Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a grey GT. My first "new" car and I love it. The only problem is the sliding armrest on the center console. As a very tall guy, my arm rests naturally when the armrest is in its retracted position. Unfortunately, if I come to a sudden stop, the deceleration causes the my arm to pull the rest forward. I wonder if anyone has the opposite problem with it sliding back on acceleration.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas or advice for ways to secure to armrest in the retracted position? I assumed there would be a locking mechanism but no such luck.

Thanks!

PS. This is my first real post so forgive me if it was rambling or should have been in another category. :confused:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
364 Posts
Dont listen to tiger... He loves that soul red too much to trade it away, but for your armrest problem: when it is retracted put something inside to block the sliding path, so the only way it can move again is if you open up the armrest and remove said blocking item.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Shadow I just wanted to trade consoles!! :( I had to try, my soul red isn't going anywhere, you're right! Though my wife's new true red club hardtop miata is sure making me dislike soul red in the early AM when it's that wine color and hers is blazing red like my old viper red Z28 was LOL.

I'm surprised mazda doesn't have a built in way of blocking it. Most consoles have notched positions and you have to pull a lever or slightly pull the lid up to clear the block.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm surprised mazda doesn't have a built in way of blocking it. Most consoles have notched positions and you have to pull a lever or slightly pull the lid up to clear the block.
I readily agree. The entire console and armrest looks like it was sourced from a very large Tonka truck. Actually, thinking back to my childhood, every one of my Tonka toys was much more substantial and solid than this console and detentless, poorly executed armrest. That's one thing that was much better executed in the 2013 Honda Accord V6 Touring I was considering. Actually, I had deposits on both cars, and the 2013 Grand Touring 6 in Blue Reflex arrived first. My wife thought the Mazda was worth buying for the true Blind Spot Monitoring vs. the stupid camera on the Accord (and that was only on the right side, the left side got a crazy mirror that mimics what they use in funny houses). The camera set-up was more a gimick than a true safety device. I liked the 278 hp V6, but was not crazy about the rumble-strip type vibration many owners report upon cylinder re-activation when the 3 dormant cylinders fire back up after the V6's cylinder de-activation cycle. I was also leary that the Honda V6 was belt vs metal timing chain. I wasn't too keen on having do do a belt and water pump at 100K, assuming the car wa still around at that point. Not having a crystal ball, we decided to take the "6" and hope for the best.

The craziest part about comparing the two cars was the Honda with 100 additional HP and $3,600 higher MSRP ($2,700 difference out-the-door) was actually $118 cheaper to insure than the Mazda. This was using Erie Insurance. Maybe other companies rate the cars differently, but when I was coming up, the more powerful and more expensive car was always more expensive to insure. :eek:

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Count me in as someone short. :lol: My right arm rest (if ever) always on the hand brake, nearest the gear shift lever. Said arm also gets busy with frequent 6MT shifting work out (Burn those fat flabby arms!!)...so no complaints here about any sliding arm rests. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am so tempted to just take tape to the damn thing! Oh and did everyone see they are fixing all the current driver frustrations in the 2016 model? All new front console and dash. Should have got the VW CC like I wanted!

·
Registered
241 Posts
my arm rest has never slid on its own. I have never had that problem. the arm rest is the best thing ever. Extended while I'm driving, retracted while I'm chilling and hanging out. Wherever I need it whenever I need it. It's perfect!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I'm glad I've left mine alone so it can still slide as I too like to extend it while driving but retract it to access the glove box (you can't reach the handle to open the glove box when the rest is fully extended), but I still wish the detents were a bit more resistant to force.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Removing the armrest

Can ANYONE give a specific instruction on how to remove the 2014 Mazda 6 GT telescoping armrest??? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to pop that thing off. I need to replace it because the cheap material has split. I have read there is a panel somewhere exposing the pins but have yet to find it. Thank you!

·
Registered
40 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts