Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get some thoughts. Any work I do my vehicles is in my 1-car garage, which is built into the house. So it's underneath the top floor and leads directly into the bottom floor.

Any time I do touchup or more extensive painting (i.e. wheels), the fumes get pretty bad. Note that I always wear a 3M respirator, that's not an issue. When it's warmer out, this isn't a big deal because I just open the garage door. But in winter, which is prime car project time, I can't do that because obviously in Maine the temp would drop too much and gusts of winter wind in my work area can wreak havoc.

Not just the smell, I worry about the toxic fumes getting through the door and ceiling of the garage, out to where my family might breathe it.

Any tips? Is there some sort of handheld powered filtration device? Should I have a fan on that blows air away from the door leading into the bottom floor? Should I open the garage door briefly every once in a while to release some of the toxic air and let fresh air in? Should I quit doing any painting while the garage door has to be closed?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hoping to get some thoughts. Any work I do my vehicles is in my 1-car garage, which is built into the house. So it's underneath the top floor and leads directly into the bottom floor.

Any time I do touchup or more extensive painting (i.e. wheels), the fumes get pretty bad. Note that I always wear a 3M respirator, that's not an issue. When it's warmer out, this isn't a big deal because I just open the garage door. But in winter, which is prime car project time, I can't do that because obviously in Maine the temp would drop too much and gusts of winter wind in my work area can wreak havoc.

Not just the smell, I worry about the toxic fumes getting through the door and ceiling of the garage, out to where my family might breathe it.

Any tips? Is there some sort of handheld powered filtration device? Should I have a fan on that blows air away from the door leading into the bottom floor? Should I open the garage door briefly every once in a while to release some of the toxic air and let fresh air in? Should I quit doing any painting while the garage door has to be closed?

Have you considered something like this, you could open the garage door just slightly and blow it outside it would probably help without spending a small fortune on a filtration system

https://m.lowes.com/pd/XPOWER-1-5-HP-800-CFM-Centrifugal-Daisy-Chain-Compatible-Blower-Fan/1000524423

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[

Have you considered something like this, you could open the garage door just slightly and blow it outside it would probably help without spending a small fortune on a filtration system

https://m.lowes.com/pd/XPOWER-1-5-HP-800-CFM-Centrifugal-Daisy-Chain-Compatible-Blower-Fan/1000524423

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll definitely look into it. I wish it wasn't so cold in the winter!

·
Registered
110 Posts
at our sign shop when i paint in winter i open the side door(not roll-up), put a box fan at the bottom, and close off the top 2/3 of the door with cardboard. it keeps the fumes going out and draws fresh air in, and since it's the bottom of the door it sucks out the cold floor air instead of the warmer higner up air. should work well for you and will suck a little air from your home which keeps the fumes headed out instead of up. i'm assuming you mean cold as in 20-35° and not extremely windy. if it were below 20° or windy i'd wait for a warmer day so you and stay kinda warm

·
Registered
110 Posts
Have you considered something like this, you could open the garage door just slightly and blow it outside it would probably help without spending a small fortune on a filtration system!
good in theory, but when you open the bottom of the door, the top opens as well because it's rolling inward.

·
Registered
613 Posts
good in theory, but when you open the bottom of the door, the top opens as well because it's rolling inward.

True, I did not think about that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
at our sign shop when i paint in winter i open the side door(not roll-up), put a box fan at the bottom, and close off the top 2/3 of the door with cardboard. it keeps the fumes going out and draws fresh air in, and since it's the bottom of the door it sucks out the cold floor air instead of the warmer higner up air. should work well for you and will suck a little air from your home which keeps the fumes headed out instead of up. i'm assuming you mean cold as in 20-35° and not extremely windy. if it were below 20° or windy i'd wait for a warmer day so you and stay kinda warm
That's pretty smart--thank you! Yeah, I wouldn't do it below 20 degrees. And luckily the wind doesn't really hit the side of the house with the side door. Nice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts