Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting in a new, high powered audio system. I need a alternator that puts out more then the 90amps my stock 2005 6s puts out. Where can I get a aftermarket unit? What sort of power is available and how much? Any input?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
well the one they sell is the tsunami alternator and thats a good one to go with. you can check around some carudio sites and see if you can find dealers that make them. I used to know a guy based out of FL that custom made them and his prices were amazing compaired to other people but I dont remember who he was. Also, just curious how much power are you using cause you'd be surprised how well the stock alt handles.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can do one fo two things: 1) run full power drawing 80-100amps or 2) run one amp drawing 40-50 until I find a cheap alternator.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
the stock alternator produces 105 amps.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Is there a "cold-climate" alternator made for the car, for sub-0 temperatures. A lot of car manufacturers make two alternators, one for the U.S. market, and one for colder climates (Northern U.S. / Canada). Is the part # the same for Canadian m6s?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I can do one fo two things: 1) run full power drawing 80-100amps or 2) run one amp drawing 40-50 until I find a cheap alternator.
[/b]

but whats the rated power of your amps?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
800rms / 1920 MAX
[/b]

oh gez you dont even need to worry bout upgrading your alternator then.. 800 watts rms is not gonna do anything to your electrical system for you to worry bout. Currently between my two amps, Im running 2450watts RMS load on my factory alternator and its running just fine. You have no need at all to upgrade but if you wanna do something to help with what you got, trying doing the BIG 3 wiring. Do some searching on these boards or check out Termpro.com and search for it there. You'll find instructions on how to upgrade your wiring for your alternator, cause the BIG 3 is the wire from your ALT to your Battery, Your ground from your battery to your cars body, and your cars main ground. But in anycase,, you have no need to spend the hundreds it would cost to upgrade your alternator if your only running that lil power.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ya I'm running about 780W RMS and I'm still running the stock alternator and stock battery without dimming issues or anything. Defintely upgrade the big 3 first. Then maybe a better battery second. You're not in the range of needing a bigger alt, yet.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Anyone have any idea if our alt can be swapped out for a higher amp unit from another model car, like a Ford or Mazda truck? This might be a cheapo way of upgrading to a 120~160A unit from a rebuilder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts