Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Reading Topic: aftermarket navigation system on US 6...

It's been done in the Mazda showcar, but that was with a completely custom, fibreglassed dash. I'm sure a screen in the center storage area is quite doable though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'aftermarket navigation system on US 6...'

Originally posted by chaochi

here's what i did to my 6,  
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/serenity3029/ls...+atenza&.view=t[/b]
That looks nice. What is the size of that screen? Is that alpine? May I ask how much total (part and labor) did you spend on your navigator system?? I want to see if it's worth the money. Thanks

·
Registered
980 Posts

Can it play DVD movies and can it be hooked up to an external source for example a videogame system?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Here is my GPS navigation.
Alpine NVE-N851A dvd navigation system is in trunk and TME-M750A monitor is on the dashboard tray. Both are the discontinued models I moved from my previous car.
I can manually stow the monitor in and close the lid.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

Did you do the installation yourself? If so, post any pics on how to do it? Or how much it cost for you to have someone else do it? Let me know!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yeah, how much is it for installation? I'm thinking about buying a used one on ebay. If you did the installation yourself, can you help a Mazda6 fellow out? hehehe :) I really like the kenwood touch screen one.

Edit: Sorry for multiple posting. I had some problem with internet. Hit the button too many times. Can someone deletes those extra posts? Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts

Yes, I did by myself but I'm sorry I did not take any pics.

Here's a procedure.
1. Unscrew the shift-knob, and remove the ashtray.

2. Remove the small tray underneath the parking-brake first. You can just pull it up. The panel is attached to the "shift-gate panel" with two hooks. You should use a flathead screw driver to push hooks to detach panels. (See the red arrow on the pic)

3. Remove the shift-gate panel. Be aware that cigar lighter and ash tray light cables.

4. Remove the glove box. Unscrew the bolt holding the audio unit. You need an 11mm socket with an extension.

5. Unscrew two bolts at the bottom of center panel and pull the center panel out.

6. Detach connectors.

7. Unscrew two bolts at the bottom of upper tray and you can remove the tray.

8. If you want wiring the monitor cable from the back you need to make a hole on the back of tray.

9. Use Scotchlock connectors to split wires. I used No. 9 wire for the backup power and No. 19 wire for the speed pulse from the connector on pic and cigar lighter wire for the power, ashtray light wire for dimmer. Also, I took the back up information from the rear combination lights (Red/Yellow wire).

Tips:
Since I want to operate the system while the parking brake is released I grounded the parking brake sensor wire.
DVD Navigation itself is hung next to the sub-woofer in trunk. It was easy to drill holes on metal plate.
Another wiring unit is underneath the passenger’s seat.

That's it. Please do your installation at your own risk. If you're not familiar with electric wiring or vehicle structure have a professional to do installation. Enjoy!

·
Registered
17 Posts

btw, i think we should move this topic to "In Car Electronics" section.
who is in charge of moving???

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

So my question is... Is it just the screen? So you didnt have to make any holes into the top compartment to fit anything else? I am very interested in getting this done as it looks really cool and you did a great job btw!

·
Registered
683 Posts

Im guessing the unit you have has an internal amp? How is it connected to the speakers in the car? do you have to have the stock system on to hear the DVD nav? Im curious because this might be a way for me to hook up my Empeg Head Unit without messing with the dash, but the Empeg does not have any internal amplification...it needs an external amp.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'aftermarket navigation system on US 6...'

True. But when you get down to it, at least for me how useless is a DVD player & surround sound in a car? Quite.

Minivan with kids, OK. But in the front seat of a 6? It's mostly money down the drain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'aftermarket navigation system on US 6...'

Absolut,
Yup, just a monitor in the upper tray. but I made a small hole for monitor cable on it.

Fuzzbear,
A small speaker and an IR receiver for remote control are built into the monitor. The system is independent from the stock audio.
If you have the Alpine audio system you can integrate the nav and audio system.

Chindo,
Mine does not have a DVD player function but expandable for up to two external sourses. Recent models do play DVDs.

Ruefus,
It's just a toy when I purchased, but I can't drive without it anymore.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts