that cost. For example, the original Duratec design was 3.0 and had around 250HP N/A.  Designers decided they didn't want to stretch or change the Contour's front for clearance, hence decreased the bore 2.5L (not sure, someone can confim the difference between the two if they like) to save on cost.  Strap emissions equipment to it and it was only pushing 170HP. The Duratec now comes 3.0 with 219HP (with OR with out the S/VT) and we all know its capable of near 250HP N/A.

Mazda could make it go to 240HP to match the Accord, but then the price of the V6 option would be driven up to the same or more than the Accord.  Is everyone still going to buy it?  I say YES, YES, YEEESSS!  But the decision makers disagree![/b]
Why would it drive the cost higher?
It is just a matter of using different size/shape tubes after all (if talking about headers).
It's not that the material would cost more, same metal, different shape.
I don't get it.

·
Registered
37 Posts

I think you have to remember that any mass manufactured car is a complete compromise with everything..... whatever allows for the mosr profit margins wins... (at least in most cases)

·
Registered
79 Posts

Originally posted by kellis

1) if redesigning some headers can improve performance, why isn't it standard if it is that easy?  Does mazda put a limitation on themselves? if so, why?

Thank you.[/b]

1) Most likely a combination of cost and emissions - and maybe a bit of marketing. It's not as simple as just specifying a larger diameter exhaust manifold. The fact that new cars are full of compromises is what continues to drive the aftermarket. As for marketing, ever notice how some cars gain bits of horsepower from year to year? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some of the performance gains were known to engineers from day one, but each manufacturer wants to be able to talk about improvements as a model gets older.

2) It can be. Most reputable aftermarket manufacturers pursue exemptions for their products to make them legal to install in all 50 states. Some modifications are easier to make legal than others. I was with HKS when we first got our exemptions for what was called the Power Flow. It was one of the first, if not THE first, open-element air filter exempted by the CARB. We even got our EVC (electronic boost control) exempted for nearly any EFI turbo car newer than 1985-86, if I'm not mistaken. It takes time, money and knowledge to do it right. Street legal headers do exist for some cars. As for the 6, it will take an accumulation of time and interest before these parts are developed.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by GreenNuggs

Have you ever heard of someone suing because their car had too much HP from the factory?[/b]

Yes, many cases. Right after some dumbass wraps one around a telephone pole.

Mazda could make it go to 240HP to match the Accord, but then the price of the V6 option would be driven up to the same or more than the Accord.  Is everyone still going to buy it?  I say YES, YES, YEEESSS!  But the decision makers disagree![/b]
Could Honda put 270HP in the Accord? Why don't they?

·
Registered
128 Posts

Power/Price point.Thats why there isnt 270 in the Accord. They'd be competing w/ themselves(Acura). Im sure someone will say "no they'd be right there with Nissan." Thats why they have the Acuras, their power and price take over after the Accord LX V6. Least thats what I think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts