Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Newbie here. I pick up my new MazdaSpeed6 on Monday!

The one option car does not have is the factory Nav. At the same time, I am wondering if one of the aftermarket units (Nuvi, ToTom, etc.) would fit in that bin on the dash. I am thinking if I then hardwired power to it I would have a semi-permanent install.

Has anyone done this? What models fit in the Bin and still allow it to close? Pics of install would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Hi All,

Newbie here. I pick up my new MazdaSpeed6 on Monday!

The one option car does not have is the factory Nav. At the same time, I am wondering if one of the aftermarket units (Nuvi, ToTom, etc.) would fit in that bin on the dash. I am thinking if I then hardwired power to it I would have a semi-permanent install.

Has anyone done this? What models fit in the Bin and still allow it to close? Pics of install would be great.

Thanks
[/b]
There are a few members that have the TOMTOM. Couldn't tell ya abou tthe hardwiring though. I really do not thing it would be hard what so ever. Sauder (spelled wrong. sorry) it direclty in to the cigarette lighter or something. I don't know.

You could also go with the lilliput 7" screen and a carputer as well.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
However, a carputer would be rediculously expensive, and to find all the software to make it run smoothly is a bit of a PITA.

Suppose the boot time for Windows is like 1min on a laptop. You wouldn't be able to use it until it's fully booted up, and ready. Then, you have to load the Carputer interface, then the navi program. Also, the navi program wouldn't be as efficient as a standalone GPS system.

IMO, unless you custom-program everything, including your own OS w/ a GUI, it's just not gonna be as efficient.

My 0.02

I was considering a carputer interface for quite some time, but it's just gonna wind up being way too expensive. So, I've decided on going for a semi-permanent GPS screen. My guess is you could kinda make a little mount in the center pocket (the one above the radio), and run the wires down to the cig lighter. Of course, you also have to remember that some GPS systems requre you to plug it into your PC in order to update it, and load maps, so, a removable installation would be absolutely necessary. Just as well, heat isn't such a good friend of electronics, especially LCD's, so it'd have to be removed on hot days.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are a few members that have the TOMTOM. Couldn't tell ya abou tthe hardwiring though. [/b]
WHat are the dimensions of the bin.

FInally did find some froum messages showing Tom-Tom and some others in Map pocket with no problem.

In lieu of 7" screen and seperate GPS hardware, I am wondering about the Garmin StreetPilot 7200 with a 7" screen.
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp7200/

Dimensions are 7.5”W x 4.5”H x 2.2”D

If that would fit the size and color would look great in the bin. Anyone know if it would make it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
You shouldnt have any problems at all getting a portable navi in the map pocket. From what ive read other members have gotten 7in screens in there so a portable navi will fit with ease.
--Shadd

·
Registered
81 Posts
you can fit a tom tom in there no problem. i was going to go that route after my friend got one. we set it up in my car to see if work or not in that location, and i had no problem. after though i decided to go with the n3 instead and had that custom installed. i wanted my sirius hardwired in, along with control for the ipod so those were also big selling factors to go with the n3 instead. so far no complaints :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
However, a carputer would be rediculously expensive, and to find all the software to make it run smoothly is a bit of a PITA.

Suppose the boot time for Windows is like 1min on a laptop. You wouldn't be able to use it until it's fully booted up, and ready. Then, you have to load the Carputer interface, then the navi program. Also, the navi program wouldn't be as efficient as a standalone GPS system.

IMO, unless you custom-program everything, including your own OS w/ a GUI, it's just not gonna be as efficient.

My 0.02

I was considering a carputer interface for quite some time, but it's just gonna wind up being way too expensive. So, I've decided on going for a semi-permanent GPS screen. My guess is you could kinda make a little mount in the center pocket (the one above the radio), and run the wires down to the cig lighter. Of course, you also have to remember that some GPS systems requre you to plug it into your PC in order to update it, and load maps, so, a removable installation would be absolutely necessary. Just as well, heat isn't such a good friend of electronics, especially LCD's, so it'd have to be removed on hot days.
[/b]

Well I dont know how much research you have done, but I have had a few car pc and macs in my cars.

I have built a fully functioning, boot to interface carpc for like $800 and I used some good parts that I could have skimpped on. Also if you know what you are doing it can go from turning the key to fully running and usable in about 20 seconds. I best time I ever got was about 18 seconds from cold boot.

try do some searching on http://www.mp3car.com this is the bible of car pc sites IMHO.

a desktop would be good, to run GPS on, throw it in the trunk hook it to a monitor in the dash or map pocket and you are golden. Its not the hard to do, trust me!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I too am sometimes debating whether to put in a carputer with the motorized map compartment lid or buy a dedicated gps unit.

If you want to make your own nice motorized screen in the map compartment with a lilliput 7" display, go here:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=58757

But if you think about it, what would you want to use your carputer for?

1 Navigation
2 Points of interest, restaurants
3 Address book, contacts
4 MP3 Music -> check
5 Car diagnotics -> ie. via OBDII connector & software
6 DVD -> nice to have, but think about it, this is a bad idea and not really useful
7 ???

You could put in your own PC and accomplish all of this... or just buy a dedicated unit like this:
http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi/

And get all of the above but no DVD or car diagnostics... but at least its portable and you can take it anywhere.

Good thing is you get extra stuff like audio books, slideshow, calculator, dictionary, etc, etc.

But thing that sucks is a) it doesn't have the 'stock' look and feel like a motorized map pocket and b) screen isn't as nice as a big 7" lilliput.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Far as boot times.....I know it took my carputer under 30 seconds to come up.

I think i carputer is better than a standalone gps system because u can do hell alot more

1 - 9 of 9 Posts