Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching for topics on fuel/engine additives but didn't come up with anything so here's my post. I mentioned to a mechanic at firestone that I used a Gas treatment and Fuel Injection cleaner additive in my car. He told me that was the worst thing I could do because those are made up of mostly water. Basically, I'm asking can anyone shed some light on wether fuel additives are ok for the car or not? I checked bobistheoilguy.com and read some interesting stuff on oil additives and i'll never be using a oil additive for sure. But i'm curious on the fuel additives. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
On a side note using water is actually one way to clean your intake manifold. You spray very very tiny amounts of water into a reved up engine, the heat vaporizes the water and steam cleans the inside of your engine...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I tried searching for topics on fuel/engine additives but didn't come up with anything so here's my post. I mentioned to a mechanic at firestone that I used a Gas treatment and Fuel Injection cleaner additive in my car. He told me that was the worst thing I could do because those are made up of mostly water. Basically, I'm asking can anyone shed some light on wether fuel additives are ok for the car or not? I checked bobistheoilguy.com and read some interesting stuff on oil additives and i'll never be using a oil additive for sure. But i'm curious on the fuel additives. Thanks.
[/b]
When I had my Talon Tsi awd and my RX-7, I went to Autozone and Meijer (similar to Wal-Mart) to their automotive section for additives. I forget the stuff I used to use, but it came in a 4-pack of this thin aluminum canisters as a "HORSEPOWER BOOSTER ZOMG!". Anyway, truth behind SOME of the additives out there is they can add +1 or +2 octane points to your pump gas, just read the labels and do some math. The stuff I used was poured in a nearly empty tank, then I'd pump in some 93 octane fuel for a total of roughly 94 or 95 octane. It wasn't terribly expensive for the 4-pack and I never had knock issues, so I was content.

On a side note using water is actually one way to clean your intake manifold. You spray very very tiny amounts of water into a reved up engine, the heat vaporizes the water and steam cleans the inside of your engine...
[/b]
There are water injection kits you can buy for engines that do the very same thing. Homemade kits are fairly easy to compose, but premade kits can be slightly more accurate. They do clean the manifold, TB, valves, etc by a process of steam cleaning pretty much. They can also be used to cool the intake air by a few degrees, and you can swap or mix the water for a solution of ....someone help me with the chemical...methanol?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Here's a whole product line of chemicals and services that do work! I know from heavy personal experience (I'm a service manager and have used this stuff for 18 years!!). Click here for product info: BG Products and here to find out where you can get it: BG Find-a-shop.

:seeya:

·
Registered
456 Posts
SEAFOAM!!!!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
i used it in my old tbird, its mainly used to convert regular atf to a synthetic, i used it and saw a diff because we had a TC shutter if merc V wasnt used, and after a day of that stuff in regular atf the shutter went away.

·
Registered
919 Posts
i used it in my old tbird, its mainly used to convert regular atf to a synthetic, i used it and saw a diff because we had a TC shutter if merc V wasnt used, and after a day of that stuff in regular atf the shutter went away.
[/b]
They sell Lubeguard Platinum in the silver bottle, which is an additive that you put in to existing Merc V, and it supposed to make it shift much smoother.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Raynman, don't forget that if this is your first time using FP, do a shock dosage (2-3 oz for 5 gallons of gas) for the first tank.

After that, go with 1 oz for 5 gallons.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts