Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm extrememly tempted to purchase the AEM tru-boost gauge/boost controller. i'd knock out two birds with one stone theoretically, by gaining the ability to hold 16 psi to redline, as well as have a reliable boost gauge that wont look too out of place inside the car, as long as i kep the black face on it.

however, i really want tuning for the car, but wouldn't want to have to un-install the AEM and have to buy a new gauge further down the road. does anyone know how or if its possible to have the AEM only work as a gauge, and then let w/e tuning program i go with control boost/everything else. i wouldnt want to spend 200+ dollars then 500+ and still need a new gauge. any advice? do it for instant gratification and wait for tuning for a year or so? or just hold out for a full tuning solution and still have to buy a gauge? its getting to be the holiday season and ive got money just burning a hole in my pocket :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
turbo runs out of stem up in the top. You aren't in it's efficientcy range then. But you can try. Do a search on boost controller. A few people are running them.

On a side note I think there are quite a few boost controllers that also have a reading on them. I believe the digital readout is how you tell it where to hold.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
turbo runs out of stem up in the top. You aren't in it's efficientcy range then. But you can try. Do a search on boost controller. A few people are running them.

On a side note I think there are quite a few boost controllers that also have a reading on them. I believe the digital readout is how you tell it where to hold.
[/b]

i have a decent odea of how it works, and i know about how small our turbos are, and how they'll be close to overworking if boosting too high for too long in the rpm range. im asking about this particular BC and whether it can only function as a gauge once i have tuning to control the boost psi

·
Registered
856 Posts
I would imagine you could still use it as a gauge.
Does it have a separate sensor or does it read the boost from the solenoid somehow?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the AEM Tru-Boost controller on my '06 MS6 now. I installed it last week and I'm "fairly" happy with it. The reason I even went with an EBC was due to the fact that we built a custom 3" exhaust for the car and removed the aft cat. That caused the boost to spike and get into fuel cut. With the AEM EBC, I've been able to pretty much eliminate the fuel cut and get boost to maintain about 15psi all the way to 6000+ (spiking to about 17psi). With the mbc I had before, the spike was uncontrollable and would only allow me to run the boost at about 12psi to redline without spiking into fuel cut. When I tried to run 15psi with the mbc, it would spike to over 19psi and fuel cut like mad. I also like the "recall" feature and the dual boost settings.

As far as using the AEM tru-boost as a gauge only, it will do that just fine. You can "turn off" the boost controller function all together (running just off wg spring pressure only), and the boost gauge and "recall" features still work as normal.

Hope that helps.

p.s. When in the hell is someone going to offer a fuel cut defender for these cars???? Geez!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the AEM Tru-Boost controller on my '06 MS6 now. I installed it last week and I'm "fairly" happy with it. The reason I even went with an EBC was due to the fact that we built a custom 3" exhaust for the car and removed the aft cat. That caused the boost to spike and get into fuel cut. With the AEM EBC, I've been able to pretty much eliminate the fuel cut and get boost to maintain about 15psi all the way to 6000+ (spiking to about 17psi). With the mbc I had before, the spike was uncontrollable and would only allow me to run the boost at about 12psi to redline without spiking into fuel cut. When I tried to run 15psi with the mbc, it would spike to over 19psi and fuel cut like mad. I also like the "recall" feature and the dual boost settings.

As far as using the AEM tru-boost as a gauge only, it will do that just fine. You can "turn off" the boost controller function all together (running just off wg spring pressure only), and the boost gauge and "recall" features still work as normal.

Hope that helps.

p.s. When in the hell is someone going to offer a fuel cut defender for these cars???? Geez!
[/b]

thank you very much sir. so i can drive around for alittle while holding boost until redline, and then once a viable tuning option is out, i will still have a gauge :)

now to get an extra hundred bucks...

·
Registered
204 Posts
How complicated are one of these to install? And is there a way to just use the AEM controller with a better, analog gauge, say an Autometer Nexus?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts