Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know how it is. In the dealer's office you get cheap and say "Nah, I'm not prepared to pay those 600$ extra for Xenon lights". And then, when the car arrives, you regret that you didn't pick those - up to the point where you almost go back to the dealer and trade the car in to get those extras...

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy these things later and add them yourself (or with the help of the dealer):

* Xenon lights (I think so, but my dealer mumbled that it could be expensive)
* DVD/Navigation

Also interesting is what other goodies might be available to make our cool cars even cooler (who needs an ACC in a Mazda6 anyway? It's the coolest car ever...)

/Steve

·
Registered
246 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Aftermarket parts'

Hi steve,

Steve 6er
Also interesting is what other goodies might be available to make our cool cars even cooler[/b]
You were interested in socalled 'goodies' for the 6, and I thought I can make this a bit more clear.. Well, I heard that Mazda in the Netherlands and in Germany were working on several bodykits, other alloys (over 17"!!) to compete with cars like the Alfa 156GTA, Mondeo ST220 etc.
So there will come some bodykits you can buy at your Mazda-dealer (at least in Holland and Germany :) )
And about the Xenon and DVD-nav., I think it's the best idea to buy it if you want it, because things always look better when they're original instead of putting it onto your car when you found out you do want to have this stuff...

Let's hear your reaction about this

Coen

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Originally posted by OppenheimeR
You were interested in socalled 'goodies' for the 6, and I thought I can make this a bit more clear.. Well, I heard that Mazda in the Netherlands and in Germany were working on several bodykits, other alloys (over 17"!!) to compete with cars like the Alfa 156GTA, Mondeo ST220 etc.
So there will come some bodykits you can buy at your Mazda-dealer (at least in Holland and Germany :) )
And about the Xenon and DVD-nav., I think it's the best idea to buy it if you want it, because things always look better when they're original instead of putting it onto your car when you found out you do want to have this stuff...

Let's hear your reaction about this

Coen[/b]

Bodykits are cool. But personally I'm not so sure I want them. Bigger alloys - well, bring'em on!

I also believe that the best thing is to buy what you want directly. But my interest is in whether it's possible or not to put the stuff in later for those who regret they didn't buy it in the first place...or to those who in a year or two buy a second-hand Mazda6 and wish to upgrade them.

/Steve

·
Registered
246 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

I also believe that the best thing is to buy what you want directly. But my interest is in whether it's possible or not to put the stuff in later for those who regret they didn't buy it in the first place...or to those who in a year or two buy a second-hand Mazda6 and wish to upgrade them.

/Steve[/b]
Hmm, I'm not sure about what I'm going to say now, but I guess it willl be possible to 'upgrade' a 6 (why not? ;) ). Because we've(my dad) upgraded our 626 with a navigationsystem, it would be a bit odd to find out this is not possible to do with a newer car..
But to put Xenon-headlights onto a car who doesn't have these lights standard, I guess this is much harder to do, and quite pricey too :( .. Japanese carparts are always very expensive (more than other). We found this out when our airconditioning was broken; we had to pay more for some single parts than we did for the whole system when we bought this car :( .. But stay happy with the thought that normally nothing gets broken caus' Japanese cars are very, very reliable :) ;) :)

Coen

Ps. maybe DuratecPerformance knows about the Xenonlights

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'm thinking it might be a bit of a hazzle to put in the nav kit, since it's integrated with the dash. But who knows?

You're probably right about the xenon lights...

/Steve

·
Registered
21 Posts

i think Alpine or some other such brand makes aftermarket navigation units. if i recall correctly, it requires two decks worth of space. one deck is for the dvd-drive/navigation mechanisms, and the other deck houses a screen which rolls out and folds upward for viewing. someone correct me if i'm wrong

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Originally posted by pneutin

i think Alpine or some other such brand makes aftermarket navigation units.  if i recall correctly, it requires two decks worth of space.  one deck is for the dvd-drive/navigation mechanisms, and the other deck houses a screen which rolls out and folds upward for viewing.  someone correct me if i'm wrong[/b]
There are several such kits, including some I could use with my hand-PC, but that still does not answer my question: if you could put in the "real thing" afterwards...

But thanks for answering!!

·
Registered
48 Posts

Yes, we've got bodykits. The bumpers called Aero bumper. And I think it is this one

You can buy chroomparts on the outside, different kind of colors in the interior, like for the steeringwheel and more of those thinks

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally posted by MattFast

Yes, we've got bodykits. The bumpers called Aero bumper. And I think it is this one

You can buy chroomparts on the outside, different kind of colors in the interior, like for the steeringwheel and more of those thinks[/b]
To me it looks like this car uses the standard bumper and has no body kit. (Especially the sides look very clean to me). Also, it looks just like the demo cars I've been looking at (even the touring).

/Steve

·
Registered
48 Posts

To me it looks like this car uses the standard bumper and has no body kit. (Especially the sides look very clean to me). Also, it looks just like the demo cars I've been looking at (even the touring).[/b]
Thats not the standard bumper.

Photo1: standard bumper
Photo2: the one on the Atenza 3.0 V6; not for Europe
Photo3: that must be the Aero-bumper.

The 6 is now almost 2 months for sale here, and they all have the standard bumper. Also the Active

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Originally posted by MattFast

To me it looks like this car uses the standard bumper and has no body kit. (Especially the sides look very clean to me). Also, it looks just like the demo cars I've been looking at (even the touring).[/b]
Thats not the standard bumper.

Photo1: standard bumper
Photo2: the one on the Atenza 3.0 V6; not for Europe
Photo3: that must be the Aero-bumper.

The 6 is now almost 2 months for sale here, and they all have the standard bumper. Also the Active[/b][/quote]

You're probably right. But the changes from the standard bumper are very discrete...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Discrete is good. I had to look twice to see any difference though. :hoho I'm glad that Mazda is being very subtle with the differences. Very tasteful!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I would like to awaken this thread again. Anyone now knows if it will be possible to put in the NAV as an aftermarket part?

Any of you Japanese guys know?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

It shouldn't be that hard? I think it will be mighty expensive though.

1. I think the standard nav system will be more expensive to buy separatly.
2. The installation cost will be very very high, as the entire dash probably have to be removed.

Do they need som sort of antenna? Not the "radio" kind of course, but it could be expensive if you say have to remove the inner roof to mount some kind of wire antenna... But I guess it usese the same size of antenna as the handheld units..

Remember that you alsa probalby have to change the plastic part around the gear-stick, as I suppose that the little "hole" that you put the remote in isn't comaptible with the storage hole in the non-nav cars... Or if that hola is just a snap-in module?

I'm 100% of that the display unit in it self is a simple snap-in unit. Remove the little storgae bay and smack that baby right in there... But then? Is the DVD integrated in the display, or does that have to be mounted somewhere else in the car? Is the nav system connected to the car in any other way then a power connector?

If not, the you might not even have to dis-assable the dash... Just lift the storage thing out, connect the power to a jack allready mounted underneath and snap the nav in... :)

But you problably still have to pay more money for it separatly.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

It problaby have some of data connectin to the car, as it's unable to operate under movement, it would need some input on that the car is moving... Or maybe it's som integrated gyro or something?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yes, there would be several things that must be exchanged - the display in the non-NAV cars has completely different buttons - for one thing.

I don't think it would be too difficult to have this as an aftermarket part if only the car was designed with that in mind from the beginning. If not, then it's not something worth recommending.

Still curious though if someone can bring this from speculation into hard facts.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Let me contribute to this topic the fact that the DVD unit is mounted up inside the glove compartment.

Peter

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Oh...anyone has any pics of this?

Would be fun to see how that is done. Thanks for the input, Peter!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts