Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k, someone please tell me why all the aftermarket exhaust sytems for the 6i are 2.25? that is the stick size. now, correct me if im wrong but when u get cat-back exhaust you go a size up right? i know i did. i went custom, got a CAI, Magna-flow high flow cat, no resonator, and 2.5 all the way back, and magnaflow mufflers. im thinkin ive gained 10-15 whp? neways if you guys could answer as many of the questions as possible thatd b great. thx.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
All i see is one question there...

And i guess i will be the first to tell you before someone else bashes you for it, but searching here would be the best thing to do.

btw, welcome to the club.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well, I don't know about all of your questions, but I know that on my 6i I have an AEM CAI and Magnaflow catback, and I love both of them. I can feel a difference from stock as far as power, but I love the sound alot more..... it is one of my favorite mods. As far as a few extra hp and that kind of stuff.... don't forget that unless you are racing, then just enjoying the ride is the important thing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well, I don't know about all of your questions, but I know that on my 6i I have an AEM CAI and Magnaflow catback, and I love both of them. I can feel a difference from stock as far as power, but I love the sound alot more..... it is one of my favorite mods. As far as a few extra hp and that kind of stuff.... don't forget that unless you are racing, then just enjoying the ride is the important thing.
[/b]
Ahhh, this is frustrating reading this thread. I want this exhaust sooo bad but i'm probably gonna regret not waiting till the spring. Has anyone had a full winter with this and noticed any rusting underneath?

·
Registered
212 Posts
im thinkin ive gained 10-15 whp? neways if you guys could answer as many of the questions as possible thatd b great. thx.
[/b]
There are no hp gains from adding any aftermarket exhaust to a 6i. You may have actually decreased hp with a bigger pipe. The stock exhaust was actually made pretty well as far as peformance goes. Atleast you can enjoy the new sound though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
There are no hp gains from adding any aftermarket exhaust to a 6i. You may have actually decreased hp with a bigger pipe. The stock exhaust was actually made pretty well as far as peformance goes. Atleast you can enjoy the new sound though.
[/b]
Do you have any pics of Magnaflows on your 6i? Are they too short at the back like I've seen on some 6i's?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do you have any pics of Magnaflows on your 6i? Are they too short at the back like I've seen on some 6i's?
[/b]
No I don't have any pics on this pc, but they do come up about two inches short. However, you can't tell unless your under the car looking up at the exhaust. Looking from the back you can't tell at all and its not really noticable from the side either. I have the sport bumper though and I think that is why they are short. They probably designed the exhaust thinking all 4 cylinders didn't have the sport kit.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All i see is one question there...

And i guess i will be the first to tell you before someone else bashes you for it, but searching here would be the best thing to do.

btw, welcome to the club.
[/b]

look, i know you guys get tired of reading the same posts, but id rather not search hundreds of posts. and how can you say u only see one question, and theres like 3, or 4 question marks in my post. i wanted to know why the aftermarket exhaust sets you can buy are the same diameter as the stock exhaust piping( 2.25)? i asked how much whp ive gained from the mods? etc... neways i can tell you i didnt lose any power from going bigger, it helped somewhat. any one else that wb's it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Thats still only 2, not 4 :p You need to make your questions more clear then, I know im not the only one thinking that.

As far as the pipe size, I can't tell you that... Probably the same size so they can match up and bolt onto your existing pipes / cat / whatevver.. thats my guess. It only counts if you change everything from the header on back.

You think you have 10-15 hp gain, and your probably wrong there too.

AEM CAI on a 6i might get you 7 or 8 hp, if that? And an exhaust will basically get you nothing, and you will probably lose some lowend torque.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
k, someone please tell me why all the aftermarket exhaust sytems for the 6i are 2.25? that is the stick size. now, correct me if im wrong but when u get cat-back exhaust you go a size up right? i know i did. i went custom, got a CAI, Magna-flow high flow cat, no resonator, and 2.5 all the way back, and magnaflow mufflers. im thinkin ive gained 10-15 whp? neways if you guys could answer as many of the questions as possible thatd b great. thx.
[/b]
like some have said, welcome aboard!

to start things off, many companies have seen that on the 6 (we're talking 4cyl for now) there are not gains to be had by increasing pipe size. why spend the extra money (and charge more money in turn) for something that isn't needed? though there is some minor top end to be had, it's in most cases, not worth the cost. as someone already stated, which i really liked, if you aren't racing it's about enjoying the ride. this is what companies (and you) should be focusing on when looking for an exhaust. if you feel you got a gain, that's awesome.....but you didn't. the butt dyno is more important for daily drivers anyhow, so that's what i would stick with unless you plan on really sitting on a dyno with the car.

hope that answered some of the questions for you. and if you have a custom shop that does work for you, you WILL see some gains if you want them to fab up a mid pipe from header to the beginning of the exhaust (keep the cat or go with a highflow) as that is the biggest restriction in the system....making anying bigger after that is post-bottleneck, so just for looks and sound.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
like some have said, welcome aboard!

to start things off, many companies have seen that on the 6 (we're talking 4cyl for now) there are not gains to be had by increasing pipe size. why spend the extra money (and charge more money in turn) for something that isn't needed? though there is some minor top end to be had, it's in most cases, not worth the cost. as someone already stated, which i really liked, if you aren't racing it's about enjoying the ride. this is what companies (and you) should be focusing on when looking for an exhaust. if you feel you got a gain, that's awesome.....but you didn't. the butt dyno is more important for daily drivers anyhow, so that's what i would stick with unless you plan on really sitting on a dyno with the car.

hope that answered some of the questions for you. and if you have a custom shop that does work for you, you WILL see some gains if you want them to fab up a mid pipe from header to the beginning of the exhaust (keep the cat or go with a highflow) as that is the biggest restriction in the system....making anying bigger after that is post-bottleneck, so just for looks and sound.
[/b]

lol, im lovin that sentence up there! ( if you think you got a gain... you didnt.) lol. but hey ur probly right. once i can find my header(and ive already spoke to you about this mr. tea.) then yes im gonna have the midpipe customized as well. so i guess from the header, itd be 2.3 all the way back. already got the magnaflow cat! but im thinkin after i do the header, is there any benefit to sendin off the ecu to JET???? 400 bucks.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
there has been only 1 person with a 6 (V6) and 1 person with a Speed6 that has done the JetChip thing and spoken about it. both say that it did feel like a very good mod, but neither of them had been to a dyno before or after the "flash". with that, i'd say it's not gonna hurt, but for $400 you could could do some other cool stuff. it's up to you, i don't know of any 6i's that have gone that route, so make sure before you send anything. my issue with Jet, was when i dropped by a couple years ago, i talked to them about it....and they didn't even know what CAN was, let alone the new Mazda's used it?

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
there has been only 1 person with a 6 (V6) and 1 person with a Speed6 that has done the JetChip thing and spoken about it. both say that it did feel like a very good mod, but neither of them had been to a dyno before or after the "flash". with that, i'd say it's not gonna hurt, but for $400 you could could do some other cool stuff. it's up to you, i don't know of any 6i's that have gone that route, so make sure before you send anything. my issue with Jet, was when i dropped by a couple years ago, i talked to them about it....and they didn't even know what CAN was, let alone the new Mazda's used it?
[/b]

the mid-pipe is from the header to the cat correct? so what about 2 feet? shouldnt i just get the same type of pipe(aluminum steel i thank...)they used from the cat to the mufflers for the header to the cat? and a 2.5 inch?you were saying that would then kinda open it up more(breathe better) correct?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts