Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I'm probably the oldest guy monitoring this board, but over 30+years I've owned lots of interesting vehicles. That said, the features of the MS6 are very impressive. More so than the Shelby GT500 that I was thinking about. (Note log-in name.)

At what RPM level is power loss experienced? All ranges or mostly at high revs?
Same with the transmission problems? High RPM shifts or most of the time? (I owned an early RSX that had the shift grid and it irritated the [email protected]$# out of me.)

I rarely, but occasionally, would get into the up rev range and I've always babied the transmissions in my cars. So, how likely am I to be bothered by the power loss and transmission woes?

I think I can live with the clutch "issue."

BTW, my local dealer has 23 MS6s - I think he'll deal!

·
Registered
172 Posts
First, I'm probably the oldest guy monitoring this board, but over 30+years I've owned lots of interesting vehicles. That said, the features of the MS6 are very impressive. More so than the Shelby GT500 that I was thinking about. (Note log-in name.)

At what RPM level is power loss experienced? All ranges or mostly at high revs?
Same with the transmission problems? High RPM shifts or most of the time? (I owned an early RSX that had the shift grid and it irritated the [email protected]$# out of me.)

I rarely, but occasionally, would get into the up rev range and I've always babied the transmissions in my cars. So, how likely am I to be bothered by the power loss and transmission woes?

I think I can live with the clutch "issue."

BTW, my local dealer has 23 MS6s - I think he'll deal!
[/b]
Not sure which direction you are looking in but the engine drops off pretty hard around 5500-5800 RPM basically the engine no longer builds power but there is also a condition where the ECM puts the car into safe-mode and restricts power after 4000 RPM. I myself have not experienced the safe-mode but some have.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have to say that I have no experienced the powerloss issue and I have over 6000 miles on my car. The car is great take it for a test drive. I also believe there is a reflash for the powerloss issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
5800 miles on my car and still no loss! everything works perfect on my speed... keyless system works great, no powerloss and slight problem getting used to this sensitive clutch but other than that its grrrreattt! i love the GT5 but needed a functional backseat or that wouldve been in my driveway right now! anyways good luck with your purchase and look foward to chatting with you about your new ms6 if it happens.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Well I am 34 so I am pretty old myself, but if your contiplating a New GT500 to a Mazdaspeed for raw power the GT500 will walk all over a Mazdaspeed6. In the handling/Braking dept. I think the Speed6 will have an advantage. It's all in what your looking for. If Performance Mods and aftermarket support is what your looking for look no further than the GT500. You will have a Huge aftermarket support as well as Ford support (for tuning and stuff)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Certainly not implying the GT500 & MS6 are similar cars. The GT500 indeed has lots of HP, but I can't imagine it being anything but a weekend car, if even that, i.e., garage queen.

BTW, I'm driving an 06,V6 manual Mustang now. It's a great improvement over the 2001 GT Bullitt I owned. Fewer horses for sure, but the new V6 is no slouch and much smoother, better built.

The MS6 certainly is a much more advanced vehicle than the GT500, which can be a double-edged sword, but is what attracts me to it.

We'll see how badly my dealer wants to sell one of his 23 MS6s.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Interesting that another buyer pitted this car against a mustang. My alternative was a 2006 GT conv. with an aftermarket pony pkg grill (The new Hertz pkg is tastefull as well). I passed on the mustang because of snow and the necessity of having another winter vehicle but otherwise I just thought the mustang lacked a bit of substance compared to the AWD and DCS etc of similarly priced cars such as a MS6 and subaru etc..

As far as loss and or tranny issues. Im pushing 9K miles and have had zero problems. For what its worth, this is my fourth Mazda (third mazda 6) and all have been superb, reliable, and rewarding vehicles. I have also owned five mustangs and while I liked them all, I cannot say the same. Let face it, people dont buy mustangs for the reliability. Never the less, that figures directly into the LIV-ability of the car. The Gt500 is spectacular but ultimately, living with it everyday, it was an easy choice for me.

If you havent considered it yet, how about a new Speed6 AND a new Harley (or used musclecar) instead of that GT500? The math isnt too far off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
socsndaisy
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing