Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed today. My driver's side request switch stopped working. The switches on the passenger's side door and drunk work. Did anyone experienced this? If possible and nothing major, I want to fix this myself, perhaps a loose connection in the door?

My driver's door handle was a little loose since the car was new (still kind of new, 3 weeks old). There's movement on the door lock cylinder cover, and it kind of squeaks when I pull on the handle. How hard is it to get in there to tighten it up? I'm thinking there maybe moisture in there since in rained *HARD* couple days ago and I left the car outside the garage for a free wash ;) May not have been a good move especially since I just installed the MS CAI.

I know you guys are thinking just let the [email protected] dealer fix it. Because I don't trust any dealer working on any cars, not even an oil change. The dealer ruined my 2003 M5, the major reason I have an MS6 now. I know in most cases you have no choice, but if this is a simple matter of tightening things up and/or fix a loose connection, I'd much rather do it myself.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I just noticed today. My driver's side request switch stopped working. The switches on the passenger's side door and drunk work. Did anyone experienced this? If possible and nothing major, I want to fix this myself, perhaps a loose connection in the door?

My driver's door handle was a little loose since the car was new (still kind of new, 3 weeks old). There's movement on the door lock cylinder cover, and it kind of squeaks when I pull on the handle. How hard is it to get in there to tighten it up? I'm thinking there maybe moisture in there since in rained *HARD* couple days ago and I left the car outside the garage for a free wash ;) May not have been a good move especially since I just installed the MS CAI.

I know you guys are thinking just let the [email protected] dealer fix it. Because I don't trust any dealer working on any cars, not even an oil change. The dealer ruined my 2003 M5, the major reason I have an MS6 now. I know in most cases you have no choice, but if this is a simple matter of tightening things up and/or fix a loose connection, I'd much rather do it myself.
[/b]
Someone else posted with this problem a month or so ago - the request switch was dead.

I have taken my cars to dealers numerous times for warranty work and other service. I think you need to get over your fear and take it to the dealer - sounds like you had the dealer hell. What are you going to do when your axles break (seems to be a popular problem this morning)? Eat the cost of a new one and install it yourself? :nana:

·
Registered
829 Posts
Mine acts up once in a while where I push it once or twice and it doesn't work. And that's for all(?) the buttons. Maybe my battery's running out, but yeah, don't think there's much you can do besides the dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For sure the problem is only with the driver's door request switch. The other two switches work perfectly.

I'll wait a few days to see if it magically fixes itself. I really *HATE* to have the dealer touch anything on any of my cars unless absolutely necessary, which of course amounts to probably 99.99% of things that need repair. I was hoping someone would tell me it's a loose switch, bang on it and it's fixed :D

I am still in awe how absurdly incompetent the techs are at the BMW dealer. I kid you not, everytime I bring my M5 in, not only is the original problem not fixed, but I get a new problem! Two very recent examples: replaced instrusment cluster, and my nav keeps locking up ever since; replaced fuel level sensor twice, fuel gauge is still nuts AND my garage is filled with fuel vapor after refueling! And everytime I do an oil change, they overfill it. Worse time was 1 1/2 (one and a half!) quarts!!!

I didn't mean to get started with this totally OT topic, and it kills me everytime I think about my ruined M5, but I thought I should explain my general lack of confidence in having anything done at the dealer.

Mine acts up once in a while where I push it once or twice and it doesn't work. And that's for all(?) the buttons. Maybe my battery's running out, but yeah, don't think there's much you can do besides the dealer.
[/b]

·
Registered
940 Posts
For sure the problem is only with the driver's door request switch. The other two switches work perfectly.

I'll wait a few days to see if it magically fixes itself. I really *HATE* to have the dealer touch anything on any of my cars unless absolutely necessary, which of course amounts to probably 99.99% of things that need repair. I was hoping someone would tell me it's a loose switch, bang on it and it's fixed :D

I am still in awe how absurdly incompetent the techs are at the BMW dealer. I kid you not, everytime I bring my M5 in, not only is the original problem not fixed, but I get a new problem! Two very recent examples: replaced instrusment cluster, and my nav keeps locking up ever since; replaced fuel level sensor twice, fuel gauge is still nuts AND my garage is filled with fuel vapor after refueling! And everytime I do an oil change, they overfill it. Worse time was 1 1/2 (one and a half!) quarts!!!

I didn't mean to get started with this totally OT topic, and it kills me everytime I think about my ruined M5, but I thought I should explain my general lack of confidence in having anything done at the dealer.
[/b]
That sucks so bad - especially on an M5. I think they would have to be punished....

·
Registered
856 Posts
Give it a little bit to dry.
I got a scare this weekend with the downpours here.
I drove about 50 miles in the ran then parked the car. Ten minutes later I get back in the car (using the request button to unlock) and the key cylinder would not turn. The KEY light on the dash was lighting red as well. When I got home I tried the other key, well same thing. After waiting a couple of hours it magically worked again.

Someone stated that there is a major component of the keyless under the rear bumper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK it "magically" fixed itself this morning :hoho: I had to be moisture.

So, does anyone know how hard it is to kind of tighten up my door handle? Specifically, do I have to gut out the entire door panel to get to it? I imagine so.. Just thought I'd ask in case it is somehow do-able from the outside.

·
Registered
651 Posts
OK it "magically" fixed itself this morning :hoho: I had to be moisture.

So, does anyone know how hard it is to kind of tighten up my door handle? Specifically, do I have to gut out the entire door panel to get to it? I imagine so.. Just thought I'd ask in case it is somehow do-able from the outside.
[/b]
I actually had this exact problem yesterday...I looked all over for this post last night and could not find it (even with the search). So I went back down to the garage and checked the lock again again...here it worked. It failed on me twice...both times I went over to the passenger side and everything was fine over there.

My wife also stated having the problem a couple weeks ago. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with washing the car and the button getting wet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It cannot be coincidence. My problem started after I got a free wash (left it outside during rain). Two days later it started working again.

I actually had this exact problem yesterday...I looked all over for this post last night and could not find it (even with the search). So I went back down to the garage and checked the lock again again...here it worked. It failed on me twice...both times I went over to the passenger side and everything was fine over there.

My wife also stated having the problem a couple weeks ago. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with washing the car and the button getting wet.
[/b]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts