Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering what aftermarket batteries people are using to power their car/system. Advanced and auto zone only sell standard 590CCA batteries and I need more juice. I drive a 2010 Mazda 6 2.5l 4cyl.

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
Awesome! I'm shopping for one online now!
Cool beans. You will need to slightly bend the top battery hold down in order to get it over the top of the DEKA battery. You need to for the yellow optima as well but the DEKA wont dent your hood like the optima can if it isnt positioned properly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
924 Posts
Thank you for all this information.

I'm in my fourth year with the OEM battery. I've got to think the end is near.

Everything seems fine, does the battery just not work one day? Is that how you know or does it slowly die, causing the car to have a hard time starting?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thank you for all this information.

I'm in my fourth year with the OEM battery. I've got to think the end is near.

Everything seems fine, does the battery just not work one day? Is that how you know or does it slowly die, causing the car to have a hard time starting?
Depends on the conditions most common killer of battery's today is a deep discharge from people some how not knowing that the alternator is bad. Or the battery just gets really old and loses its ability to hold CCAs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So the DEKA 9AGM48, didn't fit. I might have gotten away with it height wise, but it was about two inches too long for the bottom holder. I should have been more specific I guess? I have a 2010 Mazda 6 i 2.5l4cyl. It currently has a motorcraft 590CCA battery, sorry I do not have the model number. I have a 500rms system and the headlights slightly dim. When I saw the specs on the DEKA 9AGM48 I got really happy because it was 200+ more amps, but alas it did not work. Any more ideas?

·
100% CANUCK
7,600 Posts
Damn that sucks it didnt fit. Its really a great battery.

This damn autoguide app doesnt tell you 1st or 2nd gen subforum. If i would have known you had a 2nd gen i would have questioned it fitting.

Would it be possible to modify the bottom battery tray to have it fit? Like cutting the raised lip off the one side? Hell, i know people that run around with batteries which arent even tied down. Even if the bottom tray was modified, the battery would still be secure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I might be able to mod the tray but I would perfer not to. The question is after modding it, but to get the battery to stay in place, with my luck it would slide around and screw something up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I am going to try and mod the tray.I have to go to Lowes after work anyways so I can look for something there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think I am going to try and mod the tray.I have to go to Lowes after work anyways so I can look for something there.
Did you modify your tray? My current battery isn't going to last much longer. Finding an AGM or battery with better capacity if almost impossible for the factory size battery, 96. I found one that is longer, post to post direction, and a little taller. It might work if I'm able to modify the tray.

·
Rally Racer
2,366 Posts
Did you modify your tray? My current battery isn't going to last much longer. Finding an AGM or battery with better capacity if almost impossible for the factory size battery, 96. I found one that is longer, post to post direction, and a little taller. It might work if I'm able to modify the tray.

I believe there is an AutoZone near you that has the AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 96R, 590 CCA. Rumor has it the battery is made by Johnson Controls (decent)
Duracell makes one that is EastPenn made, also supposed to be very good.
Will a group 48 fit?

Battery Manufacturer List

·
Registered
140 Posts
I believe there is an AutoZone near you that has the AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 96R, 590 CCA. Rumor has it the battery is made by Johnson Controls (decent)
Duracell makes one that is EastPenn made, also supposed to be very good.
Will a group 48 fit?

Battery Manufacturer List
A 48 will probably be too long without modifying the tray. I was thinking about a 47 or H5 since they appear to be the same. I read somewhere the O'reilly batteries are EastPenn made.

·
Registered
62 Posts
On a related subject, what is the group'd experience with the life expectancy of the original battery? My experience with other cars, has been that they fail around 30,000 miles. My 2016 Sport is still going strong at 48,500 miles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts