Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone figured out how to do this?

I've been looking all around what I can see of the back of the headlights trying to find a screw that would let me adjust the height of the beams but can't find anything for that.

I do see the adjustment with an electric motor attached. I assume that is for the left to right adjustment since these headlights aim left and right as you turn the wheel.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I posted how to do this a few months back. The car has to be in ACC (dash lights on but engine off). If not, the auto leveling will keep overriding your adjustment. You need a long Philips head screw driver that gets inserted thru holes near the tops of the headlights. Do small, incremental adjustments and be carful not to bend the teeth on the adjustment gears. I don't know if there is a way to adjust the left-right swivel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I posted how to do this a few months back. The car has to be in ACC (dash lights on but engine off). If not, the auto leveling will keep overriding your adjustment. You need a long Philips head screw driver that gets inserted thru holes near the tops of the headlights. Do small, incremental adjustments and be carful not to bend the teeth on the adjustment gears. I don't know if there is a way to adjust the left-right swivel.
Do you have a picture of what hole or opening the access is through?

Also, I wish there was a good way to search only Gen3 areas of the forums. LOL I tried to find something on headlight adjustment but was wading through tons of stuff from Gen1 and Gen2.

EDIT: I dug through post you'd made in the past, think I found a photo someone else posted. Looks like it's the adjustment screw I saw but assumed was for left to right since it had an electric motor. I didn't even realize our cars had an auto adjustment up and down too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, just got done. Here are some more detailed instructions.

1. Put car in ACC by pressing the Start/Stop Engine button twice with your foot NOT on the brake. (this keeps the auto-leveling system from canceling out your adjustments)
2. Turn on headlights if they are not on.
3. Have a 1/4" socket wrench, a 6" 1/4" extension, and an 8mm 1/4" socket. (the off white plastic head of the adjustment screw is 8mm in size and also has a place to adjust with a flat head screwdriver but the space is so cramped, it's easier to use the 8mm)
4. Looking at the headlight housing from the back of the car, turning it counter-clockwise will raise the headlight while clockwise will lower it. Basically, set your socket wrench to loosen a bolt which will raise the headlights...tighten would lower them.
5. Refer to images. Do the drivers side without the extension and the passenger side with.

Thanks to Trippp for getting me on the right track.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ok, just got done. Here are some more detailed instructions.

1. Put car in ACC by pressing the Start/Stop Engine button twice with your foot NOT on the brake. (this keeps the auto-leveling system from canceling out your adjustments)
2. Turn on headlights if they are not on.
3. Have a 1/4" socket wrench, a 6" 1/4" extension, and an 8mm 1/4" socket. (the off white plastic head of the adjustment screw is 8mm in size and also has a place to adjust with a flat head screwdriver but the space is so cramped, it's easier to use the 8mm)
4. Looking at the headlight housing from the back of the car, turning it counter-clockwise will raise the headlight while clockwise will lower it. Basically, set your socket wrench to loosen a bolt which will raise the headlights...tighten would lower them.
5. Refer to images. Do the drivers side without the extension and the passenger side with.

Thanks to Trippp for getting me on the right track.
Do you mind if I grab this set of instructions and add them to the thread here? http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical-lighting-audio/379681-consolidated-3rd-gen-how-aim-your-headlights-thread.html

Also - it looks like the adjustment screws can still be moved using the long philips screwdriver method... can you confirm that is correct?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you mind if I grab this set of instructions and add them to the thread here? http://forum.mazda6club.com/electrical-lighting-audio/379681-consolidated-3rd-gen-how-aim-your-headlights-thread.html

Also - it looks like the adjustment screws can still be moved using the long philips screwdriver method... can you confirm that is correct?
Those little teeth look fragile as hell so I'd avoid it. Those aren't meant for adjustment to my knowledge.

As for snagging instructions, have at it!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Those little teeth look fragile as hell so I'd avoid it. Those aren't meant for adjustment to my knowledge.

As for snagging instructions, have at it!
FYI - the factory service manual instructions call for using a long philips screwdriver and those teeth. I've adjusted my lights that way, and had no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for sharing the writeup! I'll be sure to credit you in the post.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI - the factory service manual instructions call for using a long philips screwdriver and those teeth. I've adjusted my lights that way, and had no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for sharing the writeup! I'll be sure to credit you in the post.
Well that's good to know. When I looked at them last night, they looked so thin I could just imagine breaking the teeth.

Oh well, I don't have a screw driver that long anyway. :)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yall just saved me $50 by not having to buy that CS bracket!

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Our 2017 6 came with halogen light bulbs so I put on LED bulbs on my truck and they are bright so I said let me put them on the 6 wrong they aren’t as bright and why is because of the projection lenses it scatters the light so it’s not bright.

So I viewed some vids on You Tube and sure enough projection lenses need HID light kit so I ordered some eBay OPT7 Blitz kit and it was a no go they didn’t turn on I had to buy and install a OPT7 relay kit now they turn on and are bright I’m very happy with them.

Another thing our 6 is not a Grand Touring so if the GT comes with LED bulbs they must be dark at night or I’m I missing something just sharing?

One more thing I bought the 55watts Blitz kit for $29.99 or was it $39.99 and the relay kit was less than $10.00 bucks it’s still cheaper than OPT7 LED kit that won’t be as bright.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The LED headlights on the GT are bright; similar to the factory HIDs I had on a different vehicle. The GT LED headlight assembly appears to be an engineered unit, which is different than just throwing an LED bulb into a socket.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Our 2017 6 came with halogen light bulbs so I put on LED bulbs on my truck and they are bright so I said let me put them on the 6 wrong they aren’t as bright and why is because of the projection lenses it scatters the light so it’s not bright.

So I viewed some vids on You Tube and sure enough projection lenses need HID light kit so I ordered some eBay OPT7 Blitz kit and it was a no go they didn’t turn on I had to buy and install a OPT7 relay kit now they turn on and are bright I’m very happy with them.

Another thing our 6 is not a Grand Touring so if the GT comes with LED bulbs they must be dark at night or I’m I missing something just sharing?

One more thing I bought the 55watts Blitz kit for $29.99 or was it $39.99 and the relay kit was less than $10.00 bucks it’s still cheaper than OPT7 LED kit that won’t be as bright.
Those 55watt bulbs get HOT. Domt be surprised I'd your light output starts to diminish. The heat will melt the cheap chrome on the projector bowl and it will start to bubble and peel.

www.Hidplanet.com has a wealth of knowledge, but dont go there will a narrow mindset. It's a lot of useful information regarding and proven FACTS about hid and led lightening.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the info guys and would you suggest I put on 35 watt HID bulbs?

Another thing are your saying the 55 watt bulbs I have will ruin the projector assembly because I don’t need that?

I wrote that the Grand Touring comes with LED bulbs I’m thinking the headlights on them should be dark as they were when I tried them any input on this guys??
Thanks! RJ

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks for the info guys and would you suggest I put on 35 watt HID bulbs?

Another thing are your saying the 55 watt bulbs I have will ruin the projector assembly because I don’t need that?

I wrote that the Grand Touring comes with LED bulbs I’m thinking the headlights on them should be dark as they were when I tried them any input on this guys??
Thanks! RJ
I would suggest 35 watts. OEM hid projectors have fried from using 55 watts. I'm sure a halogen projector would be no exception.

OEM LED headlights are engineered units. They are not last years headlights with LED bulbs thrown in. My uncles has a 2017 Acura MDX with LED headlights and those things are AMAZING. It's right up their with ANY OEM HID system.

SOME oem projectors, HID and / or Halogen has good and bad outcomes with LED bulbs. Some halogen projectors have good results with HID bulbs, and some dont. Some oem reflectors have good results with HID bulbs, and most dont. It just depends. Not everything works with everything else.

My wife has a $31k 2016 Kia Optima, with halogen projectors. I have some led bulbs coming today to see if they perform better, before I buy a HID kit from www.theretrofitsource.com.

It's all trial and error. In the end, the halogen bulbs may be the best answer since that is what they projectors were designed around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
Zoom-Zoom6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing