Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For starters this is a very easy mod for people that have an AEM CAI and feel that it's lacking.

Just so everyone knows, this item is originally made for the Mazdaspeed 3 AEM Intake which is a 2.75"OD intake. Our Mazdaspeed 6 AEM Intakes happens to be 3"OD

Note: I am typing this out at 2am so if something doesn't make sense I'll go back to clarify. Hopefully with the provided pictures, you wont need to read my shitty guide. Also this part may not be needed as going SRI by itself might cure some of the issues people are having.

Instructions :

1. First off, you are going to need to cut your intake into a SRI. You have two options here, 1. You can cut it long to keep it in a cooler area. 2. Cut it short so it's easier to install the straightener. Depending on which way you go the installation is going to be different. I decided to go with number 1.

2. This is about as long as it could get without rubbing on the headlight housing. You can use a hacksaw and just go at it. Takes a good couple of minutes, but it should come off with relative ease. I suggest sanding down the edge of the new cut.

3. Find a hose that has the right thickness for you. [I'll get exact measurements later] You could probably use basically anything, but you want to get something that has some rebound in the material so it can be wedged in there and stay there without moving. [ie silicone, some sort of rubber, or perhaps thin foam padding?]

4. If you can find a full coupler that can sit over the air straightener, that would be best. The ID of the hose would need to be 2.75" and the OD would need to be a hair under 3". If not you need to cut the hose into two pieces, probably 1.5"x 1" should be fine.

5. You are going to need to place one piece on each side of the straightener. You are placing it right after the larger outer ring, onto the area that would have typically slid into the MS3 intake. Basically you are making up for the larger diameter for the MS6 intake by placing a hose on it to fill the gap.

Depending if you went with option 1 or 2, this is where it gets tricky.

6. If you went with option 1 you can basically slide the piece in with the hose in the top and bottom location and it should fit snug right in front of the MAF. Other people have found hoses with the right thickness that can be placed entirely over the aem piece and placed into the intake without it moving around.

7. If you decided to go with option 2. You can only use pieces of hose and not an entire coupler. You would need to cut pieces and lay it on the top and bottom. These pieces need to be slightly thicker so the aem piece can be wedged into the intake. Part of the air straightener will stick out of the opening of the intake, but this will be covered by filter.

I seriously hope this shit made sense. It barely makes sense to me and I'm the one that installed it. =\

·
Risickulous
4,862 Posts
3 questions:

1) Will the straightener not fit in the smaller inside diameter part of the intake? Hard to tell, but from pics I would guess it might hit the MAF.

2) Are you 100% sure those pieces won't come loose and suck into your turbo? I don't want to imagine the sound that would make.

3) Why are you doing this? I already posted data showing better LTFT's with the AEM CAI vs my Cobb SRI with a straightener.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
+1 on that shit getting sucked in. thats not something u wanna mess with.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
QUOTE (jmhinkle @ Dec 30 2008, 03:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1496636
3 questions:

1) Will the straightener not fit in the smaller inside diameter part of the intake? Hard to tell, but from pics I would guess it might hit the MAF.

2) Are you 100% sure those pieces won't come loose and suck into your turbo? I don't want to imagine the sound that would make.

3) Why are you doing this? I already posted data showing better LTFT's with the AEM CAI vs my Cobb SRI with a straightener.[/b]
you were using a chopped AEM also?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (jmhinkle @ Dec 30 2008, 03:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1496636
3 questions:

3) Why are you doing this? I already posted data showing better LTFT's with the AEM CAI vs my Cobb SRI with a straightener.[/b]

1) Yea it wont fit, hits the MAF first.

2) If you decide to cut it short and wedge it in there, I don't think there is any possible way it will get sucked in. I had problems taking it out as it was very tight. However, if you decide to keep it long then you will probably need to probably just glue the pieces onto the straightener to keep it secure. For me it was tight enough that it would not fly in. Also as you noticed the area around the MAF is slightly smaller in diameter to the rest of the intake, so I doubt it will fly in on its own.

3) Not clear on what you mean. Are you comparing just the plain ol AEM CAI to a Cobb SRI that has a straightener already in it? Never saw the data =\

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I read on this forum that an air straightner is not needed if the is no 45 or 90 degree bend before the MAF? I've attached a pic of my hacked AEM CAI.

It seems like a straight shot to my MAF.

OP, are you suggesting that this mod is needed regardless?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
well i know his ltft's were way off without the straightner. I guess he's gonna be doing some more testing with the straightner in different configurations, and without it altogether.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (djuosnteisn @ Dec 30 2008, 11:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1496844
well i know his ltft's were way off without the straightner. I guess he's gonna be doing some more testing with the straightner in different configurations, and without it altogether.[/b]

Yea I did notice a huge drop. Basically +20 LTFT to 0 at idle. However, I don't know if this was the direct cause of the air straightener as I did not have the SRI on long enough to really get a good result. I'll be trying it without it for now to see where it goes as well.

Either way I suggest everyone hacks their AEM up lol.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
it's nice out, i think i'll chop mine today...go ahead and send me one straightner...

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
QUOTE (ksource @ Dec 30 2008, 12:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1496882
Yea I did notice a huge drop. Basically +20 LTFT to 0 at idle. However, I don't know if this was the direct cause of the air straightener as I did not have the SRI on long enough to really get a good result. I'll be trying it without it for now to see where it goes as well.

Either way I suggest everyone hacks their AEM up lol.[/b]
I'm very interested in your results and I'm sure those who have hacked their AEM CAIs into SRIs will be too. Thanks for the pics and DIY.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Bump for any updates on this mod.....

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bmorrisj got the part on Monday I believe, I have been running with it off for awhile so I need to check my AP.

I'll see if I can update you guys later today.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
QUOTE (ksource @ Jan 9 2009, 12:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1501846
bmorrisj got the part on Monday I believe, I have been running with it off for awhile so I need to check my AP.

I'll see if I can update you guys later today.[/b]
Very cool...thanks, I just ordered one from RPM anyway and my AP will be ordered this weekend. I'm suspecting my LTFTs are f'd up but with out the AP I won't be able to tell.

I'm getting random CELs that come and go. I'm hoping by the time the AP and the straightner gets here, I'll be able to troubleshoot my CELs.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i just chopped my pipe right now, i totally forgot to pick up a coupler to cut so i can wedge the straightener in there, im heading to find one in the ricer section at the auto parts store.

but yay/nay on your results?

*haha i dont know if this is placebo, but the car feels much more responsive and the butt/back dyno feels like theres a little more pull

·
Registered
211 Posts
I read on this forum that an air straightner is not needed if the is no 45 or 90 degree bend before the MAF? I've attached a pic of my hacked AEM CAI.

It seems like a straight shot to my MAF.

OP, are you suggesting that this mod is needed regardless?
So do I still need to buy the straightener if I just cut the 45 degree bend off in front of the MAF?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts