Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK everyone, I'm looking for reviews of brake pads that are OEM substitues (so not BBKs). If you have anything other than the OEM pads, please post how you feel about them. Be specific. I'm not looking for "they are good." Info on track/autox performance with the pads would be great info. I want to make a list of the various pad sets out there and post it all in an FAQ.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Note:
I am an MTX driver. I use my brakes to rapidly slow down, or to come to a complete stop. I do not use my brakes to maintain speed in traffic, nor do I use them for constant speed adjustments while driving. Any speed adjustment that isn't drastic is done through throttle modulation and downshifting.

As such I won't be posting on longevity, as I'm well over 30k miles on this set of pads, and they aren't even at the 80% mark. Keep in mind my comments about dust and noise as well.

Carbotech Bobcats:
http://www.liteswap.com/Merchant2/merchant..._Code=mazda6pad

Cost:
95 USD for fronts(or 150 USD with two new front rotors)
85 USD for rears

Installation:
OE Fitment. Some individuals have had trouble getting the pads to fit because of the excessive nipple size. This usually occurs if you don't pre-emptively press the caliper piston back prior to removing it.

Performance:
Excellent fade resistance on the street. Rear pads are sufficent for track use. Cold bite is good, and the pads (alongside with fresh fluid and lines) really help to establish good braking feel. Inital bite is clean, and becomes sharper and sharper the hotter the pads get (till they get saturated). Front pads are not sufficent for track use and you will experience brake fade.

Dust:
Less dust then stock pads. (About 40-50% less, depends on your braking style). The dust is also non corrosive to alloy wheels.

Noise:
If not installed and bedded properly, they will squeel. If everything is done right, you'll still get the occassional noise under light braking pressure, which is only audible if a car is next to you when stopping, and your windows are down.

Would buy again?:
Yes, these make excellent street pads. The rear pads are also sufficent enough for track use, though if you really get on it, they will start to fade. (Even in the relatively unused rear)

Carbotech XP9
http://www.liteswap.com/Merchant2/merchant..._Code=mazda6pad

Cost:
135 USD for fronts(or 179 USD with two new front rotors)

Installation:
Pads are insanely thick. You may need to use a dremel to slice off a bit of the nipples to wedge them in initally. This may have been changed as its been quite a long time since I purchased these.

Performance:
:drool: Want to stop? Use any brake pad. Want to stop repeatedly from 100+ mph? Get track pads. There just isn't any replacement for the bite these pads have when they are hot. They will make you think you just invested a few thousand dollars in a BBK. The first couple of times you stop, it isn't that impressive. After the pads reach operating temp...watch out, you'll give yourself and anyone in your car whiplash from the inital pedal response.

Poor Cold bite. These make poor winter brake pads. It almost feels as if your brakes are almost non functional the first time you try to stop on a 30F morning. Highly recommend moving to street or stock pads in the winter.

Fade resistance is excellent, but depending on how fast you are (not necessarily your car), it is still possible to oversaturate these on the track. If this happens, you'll want to either smack yourself for poor braking technique, or congratulate yourself on diving deep into the corners, then invest in the XP10's or 11's.

Dust:
At least 300-500% more dust then stock. You'll be lucky if you can make it to work without covering your wheels in dust.

Noise:
You know that annoyingly loud squeel that buses and garbage trucks make? Well now those drivers cover their ears when you come to a stop next to them. Loud is an understatement. If a simple rattle or "vibration" bothers you, stay a few thousand miles from these babies.

Would buy again?:
Yup. Except I'd probably go with XP10's and not run them on the street at all.

·
Registered
137 Posts
so, are these the creme-de-la-creme of what's out there??
I know I've seen craazy amounts of brake dust with the stock pads.

I may replace my rear pads now and the front in a few months... I have 2600 miles, freeway, in about five weeks. Been also hearing the rears clunk since day one. ((like they came from the foundry with a big hairline fracture down the middle))

regarding the squeeking or squeeling, wouldn't coating the pads with permetex anti-squeel 3 or four times over the course of a day or two prior to installation solve that issue? squeel hater.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grey Goose, just reading one review of one set of brake pads isn't enough to determine the best of the best. The purpose of this thread is to collect information that will be compiled in to an FAQ.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry Gremlyn, I'm just going to try the Hawke Pads from RPM, due to the product description, AND stay off this thread unless I actually know something, sorry again. :drive:

((feel free to delete my post(s) from this thread, as such, they add very little to the topic.))

·
Registered
10 Posts
How about opinions on cheap Aftermarket pads?
The cheapest I've found are dura-last Semi-Metalic for $30 (front pads) which I've heard outperform most OEM pads slightly, but also dust like crazy.

Also, I'm curious about carbotech pads, (and others), half the pads I've bought came in 4 packs, and the other half came in 2 packs. do the carbotech pads include 4 pads? Do duralast pads include 4?

I use my car for driving to work and back (trying to keep the mileage down so I can return it at the end of the warranty) so I don't need anything high-performance, just something to keep me from running into other cars and old ladies.

Reactions: mrlukeplease

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
HP Plus fronts, and HPS rears.

The HP fronts have about the same dusting as stock, maybe a little less. I painted the calipers and in one day the edges of them were dusty. They were placed on brand new rotors and seated properly, but about half the time they will have a high pitched squeak when you stop "normally." Every once in a while when they are real warm you will get a moan from them. And (like any brakes) if you run them hard you will get that "burning brakes" smell. Now the good... the stopping power is unbelievable. I ran them the exact same way I did with my stock pads, and I could not get them to fade. The stocks would fade after about 4 aggressive turns, and the Hawk HP Plus kept on rocking. On the petal the brakes are slightly more aggressive then the stocks, but easy to get use to. I changed to the super blue brake fluid as well to help matters. The rears have no noise and I am happy with those too. I am very satisfied with the performance, price, and overall drivability.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I do about 70% highway driving 30% city driving. My previous set of pads lasted about 52,000 miles. I drive a MTX, and do not use my brakes for speed adjustment, unless coming to a stop or heel/toeing in twisties. I do not AutoX (yet).

Carbotech Bobcat Front Brake Pads

cost: $109

performance:
for the first one or two stops in the morning, the brakes don't feel all that strong. This is readily apparrent in colder weather (especially in single digits). After warming up a little, the brakes feel firmer and more reassuring than the stock pads. Bite is progressive and predictable. Hard braking is where these pads are at their best. Light braking occaisonally produces a subtle squeak. They are more likely to squeak when cold.

Dust:
MAJOR reduction in dust output compared to OEM pads. Well worth the tradeoff for an occaisonal squeal.

Buy Again?
Yes. When my rear pads go, I will replace them with Carbotech Bobcats as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just got the Rotora ceramics front and back from RPM. Should be getting them in a week so I'll let you know how they are then.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Pads : HAWK High Performance Street Pads

Dust - at least 50% less than OEM.

Performance, I never tried the OEM pads on a track, so I can not really compare, but I drove 2 laps of the Nurburgring, 13 miles & 70 corners pers lap, with only a 2 minute break between laps (whilst I went through the barrier). Halfway round the second lap, the brakes started to really smell, you know, that burning brake smell. However, even though the car was full of 4 adults and braking from >100mph, there was no fade whatsoever.

I found that for normal street driving, the high pitched squeal can get annoying, I installed and bedded in the pads OK, but still occasionally get it when the pads are cold. I personally dont think they are quite as good as the OEM in winter and have switched back to the OEM`s until the snow and Ice goes.

Nige.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Bendix Titanium's. I have them on my SHO and my Contour. Great street pad. Very low dusting, noise free and excellent stopping power. Will be putting some on the 6 after I pick it up if dust is a big issue.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
nigel do you have the stock rotors still on their?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hawk HPS

I've had them for roughly 5,000 miles. Turned rotors when I did it and i've never had a bit of squealing. My tires are the weakest link as I have stock Michelins on. I can stop a whole hell of a lot harder but the tires eventually give out and the ABS will kick in if you just slam it down. Never suffered any fade but I don't race on a track. Dust is very minimal and I'd highly recommend them.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I find that if you JUST change the pads and dont machine the rotors or get new rotors with the hawks you will get squeaking... IF you change the rotors or machine them you shouldnt get any squeaking.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I find that if you JUST change the pads and dont machine the rotors or get new rotors with the hawks you will get squeaking... IF you change the rotors or machine them you shouldnt get any squeaking.
[/b]
You get SOME squeeling, but it will eventually go away on re-used, unmachined rotors. Thats what happened with me. One's best bet though is just to swap out the rotors at the same time. You are already saving big $$$ doing it yourself, you might as well put it towards new rotors and save time as well.

My confidence in the brake feel increased after I installed new rotors to go with the hawks.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Have Hawk HPS front and rear, very sure footed while braking, squealed after initial install then relubed everything properly and not a sqeal until some heavy driving and braking I got some at very very light braking as in light tap in a parking lot. Good Pads.

My Front shims are sliding off the pads!! maybe even rears, tom I will be replacing the fronts with Akebono Pro Act pads in the front tom, have heard nothing but good things at work and we put these pads on ALOT of cars at work.

Anyone else's shim start to slide off?

·
Registered
417 Posts
nigel do you have the stock rotors still on their?
[/b]
Hi,

As I only put them on for my trips to the Nurburgring, I keep the stock disks. I went to the track again last week and the pads were excelent. The initial deadness you feel on the road disappears when they warm up. Pedal feel and performance was brilliant.

Back to my stock pads now though, they are more progressive driving locally for me.

Nige

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had on rotora drilled/slotted (dimpled slotted) rotors front/rear and akebono pads front/rear for prob about 1,000 miles now...At first I noticed a lot of noise, sounded like I was taxiing the runway in a jumbo frickin' jet!! They aren't a noisy now and I feel very confident in their stopping ability.....As far as price goes I paid $54 for the rear and $68 for the fronts....I would definitely recommend akebono pads :)

1 - 20 of 136 Posts