Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Reading Topic: Aftermarket fake wood or carbon fiber interior

how the hell are you expected to buy something you've never seen?

no pix. ha, i laugh in your general direction (said with a french accent).

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

There's a picture now on a similar auction.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I have seen pictures of the 6 with Mazdas own wood and it looks really really bad. If tha ugly wood isn't enough, all the buttons and stuff is still silver... Yuk!

·
Registered
212 Posts

The stick-on dash kits suck. I got a carbon fiber one for my Mustang a few years ago and ended up taking it off (which is a PITA) after a while. It just doesn't look good. ANyone considering this - learn from my mistakes and skit this item. The interior of the Mazda 6 is nice enough already :D

·
Registered
657 Posts

Yeah, I had a 3M wood kit that the dealership put on in my Nissan, and not only did it start to come off, but it yellowed and the laquer peeled off the wood, making it an ugly mess. Oh, and when you put on a sticker kit, you have to use an activator on the dash, which partially melts the dash to adhere to the wood. When you take it off, your dash looks like ass permanently.

The only kit I'd do on the 6 is a real brushed aluminum kit, but I frankly don't think it's neccessary.

·
Registered
205 Posts

I'll go with ENTROPISM on the brushed aluminum kit for my 6 as well...I think it'll make the interior stand out more with my black interior.. I used to have a '99 Honda Accord which I totalled last month but anyways. I had a real carbon fiber kit on it for about 2 years and it was great.. The installation was easy. The only thing you have to do honestly to keep it from peeling and not looking like ass is stay on top of it and keep it clean and take care of it. But yeah. if you decide in taking off the dash kit, your interior factory dash parts are permenantly scared from the 3M applicator you have to put on the glue on the 3M pieces.. IMO I'd still get a dash kit

·
Registered
657 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Aftermarket fake wood or carbon fiber interior'

If anyone wants a REAL aluminum (not that laminated tin foil crap); REAL wood, or RREAL Carbon, I found a place that has it for the 6:

Joshua Tree

I've seen the products in person, and I'll vouch for them (not that THAT means anything). If I was going to order a kit, this is where it'd be from. Oh, and if you wait till a major holiday, they usually have sales from 20-40% off their usual price.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Originally posted by Entropism

If anyone wants a REAL aluminum (not that laminated tin foil crap); REAL wood, or RREAL Carbon, I found a place that has it for the 6:

Joshua Tree

I've seen the products in person, and I'll vouch for them (not that THAT means anything).  If I was going to order a kit, this is where it'd be from.  Oh, and if you wait till a major holiday, they usually have sales from 20-40% off their usual price.[/b]
HEY that's where I got my dash kit from.. They are great and very trust worthy.. very great REAL carbon fiber also... that's where I'm probably gonna get the dash kit again from..:)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

Have either of you seen the blue and black carbon fiber? If so, how do you think it would look in a lapis blue 6 with black leather? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Hmmm... I'm not going to chime in on that question (OK too late, I already did with this post).... I'm not a huge fan of the carbon fibre look, but if I HAD to do carbon, I'd go either black or sliver/silver. To me, the red/black, blue/black, and yellow/black cheapens the car. Again though, thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Q. Does anyone know if the brushed alluminium kits from Johusa Tree replace the existing plastic trim piecies?, or simply stick over the top. It appears from their web site that they stick on with 3M tape?

Cheers

·
Registered
657 Posts

They stick on with an activator/glue, not tape. It's a permanent bond, partially melting your dash, and bonding chemically to the plastic.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Yeah, what Entropism said. When I removed the stick-on kit from my Mustang, it left marks in many places. I rubbed it with mineral spirit and then used Armor All on those spots and it helped quite a bit, although in some spots there is permanent damage to the plastic.

I'll say it again: Learn from my mistake and do NOT get a stick on dash kit. It looks cheap, it is obvious that it was not original part of the car and you do get sick of it. And you really cannot remove it without permanent damage to your dash. Trust me, you'll save yourself time, money and aggravation.

·
Registered
205 Posts

CzechMate does have a point about making the right choice on dash kits.. I actually had a yellow carbon fiber kit on my 99 Accord and then got tired of it, so I took it off and it looked nasty, so I ordered another carbon fiber dash kit in green, this time to match my exterior green color.. I was fine with that and liked it.. It really doesn't look all that bad if you keep it in good shape. If you don't care and forget about it of course it'll look like shit.. As for me I take care of my car in and out so it was fine and no problems, until I totalled my 99 Accord Dec 27th, 2002... and now I have a 6... nice huh.. I'll try getting pics of the carbon fiber in yellow and in green from my 99 Accord on this forum. check back later. But again really make sure you like the color/design to not get sick of it and also take care of it while it's in the car to make it look it's best..

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

your right, a buddy of mine installed a stick on blue carbon fiber kit in his civic and it looked so fake and out of place. i would never buy one

·
Registered
980 Posts

The carbon fibre looks ugly and the fake wood one just looks out of place. Waste of money IMO.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Originally posted by chindo

The carbon fibre looks ugly and the fake wood one just looks out of place.  Waste of money IMO.[/b]
Carbon fiber does look ugly if it's FAKE.. meaning looks like it's painted on squares... If the carbon fiber is REAL, which you can see each individual fiber woven and threaded over on another to make that carbon fiber pattern look then that looks a lot better.. and really makes the interior of the car stand out.. but again you gottta keep it in tip top condition by taking care of it or else it'll look ugly....:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Aftermarket fake wood or carbon fiber interior

Is anyone making kits that don't stick on but actually replace the center console? If not, would it be possible? I would love real aluminum rather than the plastanium we have.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts