Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering,

How many people have elected to add an alarm to their Mazda6?

I was originally planning on getting one, but now um underdecided - the security on the car seems to be pretty good - although I guess there is always room for improvement.

I talked to one dealer who said that they could hook up an alarm that would allow me to use the existing remote to arm it - the only problem with this may be that if you want to deadlock the doors you would need to use the key as opposed to pressing the lock button twice?

Any thoughts?

Also interested in recommended alarm brands was considering one of the DEI alarms (forgot the model).

Stephen

·
Registered
657 Posts
Reading Topic: Aftermarket Alarm?

I got the DEI Viper 500, I'm happy with it. It improved the range of the remote by about 40 feet (Using DEI's remote of course); and I'd trust DEI over Mazda's security in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Aftermarket Alarm?'

Originally posted by SteveS

Just wondering,

How many people have elected to add an alarm to their Mazda6?

I was originally planning on getting one, but now um underdecided - the security on the car seems to be pretty good - although I guess there is always room for improvement.

I talked to one dealer who said that they could hook up an alarm that would allow me to use the existing remote to arm it - the only problem with this may be that if you want to deadlock the doors you would need to use the key as opposed to pressing the lock button twice?

Any thoughts?

Also interested in recommended alarm brands was considering one of the DEI alarms (forgot the model).

Stephen[/b]
Actually, I've hooked up an aftermarket alarm. I have a DEFA model 400. See http://www.defa.no.

Deadlocking is as simple as pressing the (original) remote twice. Just as usual.

This alarm is pretty easy to attach yourself, and it has a lot of add-ons if you wish. But I guess for insurance reasons, you may have to get a shop put it in for you.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts

The reason why you would need to get a shop to put it in is so that you can maintain the LIFETIME warranty on parts. Just as long as its put in by a certified installer. The certification they use inthe states is MECP.

·
Registered
88 Posts

I'm also thinking about an alarm and was considering a Clifford. One place I took it to kept asking me if my car was a 626 or an MX6 :sarc

Just curious, what's deadlocking as opposed to just hitting lock on the remote once?

·
Registered
657 Posts

Heckler, if you don't mind driving out to Staten Island, Automotion on Clove Rd. and Richmond Terrace now knows how to wire a 6. :) They put in my Viper, and they also carry Clifford.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Originally posted by heckler

I'm also thinking about an alarm and was considering a Clifford.  One place I took it to kept asking me if my car was a 626 or an MX6 :sarc  

Just curious, what's deadlocking as opposed to just hitting lock on the remote once?[/b]
Deadlocking the doors locks them so that if someone smashed a window they would still not be able to unlock the doors from the inside.

If you are fitting an aftermarket alarm with an immobilzer how does this interact with the factory one? When I queried about an alarm the guy suggested an alarm without an immobilizer as the car already has one installed.

Stephen

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

You have to make sure the alarm you buy goes with the 6. But usually the alarm's immobilizer is by-passed and the car's own is used.

·
Registered
88 Posts

I had my alarm installed this weekend and the factory immobilizer is used along with the aftermarket one. It cost a bit more than one that would have just used the factory one, but my baby's worth it. :love

·
Registered
791 Posts

The factory immobilizer was enough to get an insurance discount, and that was good enough for me. This car shouldn't be much of a hot item becaue it won't be a huge volume seller.

·
Registered
88 Posts

My insurance company would not give discount unless it was a passive system. I know you don't have to do anything to arm the immobilizer, but you need to manually arm the factory alarm. I've aftermarket alarms on most of my cars since I do travel to NYC and it gives me a little more peace of mind.

·
Registered
88 Posts

I got it installed at Northern Auto Radio in Queens. They were the only place I went to that had worked on a 6 before and I've had a few friends get work done there so they came recommended. Overall they did a good job.

·
Registered
58 Posts

I got it installed at Northern Auto Radio in Queens.  They were the only place I went to that had worked on a 6 before and I've had a few friends get work done there so they came recommended.  Overall they did a good job.[/b]
Can you tell me your alam make and model number? Also, how much did you pay for your alam system (part and labor); and the direction to Northern Auto Radio. Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts

Jumper - It's at 152-12 Northern Blvd in Flushing. If you tell me where you are coming from I can try to give you directions. The phone # is 718.359.8102. I dealt with Frank and he was pretty cool answering all my questions and explaining everything.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Jumper - It's at 152-12 Northern Blvd in Flushing.  If you tell me where you are coming from I can try to give you directions.  The phone # is 718.359.8102.  I dealt with Frank and he was pretty cool answering all my questions and explaining everything.[/b]
Thanks for the information. I'm coming from Jersey, but I know my way around in Queens. Can you give me the exact address, maybe i can look it on the internet. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts

The alarm i have is a compustar 2wss-as by the way the remote start starts you engine if you have a stick ******

2WSS-AS Series
· Security
· Remote Start

This Series is the most recent product introduced by Firstech. It is a two-way communication remote pager that incorporates a unique LCD, liquid crystal display, to provide full surveillance of ones vehicle. Due to the unique modulation of this system, based off of Spread Spectrum technology, we are able to provide a range of up to 6000 feet.

CompuSTAR is the first system on the market that incorporates this ground breaking technology into security and remote start systems for ones vehicle. Spread Spectrum Technology has been kept top secret for many years. In fact, spread spectrum radio communications has long been a favorite of the military because of its transparent qualities. Likewise, because this form of modulation prevents jamming and is hard for enemy interception, it will also provide unmatched security and protection for ones vehicle.

The 2WSS-Series comes in the following models:

2WSS-AS (two-way spread spectrum alarm/starter combo)

2WSS-S (two-way spread spectrum starter only)

2WSS-A (two-way spread spectrum alarm only)

CompuSTAR takes the guessing game out of remote starting your vehicle. With starter confirmation from up to 6000ft the 2WSS-Series remote start systems will provide absolute comfort. Whether your intention is to cool the blazing heat or warm the bitter cold, CompuSTAR remote starters is what you have been looking for.

2WSS-S (two-way spread spectrum starter only)
Button (1): keyless entry, anti-jacking
Button (2): remote start
Button (3): trunk release
Button (4): query, panic

Please note: With features such as anti-grind relays to avoid the accidental grinding of the starter, stop and go mode for that quick in and out of the car without restarting and adjustable run time…CompuSTAR takes remote starting your vehicle to a whole new level.

When it comes to security CompuSTAR knows best. With 6000 feet of two-way communication the 2WSS-A will provide full surveillance of ones vehicle at all times as long as they are within the transmitting distance. The remote pager has audible, visual and vibration notification.

2WSS-A (two-way spread spectrum alarm only)
Button (1): keyless entry, car finder and anti-jacking
Button (2): aux. 1 (ex. Window roll up/down)
Button (3): trunk release, aux. 2
Button (4): query, panic

Please note: Through a combination of buttons features such as remote mute, vibration off, silent arm/disarm, valet and on/off shock can be performed through the remote for your convenience.

Features

AS(alarm/starter)
S(starteronly)
A(alarmonly)

Alarm
Yes
x
Yes

This is the best alarm let me know if you decied to get it

Starter
Yes
Yes