Mazda 6 Forums banner

Aftermarker rear head restraints?

3K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  Gecko_2k2 
#1 ·
I'm not sure about other countries, but the U.S. Mazda6 models don't have rear seat head restraints. Has anyone ever thought about having them added aftermarket? Can it even be done? If so, it's something I would definitely consider, since I frequently have rear seat passengers, sometimes on longer trips.

#6 ·
Reading Topic: Aftermarker rear head restraints?

He means the little round things molded into the seatbacks that are pitiful excuses for headrests. his point was that adding in real headrests will be more difficult than average because of those little fake rests.

-Alt

#7 ·
Replying to Topic 'Aftermarker rear head restraints?'

Originally posted by Altersys

He means the little round things molded into the seatbacks that are pitiful excuses for headrests.  his point was that adding in real headrests will be more difficult than average because of those little fake rests.

-Alt[/b]
Yeah, I understood that, but I meant that the 2 6s's that I drove didn't even have that. The rear seats were completely flat all the way across the top. That might actually make it easier to add in aftermarket head restraints...

#8 ·

Originally posted by future6owner

Originally posted by Altersys

He means the little round things molded into the seatbacks that are pitiful excuses for headrests.  his point was that adding in real headrests will be more difficult than average because of those little fake rests.

-Alt[/b]
Yeah, I understood that, but I meant that the 2 6s's that I drove didn't even have that. The rear seats were completely flat all the way across the top. That might actually make it easier to add in aftermarket head restraints...[/b][/quote]

?????????????????????????Really
We need pics for proof

#9 ·

Originally posted by meat6

Originally posted by future6owner

Yeah, I understood that, but I meant that the 2 6s's that I drove didn't even have that.  The rear seats were completely flat all the way across the top.  That might actually make it easier to add in aftermarket head restraints...[/b]
?????????????????????????Really
We need pics for proof
[/b][/quote]

Ok... I'll grab my digital camera next week and go to a dealer and snap some photos. :) I'm pretty sure they were flat, but I'll find out for sure next week.

#11 ·
Reading Topic: Aftermarker rear head restraints?

Ok Meat6,

You were right. There are bumps, but at least with the cloth seating, they are hardly noticable at all. They seem much more pronounced with the leather seating. When I peeked inside one with cloth seats (the exact car I test drove, actually); they had one of the seats folded down. When it was folded down, I couldn't see the bump at all. The other seat, which was in place, I could see its bump, but it was very small.

#13 ·

Originally posted by meat6

Originally posted by Entropism

You could always buy the Euro/JDM back seats.[/b]
Problem solved :D [/b][/quote]

What are those? And where can I get them? Are they available in the U.S.?

Questions questions :)

#18 ·

Originally posted by Blackbird

I meant  E n t r o p i s m. Damn! Man have a normal nickname :D[/b]
Entropism - The belief that eventually, everything falls apart. What's so abnormal about that? Remember, I used to own a Nissan, and I was going to get a VW.... Entropy is my way of life. :)

G
#22 ·
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Aftermarker rear head restraints?

Does anyone know *why* we don't have real headrests in the US? You can see a picture of what the Australian version looks like here: http://www.mazda.com.au/articleZone.asp?ar...icleZoneID=1703

Is it because they would obsure vision through the rear too much to meet some regulation? Wouldn't the safety impacts be more important?

Anyone have an idea of what height puts your head over the seatback?

#23 ·

If that's the case, then Mazda should have done what Volvo's been doing for ages:

The back seates have standard, full size hear restraints. When someone isn't sitting there, you punch a button and they flip down, ta-dah! No more vision obscuring headrests!

#24 ·

Oh and here's my view on the glass:

If you filled it up only half way: The glass is half full
If you drank half of your drink: The glass is half empty

It's as simple as that, and has nothing to do with your outlook in life. ;)

#25 ·

Originally posted by Shiva6

Does anyone know *why* we don't have real headrests in the US? You can see a picture of what the Australian version looks like here: http://www.mazda.com.au/articleZone.asp?ar...icleZoneID=1703

Is it because they would obsure vision through the rear too much to meet some regulation? Wouldn't the safety impacts be more important?

Anyone have an idea of what height puts your head over the seatback?[/b]
Sooo... How is having the headrests there different from having a person there if will obsure your vision through the rear window? In some cases the persons head is in most cases taller than the rear head restraints. I fail to see the logic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.