Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a pair of aftermarket headlights with LED's and Halo's. They look great but have a few questions before I install them on the car. I redid some of the wiring as some of the wires were very short. On the aftermarket light there is a small clip with 3 small wires blue, black, grey in the area for the low beams aside from the larger blue and black wires for low beam bulb. I dont know what this clip is for and it seems to have nothing to do with the high beams, low beams, LED's or Halo's. There is a set of red and black wires coming out the bottom for the halo's and the LED's work with just hooking the main harness to the new headlight. Any ideas? Also, my car has stock fogs in the lower part of the bumper and the new headlights have integrated fogs which I cannot figure out how to get them to work (not the 3 wires that i dont know what they are for, integrated fogs have a brownish and black wire) I have pictures of the wires I am referring to and where they are on the clip (the 3 wires are on the white clip on the main harness to the headlight). Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess no one else knows what they go to either. As far as the integrated fogs, they are wired to the main clip but I cant seem to find out how to get them to work, would it hurt anything if I just ran a wire from the stock fogs up to the integrated fogs without cutting them from the main clip?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Wondering if the mystery wires are for the stock leveling motor attachment from an hid equipped vehicle. These wires wouldn't be used on a non hid car.

To get the integrated fogs to work, I would tap into the stock lower fog location and run the wires either into the headlight, or if you know which wires on the harness to use, wire them into there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I think 06+ gts has hids from the factory. Not sure on the self leveling.

Sent from a Samsung that doesn't explode.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Pretty sure all factory HID equipped vehicles are required to have a self-leveling system.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Pretty sure all factory HID equipped vehicles are required to have a self-leveling system.
+1 yep required by law to have a leveling motor. My 04 Infiniti fx35 has a manual adjustment on the dash..levels 1-3 to lower or raise the headlights... But there is a motor there to adjust the level just not self leveling.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
674 Posts
This past holiday, I was reminded of the reason for leveling motors in HID equipped vehicles...

We drove to see my family on the East Coast. With the trunk full of gifts and all my wife's crap, my headlights were much higher up than usual. Luckily for on-coming traffic, I only have the standard 55 watt H-11 bulbs and we mostly drove during the day.

This is probably the reason stock incandescent lights seem to be aimed so low from the factory. They're anticipating that fully loaded configuration. Its not optimal at either extreme.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got everything working. Didnt touch the wires that I was originally asking about. The new lights look much better than my hazed stock ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hmm... I went to the website, but they don't show any for my son's '07. The description says '03 to '06. Anybody know why they wouldn't have them for an '07 or if these would still work on our '07 6i hatch?

Heartshaped,
Were these lights already aimed correctly? Also, other than them looking good, do these lights illuminate well? BTW, I think that clip you asked about may be just a splice. One of those wires may go back to ground.

The previous teen owner of our car modified a set of TYCs trying to put halos in them, but they were unsuccessful and basically ruined the headlights' ability to be aimed correctly (or it could be that they're just typical crappy TYCs). I assumed the former and, last year, money was tight, so I ordered a new TYC left headlight through Amazon... it was DOA. After all that effort to install them, I even had to pay shipping to get their junk back to them for my refund. Instead of buying another one, I ended up figuring out how to repair my left headlight instead, but the running light on that side still doesn't work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine were used but horribly aligned so I aligned them at work myself. They definitely illuminate the road ahead much better than my stock ones did but my stock ones were extremely hazed and I also have the Sylvania Ultra bulbs which make them brighter. As far as fitment on an '07 6i I personally dont see why they wont fit. As far as I know the headlights on the 06 and the 07 are the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
8 Participants
HeartShapedNoose
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing