Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Mazda6 Touring
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone rocking aftermarket lowbeam LEDs for their gen 3 Mazda6? I'm running some H11B HIDs currently in 5000K. I wasn't sure if there are any reliable aftermarket LED setups available in 5000K temp color range as most LEDs give off a 6000K look. I wouldn't mind them still but I just want to avoid something melting or failing in the OEM headlights.

·
Registered
2017 Mazda6 Touring
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no low beam, its one bulb. Unless youre talking about a non GT with dual incandescent bulbs, then the general consensus (if you had searched) is Cougar or DDMTuning is the best.
Not sure if I'm using the search function correctly (even with filters) because I'm always finding similar topics for anything but in literally every sub section of this forum (all generations if the Mazda6). I appreciate the options you provided. I haven't seen any run LEDs in the low beams in Sport or Touring models so I figured I'd ask. Plus, I had to run an H11B bulb instead of a regular H11 to not get the shadow in projection from the electrode.

·
Registered
2016 6
503 Posts
I used the same Cougar motor leds for my low beams and my high beams on my 16 6. They/re some of the brightest headlights on the road and they've been installed for a lil bit over a year at this point.

·
Registered
2017 Mazda6 Touring
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used the same Cougar motor leds for my low beams and my high beams on my 16 6. They/re some of the brightest headlights on the road and they've been installed for a lil bit over a year at this point.
How's the pattern with the LEDs? I always appreciate HID bulbs because fully utilize the projector housing and not sure if plug n play low beam LED kits work correctly in projectors. I've seen some kits on different projectors where the hot spot in the center is bright bit but lost light on the left and right. Almost as if your field of view got smaller but the areas where there are light is brighter.

·
Registered
2016 6
503 Posts
How's the pattern with the LEDs? I always appreciate HID bulbs because fully utilize the projector housing and not sure if plug n play low beam LED kits work correctly in projectors. I've seen some kits on different projectors where the hot spot in the center is bright bit but lost light on the left and right. Almost as if your field of view got smaller but the areas where there are light is brighter.
So what I’ll tell you from the start is our Mazda 6s headlight fov is terrible to begin with and you can’t really expand it. But the cougar motor leds are super simple plug and play, like just straight into the oe connector without any issues and they’re great cuz they’re $40 a pair and you can use them on the low and high beams which is definitely worth it.the mirroring affect in the headlight housings seem to work really well with them. I’ve bought the $200 kits before and they’re not worth the cost or the headache, and so far these have lasted a decent amount of time and I see no change in brightness.

·
Registered
2016 6
503 Posts
Car Speedometer Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
Car Speedometer Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

First picture is just low beams and second picture is with high beams. I also have morimoto led fog lights but in retrospect I kinda wish I just got the regular halogen fogs and then swapped in leds.

·
Registered
2017 Mazda6 Touring
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 244898 View attachment 244899

First picture is just low beams and second picture is with high beams. I also have morimoto led fog lights but in retrospect I kinda wish I just got the regular halogen fogs and then swapped in leds.
Hey thanks for the info and pictures. Did you have to clock your LEDs in the housing? I wasn't going to attempt to replace my highbeams since my Touring trim uses them as DRLs on low power so I just assumed most LEDs would flicker and cause issues.

·
Registered
2016 6
503 Posts
Hey thanks for the info and pictures. Did you have to clock your LEDs in the housing? I wasn't going to attempt to replace my highbeams since my Touring trim uses them as DRLs on low power so I just assumed most LEDs would flicker and cause issues.
So I do think the direction of which the bulbs goes in matters but you’ll just have to try it with whichever bulbs you go with and see how they look. As for the high beams, I did lose the drl function but if you ask me I like it better without them lol. You may be able to find a dual filament led that can do both but i really don’t know.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
You can get a "decoder" that lowers voltage so they dont flicker, but im with Trollz for a couple reasons. These days too many effing dumbasses cant tell their headlights ARENT on cause of DRL's, and DRL's dont make your car any more noticeable, and anything that distracts your eyes from being in front of your car can lead to problems.

Since my car came with LED's, they were single bulb, but ran at a lower percentage for DRL's, so people could never tell if i was flashing them, or trying to get their attention by turning them on/off and also i didnt want to blind my neighbor pulling into my old driveway, so when i found out i could turn them off, i did.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Touring
71 Posts
I used Sealight LED's from Amazon and they have been good for me so far. I replaced the low and high beam blubs. I also needed this, decoder, to make sure that the LED DRL worked.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,097 Posts
You can get a "decoder" that lowers voltage so they dont flicker, but im with Trollz for a couple reasons. These days too many effing dumbasses cant tell their headlights ARENT on cause of DRL's, and DRL's dont make your car any more noticeable, and anything that distracts your eyes from being in front of your car can lead to problems.
The decoder is a functional little device.
As far as effectiveness, DRL's lower fatal accidents by around 5% (1) and that equates to about 2000 fewer deaths a year Now that used to mean something but these days we loose about 2500 unvaccinated people to SARS-CoV-2 daily so... 🤷‍♂️
Daytime running lights lower the number of accidents (non-fatal) by about the same percentage (2) and that means around 220,000 injury accidents a year. That has a massive cost in terms of misery and capital. The numbers don't support the claim of negated visibility.
I have personally observed a much larger anecdotal relationship to electroluminescent gauges, and failure to turn on headlights, as opposed to DRL's being implicated in driving stealth.

Since my car came with LED's, they were single bulb, but ran at a lower percentage for DRL's, so people could never tell if i was flashing them, or trying to get their attention by turning them on/off and also i didnt want to blind my neighbor pulling into my old driveway, so when i found out i could turn them off, i did.
See here, anyone who says your are not a sensitive caring guy just doesn't have a leg to stand on (or cookies). That's super thoughtful of you Talon.

·
Registered
2014 Sport NAV - Jet Black Diesel MT6
789 Posts
I had a 1995 Saab 900 convertible back in the day ad that had DRL. DRL (daytime running light) used to be that your headlights (dipped beam) were on as soon as you started the car.

@crazy_raccoon The HIDs are also 1 bulb for both low and high beam

·
Registered
2017 Mazda6 Touring
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had a 1995 Saab 900 convertible back in the day ad that had DRL. DRL (daytime running light) used to be that your headlights (dipped beam) were on as soon as you started the car.

@crazy_raccoon The HIDs are also 1 bulb for both low and high beam
They are not one bulb on my 2017 Touring. H11B for my lowbeams and 9005 highbeam.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Grille

·
Registered
2014 Sport NAV - Jet Black Diesel MT6
789 Posts
I take it you don’t have factory HIDs then. They have one bulb for low and high beam.

9005 & H11 sound like the bulbs used in the non halogen headlight units.

·
Registered
2017 Mazda6 Touring
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats cause you have a Sport or at least non Tech Pack/GT trim.
I know. I've been using a plug and play HID kit for several years now. Just wanted to confirm if there are LED kits that will utilize the projector housing correctly.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I know. I've been using a plug and play HID kit for several years now. Just wanted to confirm if there are LED kits that will utilize the projector housing correctly.
A bulb format is a bulb format all day long. But, if you get a bulb that looks like a Phillips/Osram youre good.
Yes, its a bike, but its my site and well, id rather not type a shit ton of duplicate words :) Lights - FAQ's (furyowners.club)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts