Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mixed information. the manual says to install the MAF in the fron tbumber cavity right before the airfilter. some members claim that it will throw a CEL therefore they did the reverse install where the MAF is placed right after the TB under the hood eliminating any problems. anyone with advise? much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
if they have an AEM/Injen intake, how are they moving the MAF? i don't get how people can choose where to install it when it's welded into the piping. your chances of a CEL are very high, but as long as you scan it every now and then you are safe. that's what most have done, or spend the $$ on the CPE if the light is that big of an issue for you.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I followed the instructions. Ive had the intake in for weeks now without a CEL im probably gonna get the cp-e anyway but just lettin u know heh.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HERE IS THE STORY. I bought an injen CAI a couple of months back and got a CEL. called CPE and they sold me an injen fix customizer. Used their scotch blocks and was getting intermitent operation, meaning the car would either shut off or throw a cel. After clamping down the locks the problem went away but the car would bogg down on takeoff. spoke to CPE and the sold me a CPE CAI. got rid of the injen and installed the new CPE Intake. The same problem as before came back. repositioned the scotch blocks and the problem went away for a while and the bogging came back. When it was runing good I raced a Honda accord and got my ass kicked??!!! called CPE and they told me to get the Tunable MAF Customizer and send the other one back for credit. I did and got the tunable. hooked it up and there was a big difference in performance. Since I paid for the tunable, I decided to have the car dyno tuned and program the MAF according to the car's specs. after approximately 15 runs and numerous uploads and adjustments, the max output was 178 hp at 6500 rpm which was impresive. Here is where things get worse. On the last run it threw a CEL and we reset it by disconnecting the negative. Drove home and the cel came back. decided to finally solder the wires (something I should have done first) but it was just too late. all the times I was moving , connecting and reconnecting the MAFs I shred a couple of the wires and had to resolder the actuall harness to have the car operate normally. At this point I was pissed and decided to go back to the stock airbox. Returned the CPE for credit and suggested they only recommend soldering to the harness and exclude the scotch blocks. As weekend mechanic I took the easy way out and used the guards when someone else with a few more years under his belt would have soldered. After a couple of days I missed the performance with the cpe (when it worked right) and decided to have the ECU flashed at JET Perfoemance here in Huntington beach. Went down there, pulled the ECU and handed it to the dude. In one hour he came back and $ 400.00 later I had a flashed computer. Hooked up and noticed a big difference in performance but was not still satisfied. The other day I bought the AEM CAI and installed it. I must say with the setup I have, Magnaflow catback, flashed ECU and AEM Intake, the performance is probably a few HPs lower than the CPE. I haven't gotten a CEL and hope the flash has taken care of that, at least that's what JET claims. At least this way I know that if anything goes wrong with the car, not related to the CAI, the dealer won't void my warranty when they would see the Customizer sliced in the ECU and don't have to worry about it not passing smog when the time comes. By far the CPE CAI is the BEST, No doubt . I wish I had done it right from the start but after I get the headers I think I'll be content.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
sweet, another local!! i'm here in Huntington too. you are the first confrimed person to go to Jet, so that's cool that it worked. i talked to the guy, bald guy i think, and it just seemed he was full of shit, so i saved my 400...that was 2 years ago. maybe i should talk to them and see what they can do, or maybe you can help me out sometime with that. if they can do timing i'd be very interested in heading over there.

That huge pipe is a big help when it comes to making power, so i'm sure that's a good part of what's lacking with the AEM in place. who knows, but trial and error is a bitch, i can attest to that!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by crossbow@Nov 17 2005, 04:18 PM
blendz,

Be wary taking your car in for the recalls though.  If the dealer reflashes your pcm, it could screw the hell outta the jet module.
[snapback]559670[/snapback]​
I'll make sure to let the dealer know not to flash the ECU. and hopefully they wont go near it. Jet performace has actually flashed the car's computer. I had to take it out and give it to them for programming so there is no module connected. That's what i like about the setup. Wasn't a big fan of splicing into the harness as I'm sure you have read in my last reply. Just did the TB plate mod. WOW!!!! that's all I gotta say. if it's done right, the outcome is incredible. the lag has disapeared and throttle response is 100%++++ better. Thanx to Two wheelin?! and his instructions. I think that's what his screen name is.
<_<

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by MrTea@Nov 17 2005, 02:22 AM
sweet, another local!!  i'm here in Huntington too.  you are the first confrimed person to go to Jet, so that's cool that it worked.  i talked to the guy, bald guy i think, and it just seemed he was full of shit, so i saved my 400...that was 2 years ago.  maybe i should talk to them and see what they can do, or maybe you can help me out sometime with that.  if they can do timing i'd be very interested in heading over there. 

That huge pipe is a big help when it comes to making power, so i'm sure that's a good part of what's lacking with the AEM in place.  who knows, but trial and error is a bitch, i can attest to that!
[snapback]559311[/snapback]​
Hey Neighbor, I drive down to HB all the time. I sometimes rehearse with my band at the Matrix in FV or Sound Arena in Garden Grove. Don't like the Cops down in HB. Well can't say i don't like them, But before I got the ^s I had a supercahrged durango with spinteck exh, gears tint, DJM lowered etc... and they used to stop me just to talk to me or give a tint citation. Now I just go around from Warner to Euclid and I'm home free. Watch, now that I said that I'm gonna get busted... By the way did you say that the TB coolant bypass is a waste of time and skin? I was planning to do it. But decided to go for the sure thing TB plate mod, which I did last night. what a f&%$ing difference. No lag and the car jumps off the line. I definitely recommend it for the 6ATX. Check out my band's website (www.intervaltheband.com) and maybe you can come and see us at the Galaxy, Hoagies etc.. one night. Rock on!!!!!!!!!! :drive:

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
Jet can be pretty cool if you give em a heads up. had a friend do that with his truck and they said to just bring it in after. i just wanna know the detail from jet, maybe i'll head over there next week and ask...they don't seem to like email?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Originally posted by atom44wat@Nov 18 2005, 03:09 PM
blendzol
Do you have a link to this TB spacer post?  I am curious as to how it works and what is needed to have this done.
[snapback]560602[/snapback]​
I believe he is referencing This page.

I found it in TwoWheelin's signature line and followed it to see what it was once.

I think it's an interesting approach...

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I've had the CPE customizer on for a year and a half using the scotchlocks and haven't had any issues with them.

And there is only one place to put the MAF.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by GreenNuggs@Nov 18 2005, 08:41 PM
I've had the CPE customizer on for a year and a half using the scotchlocks and haven't had any issues with them.

And there is only one place to put the MAF.
[snapback]560628[/snapback]​
Well I guess you are the lucky one. and there is not just one place to put the MAF on the AEM. It comes with a link tube that has the hole for the MAF. The instructions place it in the fender well and a member did it his own way by placing it right after the accordian tube and then the pipe. Doesn't matter now I have installed it and things have been pretty good up to now. who knows what tomorrow may bring. I'm gonna try the TB coolant bypass and the TB grounding today. some say it works some say it doesn't do crap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
blendzol
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing